Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post-op and hungry?

I am doing my liquid diet and occasionally sip on broth but I am soooo hungry! What can I do? Any ideas?

Are you getting enough Protein? They tell me 60 grams per day is key. I'm 3 days post surgery and have no hunger. I'm on mostly liquids though they allow cream of wheat, sugar free pudding/jello, yougurt. I've been making protein smoothies with sugar free yogurt, banana and Protein Powder. I also got these Liquid Protein shots (26grams of protein) that I mix in Vitamin Water or gatorade. If you're getting enough protein, maybe you can try the sugar free Jello to fill you, they're only about 10 calories.

I am doing my liquid diet and occasionally sip on broth but I am soooo hungry! What can I do? Any ideas?

Also if you go to www.unjury.com the chicken Soup flavor protien is excellent.

For me the hunger was bad post surgery. I made sure I drank all the Water I could and started walking. Exercise and water both help with the hunger a bit. But for me, it was still tough. No wait, it IS tough....still.

I was completely and totally miserable until I could advance to mushies....So Good Luck!!! If your doc allows cream of wheat or pureed oatmeal those did help fill me a little but it didn't last long. Also the Protein Drinks did little...although I was required to drink them (and did) I felt the same as if I'd been drinking water...it's miserable and has its own special name of "bandster hell". My best advice is drink drink drink, drink constantly it was the only thing that kept me from going NUTS those 2 weeks.... GOOD LUCK!!!!

I am 12 days post-op and I am suppose to stick with mushies for 3 weeks. I have not been able to stick with it. I am struggling with head hunger and giving into regular food. My weight is already going back up!:cursing: I don't know how not to give into temptation.... Night time is my worst time. How is everyone else being able to stick with their regimen? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I know I've been told this before but doesn't Water go right into the big stomach? Is that true with all liquids also? Just want to double check

I cannot even imagine being hungry. I had my surgery 4 days ago and am still extremely nauseated and in terrible pain from all the gas. I've been choking down a few mouthfuls of cream of wheat and Jello just so I can take the liquid pain medicine. My doc certainly didn't prepare me for this much pain!

I cannot even imagine being hungry. I had my surgery 4 days ago and am still extremely nauseated and in terrible pain from all the gas. I've been choking down a few mouthfuls of cream of wheat and Jello just so I can take the liquid pain medicine. My doc certainly didn't prepare me for this much pain!

Hang in there. The outcome is awesome. Make sure that you are walking and try Gas-X strips if you haven't already for the gas. A heating pad might work for you also. Good luck to you. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I promise.

I know I've been told this before but doesn't Water go right into the big stomach? Is that true with all liquids also? Just want to double check

Your little pouch is like a funnel. The Water or liquids don't exactly go right through you. It does take a short time. But yes they do go through faster then solids. The more solid the food is, the slower the food goes through to the big stomach. Protien shakes are thicker and go slower than water would.

I am 12 days post-op and I am suppose to stick with mushies for 3 weeks. I have not been able to stick with it. I am struggling with head hunger and giving into regular food. My weight is already going back up!:scared2: I don't know how not to give into temptation.... Night time is my worst time. How is everyone else being able to stick with their regimen? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I too am 12 days post op... and am on the mush but told to start carefully reintroducing regular foods like chicken, fish, veggies, etc. Last night I had 3 oz of fish and 1/4 cup macaroni & cheese, technically I was supposed to have 1/4 cup of mashed potato with it but I am glad I didn't. I was SSSOOO full and still today I feel like I ate way to much! I think it may have been the pasta!

Night time snacking is my problem too! I need help when the DH comes into the room with a bowl full of popcorn or chips and I know I can't have them! Help! advice please???? :cursing:

I am 12 days post-op and I am suppose to stick with mushies for 3 weeks. I have not been able to stick with it. I am struggling with head hunger and giving into regular food. My weight is already going back up! I don't know how not to give into temptation.... Night time is my worst time. How is everyone else being able to stick with their regimen? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hang in there Dawn, I felt just like you do. I was starving. Plus I was doubting my decision to have LAP-BAND®. I started thinking "oh no another failed diet", and I paid $10,000 for this one! I chose the LAP-BAND® based on the fact that I was always HUNGRY:reddevil: and that is what was causing my weight gain. I didnt drink sodas or eat unhealthy food I was just HUNGRY:reddevil:,even after I just ate. Then I had my first fill and everything turned around. I had to really start eating slow and cut my food into 1/4 inch squares but I was no longer HUNGRY:reddevil:. The hungry devil was gone. During the month after surgery I had to tell myself "I can do anything for 3 weeks", "I can do anything for 9 more days". Resist as much as possible, dont beat yourself up for the weight gain and just try to make it for the next 9 days. Once you start with the fills and are able to eat everything will be ok!

I also needed to replace the physical act of eating with a hobby. I know this sounds weird but I missed the physical act of eating. Kind of like a smoker who enjoys playing with the cigarette. Try something like scrapbooking, knitting, cut out pictures from magazines and make collages etc., they dont have to be expensive or even pretty just the physical act of doing something will replace the physical act of eating.

You can do it, dont let the doubt win!

Hang in there Dawn, I felt just like you do. I was starving. Plus I was doubting my decision to have LAP-BAND®®®®®. I started thinking "oh no another failed diet", and I paid $10,000 for this one! I chose the LAP-BAND®®®®® based on the fact that I was always HUNGRY:reddevil: and that is what was causing my weight gain. I didnt drink sodas or eat unhealthy food I was just HUNGRY:reddevil:,even after I just ate. Then I had my first fill and everything turned around. I had to really start eating slow and cut my food into 1/4 inch squares but I was no longer HUNGRY:reddevil:. The hungry devil was gone. During the month after surgery I had to tell myself "I can do anything for 3 weeks", "I can do anything for 9 more days". Resist as much as possible, dont beat yourself up for the weight gain and just try to make it for the next 9 days. Once you start with the fills and are able to eat everything will be ok!

I also needed to replace the physical act of eating with a hobby. I know this sounds weird but I missed the physical act of eating. Kind of like a smoker who enjoys playing with the cigarette. Try something like scrapbooking, knitting, cut out pictures from magazines and make collages etc., they dont have to be expensive or even pretty just the physical act of doing something will replace the physical act of eating.

You can do it, dont let the doubt win!

Thank you! I too am struggling with the physical act of eating. I know exactly what you mean. I will eat when I am not hungry. I try to find something else to do but so far I keep giving into temptation... ugh. I am feeling ashamed of myself. I sure hope that after my first fill I will be able to resist.

I am also still having terrible shoulder pain. I would have thought it would be gone by now. Has anyone else had shoulder pain as far out as two weeks post-op?

So glad you asked about the shoulder pain...I'm just 4 days out but my left shoulder is absolutely killing me....hurts worse than labor did for me!

I have shoulder pain every afternoon/evening... so much so that one day I thought I was literally having a heart attack. When I asked the nurse about it she said I may just be drinking in to much air when I drink my water... OMG I don't know how to take a smaller sips... Any advise from anyone out there? I don't want to live on or have to take stock in gas ex!