Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op phase complete, but nervous

I've now completed all the steps that were necessary pre-operatively, as my surg month creeps closer, i'm more and more nervous. I have only told 2 people what I have chosen to do and so this is my first publication of my procedure. I'm very scared of the potential cons I may run in to post op but am here looking for encouragement. Any positive words are appreciated =):mad:

Hi Bandaide:

I'm right there with you. I finished the first round of doctor's appointments, waiting for my letter from my PCP and my supervised diet and I'm a wreck as I wait for the insurance approvals. My nerves are more focused around, what if I can't..... get insurance to cover this, stick to the pre-op diet, lose weight after I have the procedure, maintain the weight loss.....

I find that the more I get into this, the better I do feel about it. I have talked to a few of the women in my surgeon's waiting room and felt even better after talking to them. Tomorrow I'm going to my first support group. I read the book, "The Idiot's guide to weight loss surgery" which was written by my surgeon. And I read the blogs on here that I am particularly concerned about. I feel like the more I learn about it, the more confident I become.

I was also afraid of telling people. Embarrassed by my "failures" and what they may think of me. To my surprise, while I have only told a handful of people, every one I told knew someone who had this done and said they were much happier with their decision.

It's not like we have many options out there. You are doing this for a healthier life. I look at it as if I do nothing, then either nothing will change, or more likely, I'll only weigh more. At my age, it gets MUCH harder to loose weight.

Hang in there and talk to people on here who have gone through it. Good Luck!

First of all, you have the cutest poster name -- Bandaide!! :biggrin:

I had a lot of concerns about my privacy about being banded, and I have been glad that I decided not to tell everyone. In particular, I avoided telling people who I thought might be judgmental, who might say annoying things (like "Why aren't you losing more weight?!"), or who might get all food-police-y with respect to what I choose to eat.

That said, I told the closest people to me because I knew that it would be really helpful for me to have their support. And, it really has been.

At this point, I am 15 months post-op and I know what and how to eat in a restaurant to avoid getting stuck. But at the beginning, it was a relief to be able to practice with friends who knew about my surgery. It just took away some of my anxiety about looking weird when eating in public. That said, I almost never get stuck in a restaurant and probably could have gotten away without telling most people.

Also, I wrote out a pro/con list before my surgery and then wrote out what I thought about the cons about 7 months after my surgery. Here is a link -- Chronicles from Band Land: Reflections on my Pre-Op Journal.

I hope that helps! Best wishes for your success!!

Catherine

I am happy to have the support of others! This is mainly WHY I joined the site! SO, thank you guys already for the feedback!!:ohmy: As far as my screen name (LOL) thank you!! I kinda have "that" personality. I figure I might as well take it all in! My Dr. suggested that some of his patients even name their Band.....hhhmm I thought. Since I have only decided to tell those few that like you guys will be a major system of support....what if I did name my band....those who didn't know about the surgery would ask "wow, have you been working out, eating less...?" Response: Yeah, I have a weight loss coach named ______ (ur band name) who teaches me to eat less and even goes to the gym with me! ALL VERY TRUE!! The more I look at pictures and read stories and look at where I am in life, the more I am encouraged that I CAN and WILL do this! When the psychologist asked me that "why are you doing this" question....my reply was simple- I'm doing it to save me life, I'm doing it so that I can plan tomorrow and many more to come! :biggrin: One more concern I have and I'm working with my Dr on this one is, I work in the hospital where I am having the procedure- It's a large hospital, but each morning a surgery list gets faxed to every unit....my unit is an open heart unit- therefore the list is GOLD.....my name and procedure will be listed :blush: I know I know what about HIPPA right?! Well, people don't always follow that when it's one of their own:thumbdown: We are making a strong attempt to put it simply as laprascopic b/c I will also be having a biopsy done at the same time. Hopefully it works out that way!! Thanks again guys and I hope we stay "banded" together! :lol: