Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Admitting to people how much you weigh?

I was just curious to know your thoughts on telling people what you weigh/weighed prior to surgery? I ask because a little while I was writing in my blog and I posted my current weight. It's not something I HAD to do, but I wanted to be honest with myself and others. Call it a pre-emptive strike on my embarrasment.

I know that once I get banded and I begin to lose weight, there will be the inevitable "How much weight have you lost?" question. I know that for one, I can't wait to be able to say, "Oh I've lost (insert number) pounds", but at the same time, I keep thinking that they're going to be doing some quick math in their heads trying to figure out how fat I was to begin with...and I have to admit, I get embarrased thinking about that.

How do you or did you handle these situations? And I apologize if this really doesn't make much sense, but my mind has a lot going on and I'm just writing everything out today! :w00t:

I don't think men have much of a problem with this but you can always just brush them off and say you haven't weighed yourself in a while or change the topic slightly and start talking about how much healthier you are or how much better you feel.

Here on LBT it is great to post my weight.

Starting weight, current weight, goal weight, highest ever weight.... whatever.

But out in other life situations .... work, family, friends...

it seems a little different. In some situations, I talk about it and in others I don't. Over the years, people have not just asked, "how much do you weigh?"

Now that I am banded, the people who know ask "how much have you lost?" It feels great to tell them!

I understand what you mean. Currently I weigh 325, but if I lose over 100 pounds, I think I can think "hell yeah!" I think/hope people will be proud instead of judgemental.

People are not stupid. Even if you tell them how much you lost, they're going to be looking at you and guesstimating what you must weigh now and what you must've weighed before.

Kirstie Alley, when doing the Jenny Craig thing, stated she lost x amount of lbs and originally weighed x amount. I can't remember the details at this point but I remember looking at her and thinking, "Liar". If you truly lost that much weight and were the starting weight you said, then you wouldn't still be overweight...which she was.

Personally, since reading Camryn Manheim's book several years back, I am never embarrassed to reveal my weight...even at my highest of 330. I figure if someone is going to look down on me because of a number on a scale, that's their problem...and someone I don't care to know anyway.

In the beginning, it was great to tell everyone how much I had lost, but after I hit 100 lbs, I stopped telling most people. I couldn't stand to watch everyone calculate my starting weight in their head. I realize that people aren't stupid, but most of my normal sized friends think that someone is fat at 200 or 250. They can't comprehend how I've lost more than 150 lbs and still have plenty of weight to lose.

Now when someone asks how much I've lost, I just smile and say, "More than 100 lbs." My close friends and family know the real numbers, but I'll let the acquaintances keep guessing.

Cindy

I have a problem with that too! NOBODY knows my current weight...well aside from my doctors and this entire community! LOL My boyfriend (who had the bypass about 9 years ago) keeps pestering me to tell him and cannot understand why I won't tell him. Maybe once I reach my goal I will tell...but not now.

Oh...and I have had a handful of people say to me "Why are you having it, you aren't that big" I cannot tell you how much that pisses me off!! What are you supposed to say to that?!?! All times I said "umm...yeah I am" LOL :)