Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I reward myself with a smoke.

I guess I never noticed till I started battling with smoking and other issues before my surgery. I REWARD MY SELF FOR A JOB WELL DONE.When I finish washing dishes.I notice I want a smoke.I made the bed I want a smoke. I never noticed that I reward myself. I am cutting straws and sticking them between my fingers when I drive because I drive and smoke. I have not quit all the way but I am down to about four a day.My husband is trying to quit also. Talk about fighting like cats and dogs. Yesterday he threw a loaf of bread at me.

Oh boy, two at once quitting is hard. Sorry DH threw the bread at you. My DH quit right after my DD was born 4 years ago. He went on zyban and did really good with it. He never had a cranky bone in his body but does now LOL !!

Good luck to you, sounds like your doing really well. Just keep reminding each other that the crankyness is b/c of the smokes and that you still love each other.

BRAVO !!!

WOW

Yes 2 in the same house quitting and the same time is definetly tuff. But you sound like you have a handle since you are down to 4 that is pretty good.

We have a gal here who is 4 months preg and I can bet she increased a pack.. go figuer..

I feel your pain! Hubby and I quit 2 years ago- cold turkey- together. It was an experience to say the least.

BUT- I will say this-

It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but the best thing I ever did for myself and my family.

Good luck :)

Yesterday he threw a loaf of bread at me.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Yep, it's the "if I don't take care of me noone else will" thinking that keeps you needing the rewards. I haven't figured out how to think around that one yet. It's on my list of things to do :)

Hola I quit 5 years ago after 23 years YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I miss it sometimes but life is better this way. I don't stink all the time. You will notice the difference soon after you quit. I used the patch.< /p>

Good luck Oh yeah the cranky does get a little bad until you get better.

Elda

I quit smoking ove 2 years ago - after having the habit for over 40 years. I've had 3 kids, including a c-section and one natural chilbirth, hysterectomy and back surgery - NOTHING was as tough as quitting smoking! LOL

I used the patch also - helped a lot! And please don't tell me how expensive the Patches are - add up the cost of cigarettes for a year and compare the savings! LOL

You can do it! Fortunately my DH quit long before me - or I might not be here and able to post today! I WAS A BEAR! But, I'm so proud of myself now!

Wow! fighting two war"s on Different Front (" food & SMOKING ") it can be done but I wish you SUCESS on that as that is a big deal. but you can do it be strong for your self.

Just think of your health! And the long term"s effect's. And most of all your Lung"s

I' hope you and your hubby will get along.

Life will get better in a few day's Good luck! most of all God bless.

I was a two-pack a day smoker until I had 5-way-bypass surgery in 2001. They took my cigarettes away from me of course. I didn't even know I went cold turkey. I was to preoccupied with the pain I was in from them cracking open my chest and coughing up all the junk that had accumulated from smoking, which caused even more pain. It was a vicious circle. If you want to quit smoking easily then bypass is the way to go :) You are in so much pain a cigarette never crosses your mind. I've been off cigarettes and can no longer stand to be around smoke at all. 5 years and I would never turn back.

GL in your Quest. I'm sure if the circumstances would have been different I would probably be saying it was the hardest thing I had ever done too, but the heart surgery was far worse. I don't wish it on anyone in this world. So stay healthy and dump those cigarettes.

Too funny!!!! My husband threw my fishing pole in the Water when I asked for fresh bait........on our 4th day of no nicotine. I am fighting the battle still. DH has been good and not had one for about 4 months, I am back to half a pack a day. I will have to try the straw thing. I just crave one on the drive home from work, that might help. Good luck with quitting, it is tough but can be done!!

I think two at the same time is the only way. Otherwise, one is always following the other around trying to get a contact high off the fumes.

My husband had a heart attack at age 47. So he "quit smoking" right about the time they hooked him up to the oxygen. Three days later, I drove up to the hospital, parked, put out my cigarette, put the rest of the pack down on the bench by the ashtray and went in to get him. Neither of us has had one cigarette since then. (I had a 37-year habit; his was a little shorter because he's a little younger.)

My only wisdom on the topic is that I had always previously focused on the stopping. I did just fine once I stopped worrying about how to stop stoking and focused on how to BE a non-smoker.

It's been five-and-a-half years and every once in a while, I think, "Boy! If I had one, I'd smoke it." And then I think, "What an idiot THAT would make you."

Good luck,

Sue