Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about exercise/calories consumed

I'm really trying to make it a point to exercise more. I usually do the 1 mile walk for weightloss (15 minutes) through Comcast OnDemand each day (hey, it's something LOL!)

Yesterday I woke up at 5 am and couldn't sleep, so I did one mile in 15 mins, plus did the 2 mile walk in 30 minutes when I got home (I was feeling ambitious LOL).

I just entered my foods on dailyplate.com and it looks like I took in 1348 calories, burned 414 with the exercise for net calories of 934, took in 72 ounces of Water and 129 g of Protein. I NEVER eat this many calories (usually end up eating about 1,000), but I guess all the exercising made me hungry, but I did eat good, protein-rich food. My question is, does this look like an optimal plan to lose the 1-2 lbs per week or do I need to add more calories (or hopefully exercise less LOL)?

I'm just not sure the best way to make the numbers work and want to be sure this is the best way to go because I know if the calories get too low then the weight loss plateaus....

Thanks for your help!

I'm really trying to make it a point to exercise more. I usually do the 1 mile walk for weightloss (15 minutes) through Comcast OnDemand each day (hey, it's something LOL!)

Yesterday I woke up at 5 am and couldn't sleep, so I did one mile in 15 mins, plus did the 2 mile walk in 30 minutes when I got home (I was feeling ambitious LOL).

I just entered my foods on dailyplate.com and it looks like I took in 1348 calories, burned 414 with the exercise for net calories of 934, took in 72 ounces of Water and 129 g of Protein. I NEVER eat this many calories (usually end up eating about 1,000), but I guess all the exercising made me hungry, but I did eat good, protein-rich food. My question is, does this look like an optimal plan to lose the 1-2 lbs per week or do I need to add more calories (or hopefully exercise less LOL)?

I'm just not sure the best way to make the numbers work and want to be sure this is the best way to go because I know if the calories get too low then the weight loss plateaus....

Thanks for your help!

I had the same question and so I went and "googled" what your intake should be to lose weight weekly and still get your nutritional values each day. What I got out looking is that it is basically comes down to "calories in, calories out" when you look at losing weight and that there are 3500 calories in 1 lb. of fat... if your goal is to lose a pound a week, you should concentrate on a 500 calorie defecit per day to meet this goal (500 calories x 7 days = 3500)...My curiosity was mostly how many carbs should you be consuming on a daily basis because I have REALLY cut out these in my diet but know your body needs these to make it. I read that a 2000 calorie diet should take in 250 g of "good" carbs (whole grain bread, cereals and pastas, nuts, seeds, legumes, fruits and vegetables) and AVOID "bad" carbs (sugary Snacks, pastries, sugar-sweetened soft drinks, candy, Cookies, greasy chips and most processed, packaged snack foods). I hope this help you and keep the good work...your looking great!!!:smile2:

Hey! Well every body is different an loses differently. I work out pretty intensley 6 days a week. I eat less that 1000 cals a day, 40-50 carbs, and I need to be driinking more Water. My surgeon said to stick to low carb, low sugar, high Protein. What your doing looks good nutritionally. I would say up your workout, I know thats not what you want to hear. Sorry

you basically need to deficit 1000 calories to lose 2 lbs a week (that is if you are counting your exercises properly and your food)

Hey! Well every body is different an loses differently. I work out pretty intensley 6 days a week. I eat less that 1000 cals a day, 40-50 carbs, and I need to be driinking more Water. My surgeon said to stick to low carb, low sugar, high Protein. What your doing looks good nutritionally. I would say up your workout, I know thats not what you want to hear. Sorry

Everybody's body DOES NOT lose differently. If you burn 3,500 calories more than you consume, you will lose a pound. If I burn 3,500 calories more than I consume, I will lose a pound. If Queen Elizabeth burns 3,500 calories more than she consumes, she will lose a pound.

100 calories of carbs is the same as 100 calories of fat is the same as 100 calories of protein when you are talking weight loss.

Just as a ton of feathers is just as heavy as a ton of bricks.

The advantage of eating Proteins over carbohydrates is that proteins will fill you faster and contain nutrients which are necessary to keep our bodies strong. A lot of carbs, like those in processed food are empty calories without any nutritional value.

Fats on the other hand can be both bad and good. Saturated fats are the ones we are warned against because they tend to clog our arteries. Unsaturated fats lower cholesterol and help our blood flow better.

The difference is in what people burn, so that what you have to eat to get that 3,500 calorie deficit differs for everyone, I can do that easily on 1,500 calories a day which is quite a lot for a woman, but that's because I'm very active.

The real test is just see how your body goes on that sort of intake. Many people start exercise and then wonder why they havent lost weight - the answer is they consciously or unconsciously eat more. I'd say an increase of almost 400 calories in your daily intake compared with just over 400 burned is not going to result in terrific weight loss, if you were at a steady rate on 1000 or less.

But you might be surprised. Perhaps try to keep it to 1200?

I just bumped a thread called "calculating your calories" which gives a formula for calculating how many calories you need to maintain a specific weight. This will vary by individual because you have to take into account your height, age and activity level.

I think you can go to the mayo Clinic's website and they have a calculator as well. Just put in your goal weight and it will tell you how many calories you would need to maintain that weight (usually around 1800-2000). Drop down to 1400 and you can see how you'd lose 2 lb. plus per week.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, ElfiePoo!