Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated with my band!

Can anyone shed some light on this scenerio? I have had my band for about 16 months (down 83 pounds so far) so I realize that it can go through it's tight times and not as tight times. My last fill was back in early August. For about a month I've been noticed a big difference in tightness. It's like my band is too tight all of the sudden. This morning I even PB'd water! That's frustrating. I've also noticed several other things such as "acid-like" stomach/ heartburn and a few times I've had some problems breathing at night- I've woken up gasping for air. I'm sure that can't be good. I live overseas so it's difficult for me to see my doc. There is someone here that I can go to, but it's in a foreign language so I only want to go unless it's absolutely necessary! I'm going to try only having liquids for a few days and I'll see how it goes. Has anyone ever gotten their band completly unfilled before? Thanks for your help!

Heidi, good job on going liquids for a few days. Give that band a rest! You may also try an acid-reducer like Prilosec, or Pepcid, or Zantac, or something like that to cut down on your reflux...which is what it sounds like you have.

The cure for the tightness, ultimately, is a small unfill. You may be able to manage through it very carefully since it's difficult for you to see your band doc quickly (or I'd recommend calling ASAP!)

Remember this: the tightness causes reflux which causes irritation which causes PB's which cause more swelling which causes more irritation and reflux...round and round you go. You will never get any relief if you can't deal with the reflux. If you cant' get an unfill (just a small one) then treat that reflux first and give your stoma a rest with liquids. You MAY be able to lose a few pounds which will naturally loosen the band a bit and things will slowly improve. With all this going on and PBing your risks for slippage, and erosion, too, I guess, are increased. Be careful. Feel better!

Editing to add:

I'm not surprised you PB'd Water in the morning after dealing with nighttime reflux. You HAVE to deal with the reflux or you are sunk! Good luck...got get 'em!

I wake up gasping for air at night. Have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, which has nothing to do with the band as I haven't been banded yet. That could be your problem in the sleep department. Hope you get feeling better.

Time for a bit of an unfill, I'd hazard to guess. Last time I was having night reflux and couldn't drink in the mornings (Water, coffee, anything), that's what it was. I was waking up at night gasping for 3 days straight - it was hell. The dr took out 0.1ml and the world was a much happier place lol. I could instantly feel the difference.

If you can get to a doctor, it'd be a good idea to do so. Leaving it as is can irritate your esophagus and stoma, which will make it worse.