Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-band Blues

I have to tell you all that ive been having a real rough time. I'm almost 6 weeks post-op and i haven't weighed myself since 4 weeks ago. I can tell that ive gained some if not all my weight back. I know that this is a "recovery period", but im so depressed and ashamed of myself that i can't control myself. I have NO restriction, im waiting for my first fill on Nov. 7th. I called the head nurse and i told her im really struggling and she said "OH NO, i hope you didn't gain any weight back? Just drink Water when your hungry". I was like..."HUH"? If i could DO THAT i wouldn't have done this SURGERY!!!! Anyway, don't get me wrong i love my band so far, but im freaking out about what my doctor is going to say when i go in to see him. See most of their patients are bypass. They lose like crazy, so i think they expect me to lose the same way! I was thinking about going on a liquid diet (again) the week before i see my doctor. It's gonna be tough, but im just scared. What should i do? Oh man, i sound like nut don't i???

-RUBINA

Rubina -

Don't be so down on yourself. Everyone is different with the band. Try going on anything that you know will make yourself feel better about your efforts.

Don't be trying to measure up to anyone else's surgery or procedure. Your doctor is going to treat you like the individual you are - ( sincerely hope) and help you.

6 weeks post op is still really new to be expecting anything but recovery. Your body is adjusting.

Sincerely,

Nancy

I gained weight between my surgery and my first fill. It isn't that uncommon either.

Please don't be so hard on yourself. You haven't even begun to lose weight, since the band is not designed to work without a fill, right? In fact, without a fill it is as if you were never banded in the first place!

Be kind to yourself.

I have to tell you all that ive been having a real rough time. I'm almost 6 weeks post-op and i haven't weighed myself since 4 weeks ago. I can tell that ive gained some if not all my weight back. I know that this is a "recovery period", but im so depressed and ashamed of myself that i can't control myself. I have NO restriction, im waiting for my first fill on Nov. 7th. I called the head nurse and i told her im really struggling and she said "OH NO, i hope you didn't gain any weight back? Just drink Water when your hungry". I was like..."HUH"? If i could DO THAT i wouldn't have done this SURGERY!!!! Anyway, don't get me wrong i love my band so far, but im freaking out about what my doctor is going to say when i go in to see him. See most of their patients are bypass. They lose like crazy, so i think they expect me to lose the same way! I was thinking about going on a liquid diet (again) the week before i see my doctor. It's gonna be tough, but im just scared. What should i do? Oh man, i sound like nut don't i???

-RUBINA

I agree with the other posters. Don't be too hard on yourself. This isn't another diet, but a lifestyle long term. You are in the first six weeks without a fill. All you can do is try to eat sensibly and exercise to get your metabolism revved up. You aren't a crazy person, but have food issues like the rest of us! Take care of yourself and give yourself a pat on the back. You've made an important step, in having WLS.

Please, please don't be so hard on yourself. There's no need to punish yourself with another week of liquids. This journey really starts after you get a good fill. I know the waiting stinks, but hang in there. You will succeed! :)

First I read a post from a woman with terrible hunger pains after her lap banding, then this poor woman who says she has no restriction. Now I have to ask myself, do I really want this surgery I thought I wanted. Does anyone have anything good to say about this. I could sure use it.

Tommorrowsdream, There are many, many people who go through this process without any problems. I am one of them (so far at least). I had no hunger pains during the post op diet and I have great restriction after 1 fill. I couldn't be happier with my band.

Remember, many of the people posting are facing challenges, but that doesn't mean that the majority of people have problems. People who are doing fine don't have as much reason to post.

Can the post op diet be frustrating? Yeah, but it's a few weeks and then it's over. Do you need a good fill amount for the band to work properly? Yes, and it can be frustrating for some people to find that level. But once you do, boy is it worth it!!

I'm not trying to downplay the risks and complications, because they certainly exist.

If you want to hear about other peoples experiences I would suggest starting a new thread with your concerns so that they can be addressed specifically.

Tommorowsdream....I have been one of the lucky ones myself...not alot of pain, bounced back pretty quickly. I can't say I've been hungry yet...but I have gotten bored by the limited choices (on the 2 weeks of liquids for example).

Rubina...Like the others said, don't be so hard on yourself. The thing witht he band is...it can be tweaked. You just need a little tweaking for your tool to work right for you. Instead of punishing yourself....just practice following the band rules and make sure you are getting enough protien right now. I'm sure it will be easier once you have a fill. Hang in there. Everyone is different you will be fine.

Melissa

First I read a post from a woman with terrible hunger pains after her lap banding, then this poor woman who says she has no restriction. Now I have to ask myself, do I really want this surgery I thought I wanted. Does anyone have anything good to say about this. I could sure use it.

I'm only out one week and I want to hit a buffet. I am starving, ravenous. I feel like I have no restriction b/c I can drink Water like I did before surgery.

Lots and lots of people I know don't lose until thier fill so please, let this just be a learning time. Doctors and nurses should not put you down for gaining, they of all people should understand the process.

And just to say, I know 2 people who have had the bypass and have gained ALOt of weight back. Don't second guess your decision. Get up, brush your knees off and get that fill that you so deserve. YOUR WORTH IT !!!

Hugs and kisses and remember, you have us :)

I'm only out one week and I want to hit a buffet. I am starving, ravenous. I feel like I have no restriction b/c I can drink Water like I did before surgery.
Ah ha ha ha ha! There is a world of different between drinking water and eating chicken! I generally have no restriction when I drink water either, although I did have this one episode with crystal light... chicken is the thing I probably get stuck on the most.

There is a big difference between being filled and not. There is even a big difference between being filled and not being at the proper fill level!

There is also a big difference in the healing stage.