Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Replacement

I have the Realize Band and I was banded on 2/11/09...I found out yesterday under fluro that my port has to be replaced...My doctor was having trouble hitting my port during fills so he decided to do it under fluro...Once he was in the saline didn't move up the tubing so he tried dye and it didn't move either so after several attempts he thinks my tubing has a kink in it...So I'm scheduled for surgery as of right now on Jan. 27th...My question is has anyone else had to have their port and tubing replaced and what was your experience? I know everyone's situation and experience is different just curious...Thanks for any replies...

Hey there, I just got back from my Dr. today and they found a leak in my realize band.... He would not tell me how much but he did gove me a heads up that it would be expensive...Can you tell me how much it cost you if you are self pay. I am really upset, but the only thing I can do is hope that when he give me a figure..that I can afford it! Today's visit to Radiology was $700.

I hope your replacement went well...how was your recovery?

Thanks

Hey Lambishop, I am very fortunate that I am not a self pay but none the less of course I still have a hospital bill since both surgeries. I'm still waiting on the "final" total after insurance pays. My anesthesologist bill was around $1900 before insurance and the doctor/hospital bill was around $17,000 before insurance. I had my port replaced. My doctor was able to use the same tubing he just shortened it. My band was never touched so I still have my original realize band. My doctor did tell me if he ever had to go in again dealing with my band that he would have to replace the entire band again cause he left just enough tubing to go from the port to the band and he didn't like my answer. I told him if he ever had to go in there again for any reason he would be taking everything he put in there OUT!! And wouldn't be replacing anything. I know everyone's experience and surgery is different. For me my 2nd surgery was harder then the first. The main reason for that I think is because I wasn't happy about having to have it done but I felt like I had come to far to not do this atleast one time even though I really have lost very little weight. But what I had lost I felt so much better. Plus he went in 3 of my incisions from the 1st surgery making one of them about 3" long and it was like 1" to 1 1/2" before. I did use more pain medication with my 2nd surgery then my first. And this time the anesthesia kicked my butt. No nausea or anything like that just no energy what so ever since my surgery I still feel sluggish and I'm 6 weeks out. My 2nd surgery was 3 days shy of being a year from my 1st surgery. I felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach when my dr. said welp were gonna have to replace your port and tubing. My office will call ya and set up a time for surgery. Of course my doctor is a whole other issue....

So is your doctor replacing your entire band (band tubing port)? I hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly. I also hope you will be able to afford the surgery. I feel for you cause it's really frustrating and discouraging to find out you have to have surgery again for basically the same thing. Please keep me posted. E-mail me if you want on the site if you want to keep it more private. Thanks for your post and I look forward to hearing from you!!

Edited by dragonfly34

Oh my goodness...that is horrible. I am sorry that you are going through so much. Hopefully this is your last issue!

I actually had my surgery in Mexico...but I swore I would never go back..not the Dr. or the hospital, but all of the kidnappings, burglaries and killings...and oh by the way...the dirtiest place I have ever seen.

I kept saying to myself..I can't believe I came here. But I may be going back if my Dr. comes back with anything like the figures you paid.

I just can't afford that. I have already gone back to my old eating ways somewhat. I have gained 13 lbs.

I will find out hopefully Monday how much my Dr. is going to charge here..I just wanted to get some input and brace myself. I can't take anymore surprises. I will keep you up to date and I hope you are getting back to feeling better soon!

Lambishop, thanks so much...You went to Mexico? Wow!! I have gained some of my weight back as well. Before surgery I told my dr. I was hungry and he was like well I don't know why you would be because he thought my tubing had a kink in it...I've gotten 2 different stories on him on what happened...He told my mom after surgery that the tubing had come undone from the port and he put a smaller port in there and was able to use the same tubing...At my 2 week check-up he told me and my mom that the tubing had gotten tangled up in my scare tissue...So I'm not really sure what happened...I really hope your surgery goes well for you and get yourself in the right frame of mind...I look forward to hearing from you and I hope your appt. goes as you would like on Monday!!

Hey Dragonfly34,

Here is the grand total of figures of how much to fix my band..I figured much higher for my Dr. here and lower for my Dr. in Mexico...

Alabama Dr.-$6000 includes everything, anesthesia, hospital and Dr. fees. They said they were giving me a discount, which I really believe they are.

Mexico- $2500 if the port has to be replaced. If it is just the tubing at the port, it will be $1600.

I had read where port replacement tops out at $2000 in Mexico, so I was surprised when they gave me the $2500 figure.

I believe it is the port so I would expect the $2500.

After looking at my checking account, I believe I will have to go back to Mexico. I love my Dr. here and I totally trust him, but the issue is $$$. Times are tight right now.

I probably will wait until May to get the band fixed, but I will let you know how it works out. Hope you are feeling better. It is day by day. How long before you were able to get back to work after the last surgery? I am hoping recovery will be quicker since I weigh less, but who knows.

When I initially had surgeryin Mexico, I stayed in the hospital 3 days(this is standard there) and flew home. At the time the trip to TN was an 8 hour flight. It was unbelievably uncomfortable and painful, but I also could barely fit in the seat.

Well I will run. Keep in touch.

Hey Lambishop, Wow, that is a lot out of pocket. Will your doctor here not let you make payments? I am doing better, thanks, went to the dr. yesterday and for the first time since all this has happened with my 2nd surgery he actually listened. For my second surgery I had it on a Monday and went back to work half a day on Friday. With both of my surgeries I came home the same day. I stayed sore longer with my 2nd surgery then my first. My first surgery was much easier. I hope all goes well for you and you make the right decision for you. It's tough I know cause you are basically starting over and for me that was tough to grasp, the starting all over and it had already been a year....Thanks for keeping in touch...Look forward to hearing from you soon!!

Seems like this should be covered as warranty work.....LOL

JayTee562, I totally agree...LOL!! It's been along road...Thanks!!

Hey Dragonfly34, I had my revision yesterday. I ended up going to a Dr. here in TX. The total fees came to $4593 and I was able to use care credit. Turns out it wasn't the port, but the tubing had become disconnected from the port. He went ahead and replaced the port anyway as a measure. I am feeling ok. Slept most of the day yesterday.

Since I have now gained a total of 20lbs. back in the last 4 months, I have a lot of work to do!

I was really disappointed in myself that I let that weight come back so fast. I could not believe how low my will power still was..you would think after 2 years I would have learned something!

Oh well, here is to our new start. Hope you are doing well. Talk to you soon.

Hey Lambishop, Glad to hear your surgery went well. And also glad you were able to stay here in the states. Hope your recovery goes great and you are back on track in no time. I'm doing ok...still not tight enough but have appt. in couple of weeks. It really is amazing to me how quick you can seem to forget what you have been doing for the last year or two when you don't have enough in your band. Good luck and please stay in touch...

We've received one common request over the last year+ from members on LapBandTalk who've undergone or are interested in the Realize® Band procedure: An online community they can call their own.

Following the success of LapBandTalk and VerticalSleeveTalk, we're happy to announce that we've just launched the beta release of the Realize Band Support Community, located at RealizeBandSupport.com . We're confident that you'll find what you're looking for at the new Realize Band Support (RBS) Community.

If you're currently a member of LapBandTalk or VerticalSleeveTalk, you can just log in with your current credentials, there's no need to sign up for a new account.

Log in now to join the REALIZE Band community and become one of our founding members!

Wondering if Realize® Band is the right choice for you? Looking for information and community after your Realize Band Surgery? Look no further. You'll find everything you need at RealizeBandSupport.com .

I started LapBandTalk the night I came home from surgery mid July 2003. Following my own Lap-Band® procedure, I was looking for information and community support. I came across a few helpful web sites, but they all lacked a sense of actually belonging to a group of people who share many similarities, struggles and habits.

After years of researching and reaching out to the community, we've been able to build the most comprehensive online resources for all types of Weight Loss Surgeries. Hundreds of thousands of registered members contribute amazing stories and useful information to our pages.