Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

STARVING after first fill?

Okay, so as I broadcasted yesterday, I had my first fill yesterday morning. I have been STARVING ever since :-(!

I am on liquids until Sunday (I go to mushies then) and Monday back to regular food, but is it normal to be this hungry after a fill? I thought there was a nice honeymoon period right after while the swelling was going down where I wouldn't even want to eat, but it seems I'm ravenous. Is it possible at this early stage I can tell the doc didn't put enough in my band?

HELP! I'm starving!!! :thumbup: :w00t:

Okay, so as I broadcasted yesterday, I had my first fill yesterday morning. I have been STARVING ever since :-(!

I am on liquids until Sunday (I go to mushies then) and Monday back to regular food, but is it normal to be this hungry after a fill? I thought there was a nice honeymoon period right after while the swelling was going down where I wouldn't even want to eat, but it seems I'm ravenous. Is it possible at this early stage I can tell the doc didn't put enough in my band?

HELP! I'm starving!!! :thumbup: :w00t:

how many ccs did u get?

I am surprised you are on liquids until Sunday. I had my first fill one wk ago and I just had to be on liquids for one day and I was sooo full that day I didn't want to eat. I can tell I am eating less now. I am not to my "sweet spot" by any means but it has helped. I get another fill in 3 wks which I hope will help even more. You have done well with your weight loss it looks like!

You may want to call your doctor and see if you can go in for an additonal fill. Also, hang in there. I was very hungry up until my second fill. You may feel some restriction when you get to solid foods again.

I am in the same boat. I had my first fill yesterday and I am also starving. I got 2cc's yesterday which my dr. said was typical. I was in the chat room last night and asked some experienced bandsters in there. They said I was hungry cuz it was liquids but when I get to eat that will be the true test on whether I feel any restriction at all. I don't get to eat until Sunday mushies and Monday reg foods.

We can do this. Just gotta try to get our minds off the hunger. I am trying to drink a lot of Water

how many ccs did u get?

Not sure :thumbup:

This really stinks!

I am in the same boat. I had my first fill yesterday and I am also starving. I got 2cc's yesterday which my dr. said was typical. I was in the chat room last night and asked some experienced bandsters in there. They said I was hungry cuz it was liquids but when I get to eat that will be the true test on whether I feel any restriction at all. I don't get to eat until Sunday mushies and Monday reg foods.

We can do this. Just gotta try to get our minds off the hunger. I am trying to drink a lot of Water

I am hoping you are right about feeling some restriction after we go back on solids. Honestly this is killing me--this is like when I first had my surgery :-(! The worst part is, he filled me, stood me up to watch the barium go down (under fluoro) and said, "Little too tight" so he took some out and had me swallow more barium and said again, "Gotta take a little more out, still too tight" and then he said I was okay, nice and tightened. I don't know--I wonder if there is anything in there at all! It took me SO long to even get this first fill (surgery date was 10/21) and if I'm going to have to live like this for another month, I am going to lose it!

Thanks for letting me vent, everyone. This is what I remember right after surgery like what the hell did I do? LOL I haven't felt like this at all since week 3 post op until now.... Starting to pray....

Just wondering why you need to be on liquid until Sunday. It`s usually a day of liquid. If you`re that hungry, can`t you have some yoghurt, Soup or some sort of mushy food?

You`ve lost considerable amount of weight without a fill for so long though. Well done, hun. Hope the hunger situation subsides soon.

I am hoping you are right about feeling some restriction after we go back on solids. Honestly this is killing me--this is like when I first had my surgery :-(! The worst part is, he filled me, stood me up to watch the barium go down (under fluoro) and said, "Little too tight" so he took some out and had me swallow more barium and said again, "Gotta take a little more out, still too tight" and then he said I was okay, nice and tightened. I don't know--I wonder if there is anything in there at all! It took me SO long to even get this first fill (surgery date was 10/21) and if I'm going to have to live like this for another month, I am going to lose it!

Thanks for letting me vent, everyone. This is what I remember right after surgery like what the hell did I do? LOL I haven't felt like this at all since week 3 post op until now.... Starting to pray....

Yea sounds like you don't have enough in there. I am surprised they have you on liquids for so long. I have had two fills so far and the PA that did the first ones told me no solids for that night but if I could handle creamy Soups then I could have that. When I went back the following week the other PA in the office did my second fill and she said nothing solid for that evening or the next day because it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for the liquid to get to the band. So maybe you don't have enough in there or you just need to give it the rest of today and maybe tomorrow will start to feel restriction.

What you are going through -- I went through for about 5 1/5 months!! hang in there -

Drink as much as you want of the liquids....don't deprive yourself of broth, crystal light, etc.

My surgeon has ALWAYS done the fills and wants 24-48 hrs and then regular foods after that.

Fills are always on a Wed morning - and she wants solids eaten that Friday morning. She always does it like that because she has office hours on Friday mornings and wants patients to be able to come into the office if they are TOO restricted (She says sometimes patients can ONLY take liquids = too tight and they need an un-fill).

HANG IN THERE --- you have been doing great (by the weight loss you've listed!!) :w00t:

This isn't easy --- but possible.:thumbup:

I was banded Dec. 14th and had my 1st fill on 01/05/10.(3cc) I was more hungry after the 1st fill then the surgery. I called the Dr. and went in yesterday. He put in 2 more cc's. It made all the difference in the world. I am not hungry at all.

THANK YOU ALL for your responses. I am so appreciative that I found this board. Honestly, I am really in need of support with this and I feel like I truly have that here.

I just called my doctor's office and left a message asking about this kind of hunger and whether I should be feeling like this. I am just scared beyond belief to even think about feeling like this for an extended period of time. I am truly hoping when I get on solids it will be better. I've already had 70 grams of Protein and I am ravenous!!! :-(

I've had my third fill now and am still hungry. It may take a few to get you going. I have another on Monday and I'm hoping this one will get me serious restriction. I have only a tiny bit now after my third fill.

The slow start is just one of those things we have to deal with. It's a bummer, but the alternative is an RNY or a DS, which is what a lot of us are tring to avoid.

liquids pass through fast so typically they will not fill you up. I experimented last time with a shake that I love. SF carntion instant Breakfast. 1/3 cup powdered skim milk for Protein 8 oz of skim milk 1 tbps Peanut Butter and a few ice cubes. Tastes great though it isnt ultra low in calories. Try not to be dissapointed if you dont get restriction on your first fill. Most do not find full restriction from that. I had 3 so far. I am close but not there yet. Your loss has been great so far.

Greg

I had my first fill and only had to be liquid till the NEXT morning. I think your doctor is too cautious. I would eat some mushies that are low cal and low sugar.

Good luck...

TJ