Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Down 79 pounds! Now going for my first fill.

Hello All I was banded on 9/9/09 I lost about about thirty pounds pre surgery I have now lost 49 after my surgery. I am heading for my first fill because I am not losing weight and starting to eat more than I should, all though I have not gained which is good. I have lost weight but not at the rate I would think I would. In the past when I would diet and eat around 1900 calories a day I would lose about 3 - 4 pounds per week with no real stalls. After I got banded I am now eating around 1500 - 1650 calories a days and I stall for about two weeks then I lose weight for two weeks is that normal?

My questions:

1.) Is 49 pounds a good amount to lose in the first 4 months? I feel like I did not do very well. I also know its 49 pounds over the holidays very cool.

2.) What is the first fill like?

3.) How many Calories do you eat per day?

4.) How do you handle stalls?

5.) What is your weight loss like... Pounds per week?

Thanks For your help.

High weight: 454

Pre Surgery: 424

Current Weight: 375

Total Weight Lost: 79

Goal Weight: 250

My questions:

1.) Is 49 pounds a good amount to lose in the first 4 months? I feel like I did not do very well. I also know its 49 pounds over the holidays very cool.

Very good weight loss - look at it this way, you are 25% of the way to your goal! I had my surgery in November and had lost about 18 pounds at my 2 weeks check up. Went for my fill last week and I was up 2 pounds after the holidays. The more you have to loose the faster it can go at first. But I'd say you're doing great. I just can't beleive you haven't had a fill yet.....

2.) What is the first fill like?

It depends on how your doc does the fill. Mine has me sit up and drink Water (guzzle like you would a cold beer on a hot day) and he fills me as I'm drinking. When I start burping up a little water........he stops. Easy as pie. I did get a little over filled and he had to remove some - but no biggy. My doc also deadens the port area - no pain.

3.) How many Calories do you eat per day?

Before the fill - about 1200 now only about 500 and most of that is Protein stuff. After I exercise - I'm at about 200 net calories per day. But here's the thing - I have always been very careful of what and how much I eat. I've reached an age that only the smallest amount of food will allow me to loose weight. So the band helps me with the how much and helps keep me full for long periods of time. The what to eat I have down pat.......the difference is if I want a whopper now - it's not going to happen - just can't eat that stuff any more.

4.) How do you handle stalls?

With a fill. My doc says if you stop loosing weight, it's time for a fill. If you get a fill and still don't loose any weight in 4 weeks and the band is tight - you need to look at what you are eating. I've known people who have had the band and threw up almost the entire time.....because they just couldn't or wouldn't controll the types of food they ate. My frustration is that I was 8 weeks post surgery before I had any real restrictions. Before this fill, I could eat anything.....just slowly and in smaller quantities. I beleive the 18 lbs I loss had more to do with my pre-sugery liquid diet versus the band. I'm very, very happy now with my restriction!

5.) What is your weight loss like... Pounds per week?

Can't help you there. Like I said, I belevie I lost most my weight before my band.......but lost 5 pounds last week after my fill. But, my goal is and will continue to be, 2 pounds per week. Once again, everyone is different.......and I think it really has to do with how much you might need to loose. I need to loose 100 and if I can do that at 2 lbs per week, I'll be a very happy woman.

i have never lost 2lbs a week.if i did that in would be ecstatic. i do spurt losing. still trying 2 find a way

I guess maybe I should have said "average" 2 pounds per week. But I had done WW for years and used to average 2 per week. I also track my food intake and my exercise through the Livestrong.com website. I also have the application on my phone. So if I eat it, I count it!