Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today's reading assignment: Behavior Change

Guide to Behavior Change

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/behavior.htm This is from the US Dept of Health and Human Services website, the National Heart, Lung and Blood, and part of the Obesity Education Itiative. Please follow the link for the full article.

I highly recommend this article to everyone, and no, you don't have to submit a paragraph or two detailing what you got out of the artile. :)

Over the past few years it has become clear that weight is an important health issue. Being overweight is a risk factor for health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides, arthritis, gall bladder disease, gynecologic problems, some cancers, and even lung problems. Some people who need to lose weight for their health don't recognize it, while others who don't need to lose weight, want to get thinner for cosmetic reasons. We understand that in some ways your weight is different from, for example, your cholesterol level or your blood pressure, because you can't see what these are by looking at someone. Many patients have had health-care providers who approached their weight in a less-than-sensitive or helpful manner. Some patients may have had health-care encounters in which they felt blamed, but not helped. Please be assured that when we bring up your weight, it's because we know that this is an important aspect of your overall health care. We understand, though, that successful weight management is a long-term challenge.

By the same token, we may discuss weight goals that are different from those you select. Weight can affect a person's self-esteem. Excess weight is highly visible and evokes some powerful reactions, however unfairly, from other people and from the people who possess the excess weight. The amount of weight needed to improve your health may be much less than you wish to lose when you consider how you evaluate your weight. If we suggest an initial weight goal that seems too heavy for you, please understand that our major emphasis is on your health and that your health can be greatly improved by a loss of 5-10 percent of your starting weight. That doesn't mean you have to stop there, but it does mean that an initial goal of losing 5-10 percent of your starting weight is both realistic and valuable.

Behaviors That Will Help You Lose Weight and Maintain It

Set The Right Goals Effective goals are 1) specific; 2) attainable; and 3) forgiving (less than perfect)

Nothing Succeeds Like Success

Success (But Not With Food)

Balance Your (Food) Checkbook

Avoid A Chain Reaction You might then try to sever the association of eating with the cue (don't eat while watching television)

Get The (Fullness) Message