Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

severe shoulder pain

Guest Tammiv

Guest Tammiv

I am 1 week post my lap band surgery via laproscopy. I am having sever Left shoulder pain. It is coming in waves. Could this still be from the gas they pumped me up with. I also feel some of the gas in my lower abdomen. I am using a heating pad and took some of my lortab to help ease the pain. I was in the car when it started and was having panic attacts because the pain was so sever. Has anyone still had this 1 week post op??

Thanks

Dear Tammi,

Your pain is very normal. I had sever pain for the first 2-3 weeks and then very uncomfortable pain for antoher 2 weeks. I was banded on Aug 7th.

If you want to get rid of the pain, WALK, WALK and WALK some more. This is the only thing that kept me from crying. As you walk around the gas starts to move and slowly move out.

Most people experience this only for the first 2 weeks. I guess I was one of the lucky ones to spend numerous sleepless nights! Heating pad helped me somewhat but really it was the walking that saved my sanity.

Good Luck,

Mary

Hi Tammi, I also suffered from the shoulder pain after being banded it lasted 5 weeks but each day it gets less. Mine was actually better if I just laid still but as others have posted walking helped them.Hope you are feeling better soon. Roxanne

Guest DanWood

Hi Tammy-

The pain I had in my left shoulder felt like a pinched nerve. I tried heating pads, but that didn't work. I found the best thing to work was a stick on pain patch. It cured the pain in a couple days.

Dan

I am having that severe shoulder pain as well. I am 4 days post surgery. At this point i am willing to try anything.

I am curious what is "stick on pain patch"?

I have this as well, it was so bad that I was in tears and pain meds DO NOT help. I had NO IDEA!! Walking helps, the heat pad helps. I had my dh pat my back (actually more like pound it) while I was pacing like he was burping me and that seemed to help.

I had a tip from a nurse to try hot Water with a wedge of a lemon and some sweetner for gas in general. That is usually given at the hospital if you stay overnight, but I didn't spend the night so I didn't get it. I tried the lemon thing. It helped with my burping/gas when I eat but not the shoulder pain.

For sleep I use the heat pad, it helps me not feel the "pinch" gas pain. I'm open for any more tips. Its better today, but its still fairly annoying. I still can't take deep breaths.

I too was banded 2 days ago and have severe left shoulder pain. I talked with the nurse who said it is normal b/c of the gas and should subside. I have 2 friends who had gastric bypass who both had shoulder pain and it lasted 2-4 wks. I have been moving my arm all around and doing exercises with just my left arm, and walking. It is helping somewhat but does require meds to take the edge off.