Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can only eat standing up

I know I read a post about this once but I can't find it on a search.

I have had no problems since my surgery in Sept. As a matter of fact I have been losing weight at an astonishing rate even thought I think I eat more than I should.

Well, in the past week I have been having real problems with everything. I can tolerate oatmeal and shakes but anything solid gets stuck. I tried steak, chicken, and fish and they all get stuck, no matter how small I cut or how much I chew. The stuck feeling is so painful but if I get up and walk around for about 10 min. the food drops. I had one PB incident but never vomited.

Yesterday I had some salad and got stuck again. I bent over and that caused the food to move back, my first PB or vomit. Chewed salad is ugly!

I wanted more so I stood at the table and was able to eat the rest of the salad and the chicken in it without incident. I ate more standing than I had when I was sitting and no problems at all.

My last fill was on Dec 2. My Dr felt that I didn't need another since I have been losing at least 3-4 lbs a week. I have approx 2cc in my 14 cc band.

Last night fo dinner (OK do't yell) I had a bag of pop corn and a Protein Shake. I have no problem with popcorn but can't eat chicken cut smaller than the pop corn.

I see my Dr on Jan 26th for my next appt.

Peggie:

Sounds like you may be swollen from the stuck incidents you've had. As far as being able to eat if you're standing up it's probably because your abdomen has more room when you are standing up, so your band has more room too. If it were me having this problem I would go on all liquids for a day or two and then mushies for a day or two and then try eating solids again. If you have difficulties with solids after giving your pouch a rest then you should definitely call your doctor. You don't want the swelling to get out of hand because then you'll risk having worse problems.

One thing to remember is that eating shouldn't be painful and if it is you should call your doctor.

Let us know how you make out. I hope you'll feel better soon.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

Well, in the past week I have been having real problems with everything. I can tolerate oatmeal and shakes but anything solid gets stuck. I tried steak, chicken, and fish and they all get stuck, no matter how small I cut or how much I chew.

I wanted more so I stood at the table and was able to eat the rest of the salad and the chicken in it without incident. I ate more standing than I had when I was sitting and no problems at all.

Did you ever pour Water on popcorn? It melts. Popcorn is a slider food.

I find that if I don't sit absolutely straight at the dinner table, I get stuck on the same foods that don't get stuck when I sit up straight. I didn't realize that I did slouch until I started paying closer attention.

For whatever reason, it sounds like your band is tighter. You can either work with it or get an unfill. Personally with only 2 cc's in your band, I'd work with it.

When you stand you take pressure off your abdomen which is going to take some pressure off your stomach/band too....I'd go with the post above and stick with liquids for a couple days then mushies while things get back to "normal" if you continue to have problems or have true pain you need to call your doc. (and congrats on the amazing weight loss!)

thanks all for the quick replies. I try not to go to the Dr as much now since I have to pay the co pays now that the 3 month mark is up and between all the chemo and regular Docs and the lap band it runs over $100 a month for co pays.

I had oatmeal this morning and did ok, but feel tight. Can't explain to others but I am sure you all know what I feel.

This has helped me lose the weight because I had no willpower before but can turn away those sweets now since the band even though I am not feeling the full feeling yet. I just seem to have more willpower.

I had the band because of health problems and since losing the weight I haven't had to take any blood pressure medicine, my neuropathy is less, and my lymphedema arm hasn't swollen in 3 months so I don't need the daily PT that I did before.

I do miss pizza though, my family had it the other night and I had a piece of broiled chicken...