Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does WL eventually stop when you reach goal?

I am about 20 pounds from goal and I wonder how you finally stop your weight loss? My husband asked and I have no idea so I thought I would ask?

Hi, I'm still pre-op so I'm not answering from experience, but I imagine once you reach goal you adjust your calorie intake up slightly so that you remain at a stable weight.

:thumbup:

Tiny bit of an unfill maybe?

I got to goal, and then passed it by 19 lbs and started to look a little gaunt. So I stopped exercising as much.

Plus as months passed, I didn't feel as 'tight' as I used to be. So I ate more and my weight stabilised. I still get the occasional fill if I'm getting too loose but I've probably only had a couple of small fills since hitting goal (and refilling after my plastic surgery)

You can keep going and lose more if that's what you want to do, because only you know what the weight looks like on you. I am now about 8-10lbs more than at my lowest recorded weight (so still 8-11lbs under goal), which actually puts me on the high end of 'normal' BMI. But I actually think I look better now than when I was thinner. I actually have some boobs and bum!

So really nothing much happens when you get to goal. If you want to maintain that weight, you eat more and exercise less. If you want to go lower, you carry on doing what you're doing now!

I am about 20 pounds from goal and I wonder how you finally stop your weight loss? My husband asked and I have no idea so I thought I would ask?

If your band will let you, just increase the calories you're taking in. If it won't, get a slight unfill so you can.

This post brought a smile to my face... I thought it was poetic that "WE" can actually ever worry about such a thing as losing too much weight or being too thin... I'm still at the beginning of my journey and hope to actually see the day where that is really a concern for me... I will Happily dance across that bridge when I come to it. Congratulations for getting only 20 pounds from your goal weight! Thats fantastic...

I actually got a slight fill today. I talked to my fill tech and he basically said the same as Lellow. you get to know your band well enough to know what you need to do to gain, lose, or maintain. I don't think I am at that point yet, but home to be soon! As of this morning I was at a BMI of 27.4, so I am inching closer to "normal".

My goal was low, a BMI of 22, which the nutritionist who I saw exactly once swore I'd never make. Not that I was every a BMI higher than 36, so I dont know why she was so negative.

I didnt need to do anything to stop. My last 10 lb took about a year to lose, so my weight loss just got slower and slower and eventually petered out and by pure coincidence it was at about 70kg which was my goal. i did go past that a tiny bit, but only by a pound or two.

I exercise like a maniac but my weight stays absolutely steady - I dont lose or gain no matter what I do, so the exercise obviously works, lol.

Over time you do get looser too, I can eat things in ways I never could have two or three years ago. So I dont need to unfill, but nor have I needed a fill in well over a year now.