Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please HELP ME!!! Post op help

Dear Bandsters:

I had surgery one week ago. I was in a lot of pain. It was no cakewalk. Today I am feeling a little better but I am very tired. I have had ups and downs. I’ve questioned myself about if this was a good decision. I have many questions that I tried to find answers in this lap band website but it’s been hard to find all the answers. They are spread out everywhere, and I feel so weak and tired. I would really appreciate if you could help me. Below I have some questions with numbers. I want to have the best nutrition possible. Can you please copy and paste it to your answer so you can answer them? You have no idea how much this will help (or probably you do since you have gone through this).

• In one week I have lost 10 lbs. Is that average?

• Which are the best Vitamins to take and what dosage?

• What are the best supplements (calcium citrate or the other, etc)

• Any lotions or tricks to prevent saggy skin?

• When will I feel normal again?

• Any good blogs or website that could be helpful now that I have the band?

• Any other good tip you think I should know?

Thanks a lot for being so supportive J

Hi there DaniGirl

Here goes from my perspective:

This is normal for the first week or two then it will slow down and be more consistent. About a kilogram a week.

I take Supradin soluable Vitamins. Not sure if you have these where you are? I take it once a day.

I didn't have any other supplements.< /p>

The only one I could stomach is the Optifast Ceffee shake. It is really nice and tastes just like a coffee milkshake.

Didn't have these either.

Bio-Oil is a good one to help saggy skin and strechmarks. Drink lots of Water and exercise tightens up saggy skin.

I had my surgery on the 17th December and by the 26th I was starting to feel a little more normal. I was very sick and weak for a week after my surgery to the point of not being able to walk around. This was partly my fault as after the operation I didn't drink my shakes because I just wasn't hungry. This lead to muscle loss, feeling unwell and weakness. Once I started to force myself to drink the shakes 3 times a day (took me 2 hours to drink each one) I started to feel better and get more energy.

Hopefully within a week you will start to feel normal again.. It does take time though. Some people bounce back straight away others take longer. Remember you have just had major surgery, so be kind to yourself.

From Fatness To Fitness

• Any other good tip you think I should know?

Take Benifibre or a fibre suppliment to stop Constipation. Make sure you don't buy one that turns to gel in your stomach or you will stretch your new pouch.

Not that I can think of right at this moment... If you have any questions feel free to drop me an email.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon

Nicole

xx

• In one week I have lost 10 lbs. Is that average? probably above average, that is about what i did

• Which are the best Vitamins to take and what dosage? i took the chewable viactiv Vitamins, because I hate the regular chewables

• What are the best supplements (calcium citrate or the other, etc)i took the chewable viactiv

• Best tasting clear liquids protein drinks?i used the New Whey, probably not best tasting, but had 42g of protein in just 3 1/2 oz

• Any lotions or tricks to prevent saggy skin?i wish

• When will I feel normal again?it took me a little over a week

• Any good blogs or website that could be helpful now that I have the band? my friend Amy is amazing. Her blog is entertaining and informational. I suggest reading from the beginning. Her before and afters are inspirational and she isn't finished yet!
  • http://cheeseandsunkist.blogspot.com/

• Any other good tip you think I should know?don't compare your weight loss to others, we are all different AND***** don't be so eager for fast weight loss that you get your band filled too tight. It is a recipe for disaster!

• Which are the best Vitamins to take and what dosage? Try Nutrilite they are all natural

• What are the best supplements (calcium citrate or the other, etc) Nutrilite also has a chewable friut and veggie tablet

• Best tasting clear liquids protein drinks?

• Any other good tip you think I should know? Sorry I am new to this, just banded Jan. 12. No I don't work for Nutrilite but that is what I used during my pre-op diet and really like it. They are not sold in stores so you have to order on-line, click on this link- Optimal Health True Beauty - Home Page.

Thanks a lot for being so supportive J

I am a week post op and yesterday went to the grocery store. I wasn't prepared for the pain in my side that I felt after walking around the store for a while. Felt like a side pain like I had been running or something. Please tell me that will get better. Still having pain at the port site primarily, but I am most concerned about the pain in my side when moving around.

probably a little above the average. just enjoy it while you can because once you transition to solid foods but have no fill, you may stop losing completely or just lose much smaller amounts

Vitamins are a matter of choice. I buy my vitamins in Canada -- Berocca Performance fizzes out in a large glass of Water and I add Benefiber and stick pack of Crystal Light to the mixture. Quite a few people buy Gummy Flintstones and chew up 2 per day. Just look for what you think you can swallow or chew, and a dose that is a decent percentage of the RDA

Again, there are TONS to choose from. Just pick one that has 1000 mg Calcium and Vitamin D added

Can't help you here. I was told as soon as I transitions from liquid diet I should EAT my protein because that will give you a feeling of satisfaction (that means hold off hunger) for a lot longer and liquids because liquids pass out of your pouch quite quickly.

• Best tasting clear liquids protein drinks?

Never used one.

Heck, I'm 59 years old. There's no way I could avoid sagging skin. My doctor told me that even as long as a year after you reach goal weight, your skin can continue to contract....to catch up, so to speak.

You've turned the corner. Every day should be better now.

This website has it all, I think.

• In one week I have lost 10 lbs. Is that average? I lost about 20 pounds in the 20 days after surgery. Most was that first week after surgery. Like the others have said, it will slow down after a couple weeks.

• What are the best supplements (calcium citrate or the other, etc) I take quite a few because of some deficiencies I had prior to the surgery. The only additional one my bariatric surgeon requires is calcium citrate with Vitamin D (the ones from Bariatric Advantage are the BEST tasting and you can order them on their website).

• Best chocolate Protein drinks or powder without chalky taste? I had some pro-cal left over from a weight loss attempt years ago. They are only 100 calories per shake, they mix with Water, and they taste really good. I did have a hard time at the beginning getting more than 400 calories per day so you may want a Protein Shake that has more calories otherwise you may end up super tired.

• Best tasting Clear Liquids Protein Drinks? I didn't do these, so I am not sure. My nutritionist said that Bariatric Advantage had some...

• Any lotions or tricks to prevent saggy skin? Haven't gotten far enough to worry about this yet BUT I hear that keeping up your Water intake will help a lot.

• When will I feel normal again? It took me about a week to feel better and about two to feel "normal". I went skiing three weeks out and regretted it because I did not have enough energy AT ALL!

• Any good blogs or website that could be helpful now that I have the band? There is a great community of Blogger sites. Mine is One Foodie's Band Quest. The first one I came across was Amy W's (the cheese and sunkist one another poster already provided) and on her profile she has a great list of other helpful bandster blogs.

• Any other good tip you think I should know? I think the blogs will have all the info you could possibly want or need!