Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please share your Pre-Op Diets

I am sheduled for surgery on Feb 4th and my Dr. does not require a pre-op diet. However, this does make me a little nervous! I have read and heard that your post-op diet will pretty much put your body in shock if you don't do anything before...is that true? Anyway, could those of you share with me your pre-op diets so I can do something. I went out and got a container of Protein Shake to start today.

Also, for those of you that did not have to do the pre-op diet do you wish you would have?

Thanks in advance!

(Nervous bandster!)

My required pre-op diet was 2 weeks of Atkins. It was explained to me that too many carbs cause the liver to be thick and then the liver is too hard to retract during lapband surgery. A thick liver is not the same as a "fatty Liver."

Hi.. my surgery is also on Feb 4th! I started my pre-op diet today. I'm on all liquids. My dr. requires the medifast protien shakes. Right now i'm 4 shakes in for the day and I'm feeling a little light headed and weak. I hope it gets easier.

Stacey

My surgery is Feb. 9th and I am starting 2 weeks of Protein Shakes only with no solid food on Monday. I'm quite nervous, but they said I'll probably lose 10 pounds before surgery so that sounds good!

My surgery was Jan. 12 . . . my doctor said 7 days on Carnation Instant Breakfast, and nurse said 7-10 days on it, with one drink within an hour of waking up, then every three hours until I hit 1000 to 1200 calories....did this fairly easily and I think it helped alot. It's like a head start! Good luck!:)

Hi.. my surgery is also on Feb 4th! I started my pre-op diet today. I'm on all liquids. My dr. requires the medifast protien shakes. Right now i'm 4 shakes in for the day and I'm feeling a little light headed and weak. I hope it gets easier.

Stacey

It does get easier, Today was day 4 for me and I have to say tonight I do feel a little better, Just keep in mind the weight you will lose

I had a 3 week pre-op diet of all food because I was allergic to the shakes. I managed to lose 31lbs in 30 days anyway and my liver was fine during surgery, despite having a fairly fatty liver at the start. If you want details, PM me. Gotta warn you though, even though I had all food, it was still no picnic.

Mine was HMR Protein Shakes (which I loathe) sugar free Jello and popsicles, broth, SF/caffeine free beverages (crystal light and water) and pickles...the only solid food allowed was pickles. I will say I cheated with raw celery and cauliflower, and boiled egg whites (don't care for the yokes)...I lost 12 pounds and had no problems with the surgery.

I had a 10 day pre-op diet and the first 3-4 days weren't fun but I think it was because I cut out caffeine and practically lived on it before. I can e mail you my diet plan if you'd like. Just send me a message w/ your e mail address. I got a little bit of food because I am diabetic, but it was all high Protein and very small quantities. I lost 21 lbs in 10 days on the diet though. Good luck!

14 days of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes made with milk, 4 of them, if one is made with Water an additional shake can be consumed.

Looks like Unjury shake for breakfast with 1/2 cup cream of wheat

snack sf pudding

shake for lunch with sf applesauce

snack of smooth sf yogurt

shake for dinner with 1/2 cup low sodium cream Soup

sf popsicles

and additioanl shake for pm snack

If a shake is preped with Water and additional shake may be consumed if necessary.

SF drinks and water all ok too

I start on Friday, should be interesting!

Mine was HMR Protein Shakes (which I loathe) sugar free Jello and popsicles, broth, SF/caffeine free beverages (crystal light and water) and pickles...the only solid food allowed was pickles. I will say I cheated with raw celery and cauliflower, and boiled egg whites (don't care for the yokes)...I lost 12 pounds and had no problems with the surgery.

I notice you had said Caffeine free Now this is the first time hearing this know do you know the reason for that?

hey my surgery is feb 3 and i started my liquid diet on the 20th and i have been drinking Protein Shake in the morning and protien shake in the after noon with Jello or yourt and Protein shake at night.

I haven't started my pre-op diet yet but they gave it to me. It is a low carb Atkins shake for Breakfast and for lunch. dinner is a serving of lean meat and 2 servings of low carb veggies and/or fruit. I will have to do it for 4 weeks. If you have a BMI of 50 or over you have to do it for 6 weeks.

Edited by mimi368