Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch Size??? Confused!!

I went to a support group at my doctors office this week. It's led by a nutritionist and a nurse. Everyone was talking and the question came up about how much we should be eating. The nurse that leads the group said that the pouch hold about an "egg" size amount of food. She gave cc's and all that, I thought that we could eat 1/2 to 1 cup at a sitting. If the pouch is only the size of an egg, it seems unlikely that we could get enough into our systems. I am confused. I can eat more that an egg sized amount of food, I feel satisfied, but am not losing that quickly. Should I be getting another fill and eating less? I wonder if I am eating too much or perhaps my pouch is too big?

Maybe she's talking about a Goose egg? :)

If you are losing 1-2 pounds a week, getting about 1000-1200 (or as per doctor's orders) or are a bonafide Turtle, then you probably don't need a fill.

We are all unique, and some people may be able to eat more and some are able to eat less.

You are losing an average of 2.7 pounds a week, so you definately DO NOT need a fill at this point!

HI, I was at the meeting with you last Wednesday I have lost 97 since April 18th and I can eat more than nurse linda was talking about too. I have had 2 fills and feel satisfied after a "lean cuisine" sized meal.... could I eat more without getting sick ...probably, but I stop there and am doing well. We are all different, so who knows maybe some people need less but I do well with more...I think if I was only able to eat an egg sized amount I would never be able to get in all my Protein. Even with tthose yucky tasting Protein Shakes I choke down once a day.

Remember that the pouch is not a closed system, and the stomach tissue stretches when food is introduced. When empty the pouch might indeed be egg-sized, but that doesn't really mean all it can hold at one time is that much.

Seppi, I was at the meeting too! Where were you sitting? (Sorry if we've met, I have no brain left.) :)

Alexandra, I was sitting across the room from you with my friend. I thought this group was better than the 1st one I went to 2 months ago. (you weren't there for that one) I hope they get a bigger room. I find it helpful-I kind of wish they had it more often. After the surgery I felt kind of "out there alone"

I guess I was a little surprised at the egg size idea. I thought I had more space, maybe that's why when I eat I look at the amount and see that there really isn't much there but apparently there is enough. I am still trying to learn that many times my eye are bigger than my stomach. I haven't lost anything in the last 3 weeks. I know that we are looking for a better way and it's not all about the numbers. But...I kinda need the visual of the scale going down.