Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honestly, do you sometimes miss eating like you used to?

I know this may sound like an odd question, so forgive me in my newness, but I was wondering if any of you find yourself or have found yourself in "mourning" over the things you know that you really won't get to have too often once you've been banded?

I ask this because tomorrow my husband and I are going out to dinner at our favorite restaurant in Orlando, Roy's Hawaiian fusion. It's always a special treat for us to go there and dinner is not just a meal there, but a culinary experience. Sushi rolls so good you'd sell your soul for another, macadamia nut encrusted Mahi Mahi in lobster butter sauce and a chocolate souffle to die for. I'm about 6 weeks or so away from having surgery, so I can't help looking at this as a farewell dinner. I know I'll still be able to eat there once I'm banded, but not what I would normally choose.

I just wondered if any of you have had these feelings and how you adjusted your thinking?

OH yes, there are things I really really miss like a piece of deep dish pizza hut pizza. I physically can't eat that anymore. I also miss chicken wings and I have a hard time with that too. However, when you look in the mirror see the changes, hear the compliments, feel the difference and slip into those skinny high heeled shoes, you will forget all about those Sushi Rolls:)

I am 5 days away from my operation and I honestly have had second thoughts about making this decision. When I began my pre-op diet and noticed my clothes loosening, I wondered if I could do it on my own and maybe I wouldn't need to resort to the WLS. About day 4 of the diet, I began thinking about everything that I may not be able to eat again and knew that it was the right choice...because I started to think about cheating and not following the pre=op diet, which is why I need to go thru with it. My greatest challenge is Portion Control and snacking. This is something I must do for myself to better my life and not live for the food. I know I will struggle at times but I know I will be successful...and so will you. I know how you feel about those special outings for a meal that you just love to taste...Mine is a Whataburger burger...keep your mind focused on your goals.

OH yes, there are things I really really miss like a piece of deep dish pizza hut pizza. I physically can't eat that anymore. I also miss chicken wings and I have a hard time with that too. However, when you look in the mirror see the changes, hear the compliments, feel the difference and slip into those skinny high heeled shoes, you will forget all about those Sushi Rolls:)

I agree with this. The thing I miss the most is going out to eat at my favoirte places and ordering whatever I want off the menu.

But I do not miss it as much as I thought I would. It feels so much better dropping the weight. Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels?

Heck no. I was soooo tired of eating and eating as much as I wanted and then hating myself. Now I eat anything I want - just a Lot less and I feel more satisfied with that then when I was shoveling it in. It's not that I am telling myself that I'm satisfied with it, I really am. I feel like I have been released from my compulsion. No, I have not mourned not eating for even a minute.

I think that because the band allows you to have a little bit of almost everything it makes it easier. I mourned overeating for a while after banding. Occasionally I miss being able to overeat, but the positives that go along with the weight loss far outweigh the negative of missing that "full feeling".

Sue

Sure--like an alcoholic missing the drinking and the zoning out/buzz. I don't think that urge to eat mindlessly (for me anyway) ever goes away. And like Sue Magoo said, we can still eat yummy food--just not as much of it. Plus, an odd thing happened with me: my tastebuds changed. Some things that I used to love really don't taste that great anymore--and other things taste wonderful now. Go figure.

I'm new to this and still not on a regular diet but I've already experienced what you're talking about...we went out for mexican at work yesterday and I had a bean burrito...no chips, no Beans, no rice...just a bean burrito. While it was yummy I was very melancholy over the whole thing. Not that I am coming even remotely close to regretting getting a band, oh no no no. Love it beyond words (so far)...just hadn't prepared myself for a mourning period for food...I suppose I should have realized this beforehand since food has been my best friend and source of comfort for 30+ years....Still worth it though. Had to retire my first pair of fat pants this week and it was awesome! (I'm 1 month out today from my surgery).

Yes, 17 months after surgery I do sometimes find myself mourning certain things. I was a volume eater - I loved hearty mouthfuls of foods, especially my comfort foods, and I still miss that, to some extent. But I've come to realize that that has nothing to do with true physical hunger, and everything to do with the head. The band keeps me from being able to eat like that now, but it's still up to me to manage the desire to do so.

Also, since my latest fill, I can't eat some of the things I was, specifically sandwiches. And I can tell you, sometimes all I want is a sandwich! But it's almost like aversion therapy - if I do try to eat one, I end up getting stuck and being uncomfortable for a while, so maybe, eventually, I won't even want one anymore.

Sure--like an alcoholic missing the drinking and the zoning out/buzz. I don't think that urge to eat mindlessly (for me anyway) ever goes away. And like Sue Magoo said, we can still eat yummy food--just not as much of it..

That's how I felt at the movie theater last week when I fell 'off the wagon'. A little popcorn would not have hurt me and I really really didn't need or want the candy, but once I got started, it was almost as if I couldn't stop. Old addictions die hard. Sadly that was also the first day where my restriction disappeared...or Hilda would've stopped me.

I had another fill on Thursday and have restriction again and as much as I would have liked to have OD'd on the shrimp scampi for lunch yesterday, I knew Hilda would've slapped me hard with pain if I had tried so I stopped after about 4-5 pieces of shrimp.

OH YES! I know this is not good but I really like to cook so anytime I see something I really want I make it for the DH or run it to my kids and their familys. I guess I eat through them. Then I just keep bugging them about how good it is or how it taste.