Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

issues with alcohol after surgery

I never thought about it Steelergirl but I have heard in the past that it is carbs so I guess that would hender the weight loss even more. Everything I eat is low/no carb. I know what it does to me to include it. So it would make sense that alcohol would be the same. Thanks!

As far as needing help, that's why I was asking here b/c I never needed alcohol before surgery. I would drink often but not addicted or anything. Now that I have no food to rely on I think I needed a cruch. I mainly wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Well from my WW days I know that Alcohol slowed my loss because it makes you retain a lot of Water and is a gateway to food drug. I have 1 drink and I think.... wow those fries wont hurt me... I will just have 5. 33 later I and on my 2nd drink. LOL. So I am abstaining until my vacation in the spring so I can look HOT when I go home to CA to visit family.

Sounds familiar! Also, sounds like good advice. Have a great trip. Sounds like you have things together so you will look HOT. You go girl.

Addiction-wise, you've shown very fast symptom substitution---most of us do white-knuckle it quite a bit early on, but avoid turning to alternate destructive behaviors. It really concerns me that you've swapped out addictions so quickly.

Was the psych you saw for preop evaluation worth his/her salt? I would get into a professional ASAP to nip this in the bud. There are healthy behaviors you can substitute for the destructive--no need to replace overeating with alcoholism.

AA would be a great corollary--but I really think that seeing someone who has good experience dealing with the cross-addictions that can occur as a response to bariatric surgery would be a REALLY good idea

I have found Budweiser Select 55 has only 55 calories and very low carbs...so, when I do want to enjoy a beer or two I can without as much guilt. I also found Ocean Spray Lite Cranberry juice with only 40 calories and Tropicana No Sugar Added Orange Juice with only 50 calories per serving to use as mixers with vodka. Now mind you...I don't drink often...but, when I do...I try to maker wiser choices as far as caloric intake. Good luck with your journey!

Alcoholism is something that passes from Mother to Son. There are many cases of alcoholism on my maternal side. I have two sisters and one brother. Oldest sister normal weight not a drinker (though if stressed would eat chocolate for comfort), Brother recovering alcoholic no weight issues, Middle Sister fluxuating weight but never as over weight as me also uses food as a comfort and not really a drinker. Me I have been overweight my whole life I really don't drink (like maybe one a year). To me it sounds like you have transfered your comfort item from food to alcohol (though I am not an expert). I know my biggest food issue is carbs: potatoe chips, corn ships, things that go crunch, cake, brownies, cereals (Oh how I love cereals especially sugery children's cereal). I could eat a half a box of count chocula by the handful no milk required. I no longer buy these things. Period. If I am at a family get together and the menu includes oven roasted potatoes (greek style with garlic) then yes I can have them. Or if there are chips to go with sandwiches that's okay too. But I always make sure it's just a couple. I don't eat half a bag just a couple (I am preband).

I think you need a plan which in my opinion means not having alcohol in your house. I would agree that perhaps you should speak with a professional who can help you make a game plan.

Transfer addictions after bariatric surgery are really, really common. Alcoholism is rampant in my family---so I avoid alcohol for the most part.

Basically, my approach is now that I have limited stomach real estate---and I just can't use it for things that don't benefit my body. While I can occasionally be convinced that the lycopene in a Blood Mary is beneficial, in general I'd rather eat my calories.

We often turn to symptom substitution when one of our crutches is removed. It's so easy for me to see how alcohol or other substances could be substituted for food.

I've chosen to substitute exercise. While I am mindful that this can become a form of bulimic behavior, I'm FAR too lazy for it to reach that sort of proportion, so I view it as a safe, healthy transference.

Take good care of yourself--I think you're really smart to identify a problem early, so that you can address it. There's lots of help available. I bet your surgeon could refer you to an AA group well-populated by bariatric patients. It really is THAT big of an issue.

Good luck and (((hugs)))