Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-band Blues

I have to tell you all that ive been having a real rough time. I'm almost 6 weeks post-op and i haven't weighed myself since 4 weeks ago. I can tell that ive gained some if not all my weight back. I know that this is a "recovery period", but im so depressed and ashamed of myself that i can't control myself. I have NO restriction, im waiting for my first fill on Nov. 7th. I called the head nurse and i told her im really struggling and she said "OH NO, i hope you didn't gain any weight back? Just drink Water when your hungry". I was like..."HUH"? If i could DO THAT i wouldn't have done this SURGERY!!!! Anyway, don't get me wrong i love my band so far, but im freaking out about what my doctor is going to say when i go in to see him. See most of their patients are bypass. They lose like crazy, so i think they expect me to lose the same way! I was thinking about going on a liquid diet (again) the week before i see my doctor. It's gonna be tough, but im just scared. What should i do? Oh man, i sound like nut don't i???

-RUBINA

I had my band Aug.24th, and I've done really good. I didn't have any restrictions until my 2 fill. All banders lose slower thean bypass. Your Dr. will be understanding. Wait until you have had 3 fills. Then you'll know restriction, and the weight will start coming off. I've lost 35lbs., and 24 1/2 inches so far. I guess it is different for everyone. Good luck........

Rubina,

Oh goodness, what a horrible response the nurse gave you! Certainly didnt make you feel better.

YES! weight gain is commen before the first fill. Basically just trying to maintain the original weight loss is a struggle during this time.

Ive heard of patients asking the surgeon (or your pcp) for diet pills. Another thing that I did, was go for a walk! (if you can) Everytime the eating urge was stong, Id take the kids and we'd go for a stroll.

Also, s/f popsicles seemed to aid and sooth me at this time. I think I ate a 1/2 a box a day, then wash 'em down with a big glass of Water.

Good luck - this is really the hardest part of it all. I promise!

I have to tell you all that ive been having a real rough time. I'm almost 6 weeks post-op and i haven't weighed myself since 4 weeks ago. I can tell that ive gained some if not all my weight back. I know that this is a "recovery period", but im so depressed and ashamed of myself that i can't control myself. I have NO restriction, im waiting for my first fill on Nov. 7th. I called the head nurse and i told her im really struggling and she said "OH NO, i hope you didn't gain any weight back? Just drink Water when your hungry". I was like..."HUH"? If i could DO THAT i wouldn't have done this SURGERY!!!! Anyway, don't get me wrong i love my band so far, but im freaking out about what my doctor is going to say when i go in to see him. See most of their patients are bypass. They lose like crazy, so i think they expect me to lose the same way! I was thinking about going on a liquid diet (again) the week before i see my doctor. It's gonna be tough, but im just scared. What should i do? Oh man, i sound like nut don't i???

//

-RUBINA

Hello

Im glad you wrote this! now I don't feel so bad! I keep losing & gaining back 2 pounds !

I also was hungry and eating ! I just had my first fill on Nov. 2nd. I feel some restriction , but still I don't think its enough. In the last week I have lost 0 pounds ! Its a little depressing! But after reading a response to yours about not really feeling restriction until the 2nd or 3rd fill makes me feel better. Because I still get hungry ! drinking Water does not help me either ! but the s/f popsicles do work good for satisfying your sweet tooth. Just hang in there it should get better for us both.

banded 9/15/2005

215/198/140

I just saw your post for the first time--but I gotta tell you are not alone--I went through the same thing with gaining a lot of it back--grrr. The good news on that is--after your fill--you should get *some* restriction--depending on you and how aggressive your doc is. I finally have restriction--and it does come off---you CAN do this---as far as what the nurse said---I have one thing to say to that pbbtthhhhhhh (rasberry here) I am about 4 months out--and 45 lbs down since my pre-band diet (that is losing most after the 2nd fill (only 3 lbs on the first fill) and still moving down---anyhow--you are NOT alone by any means

shrina

7/12/05 Dr. Kuri

274/230/125-150

3 fills Dr. McKeen currently 2.4cc in a 4cc capacity 9.75ml inamed band

-RUBINA