Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I am really scared!!!!!!

My lap band surgery is scheduled 3 weeks from now. I have been reading some post, and I am really scared. I read that the band can slip and you can be strangled to death; WOW, this is really scary. Can the band actually slip up and cause you stop breathing? I have already been so nervous about the operation, and now I am even more stressed out. Please Help.

My LAP-BAND® surgery is scheduled 3 weeks from now. I have been reading some post, and I am really scared. I read that the band can slip and you can be strangled to death; WOW, this is really scary. Can the band actually slip up and cause you stop breathing? I have already been so nervous about the operation, and now I am even more stressed out. Please Help.

I really do not believe that is possible. I have NEVER heard of such a thing! The band is placed around your stomach, nowhere NEAR your airway. If you are really concerned about this, call your surgeon, and ask. But you cannot believe everything you read on these boards unfortunately.

That sounds a little far-fetched to me. Even if it were possible, there is probably more of a chance of an aircraft crashing into your car.

Are you afraid to get in your car?

It is normal to be anxious or scared but don't let it get out of control.

My LAP-BAND® surgery is scheduled 3 weeks from now. I have been reading some post, and I am really scared. I read that the band can slip and you can be strangled to death; WOW, this is really scary. Can the band actually slip up and cause you stop breathing? I have already been so nervous about the operation, and now I am even more stressed out. Please Help.

You may be referring to the post that someone made that their friend warned them about being banded because they "knew" someone who choked in their sleep and died. If that is it, the band didn't actually strangle them.

I have been banded for 18 months and it has been incident free. I don't, however, keep my band really tight. I think that is where most of the problems occur. A band that is too tight can cause issues. Research the band and the rate of problems. Find out the kinds of problems that occur and what causes them. Then, make an informed decision. For me, it was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

As far as being scared and stressed, I was 40 years old and had never had surgery before. I was TERRIFIED! The surgery was easy and I have never regretted it. You chose this surgery for a reason. Don't rethink yourself because you heard a horror story or two. There are those in everything from childbirth to dental surgery. Realize it is not the norm and you will be calmer.

Of all the surgical risks that are disclosed that is not one I've ever read or heard of. Yes, the band can slip, but from what I've heard and read when that happens, no food will go down at all. My daughter was banded before me and really did all the research...I just relied heavily on her and knowing how thorough she was. I was 58 when I had mine last year. I surprisingly wasn't nervous at all. I was excited because I had seen my daughter's incredible success. That's not to downplay the risks because there's risk with any surgery but I felt the risks of continual high blood pressure and horribly high cholesterol was just as high a risk considering that strokes are prevalent in my family and that's family members that didn't have the obesity factor tied in.

It has been the best decision I've made in many many years and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck on your decision and your journey!!

Just don't expect the same results as bypassers...they lose big time quick but also have lots of complications. Banding will be slower but incredibly consistent.

Trisha