Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having surgery 01/14/10

So I finally have my surgery date for this thrusday and I'm beyond nervous!!! I'm afraid of the post op pain. Can somebody please tell me what I should expect? Does anybody else have surgery that day also?

So I finally have my surgery date for this thrusday and I'm beyond nervous!!! I'm afraid of the post op pain. Can somebody please tell me what I should expect? Does anybody else have surgery that day also?

Hi, there are quite a few of us having it this day. Here is the link(ignore the 2009, it is Jan 14th 2010)

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f84/january-14-2009-bandsters-where-you-107383/

You might also want to go to the post-op forum and look for the surgery day stories thread--hundreds of stories about what they went through on their surgery day--VERY HELPFUL

Hi Hope, My date is this thursday also. Can't wait to begin this journey. Not worried about pain don't expect it will be bad. I had shoulder surgery last Jan. and that was painful.I am really expecting this to be realatively easy , I haven't heard many complaints. Good Luck ! Think Positive!

Hi there everyone. This is my first post, but I am also having surgery this Thursday, the 14th. I'm excited about it and ready to get on with it so I can begin to eat normal foods again!! (I'm already looking forward to post-op week 3 when I can begin to eat a few things that are soft and pureed!! HA)

Anyhow, I'm not nervous about the surgery at all, just ready to get on with it. Like most people, I've had the 6-month waiting period with supervised diet, psych eval, etc. I just have now found this board, so hopefully it will be a source of support and inspiration!

Nice to meet everyone!

Greg :smile2:

Thanks guys for the info, I'll check the other post out :thumbup: I just want to get it over with because the headaches are killing me with this preop diet!! Do you guys have headaches too?

Greg,

Im new to this also but I have found it very helpfull to read what people like us have been through. And I'm so ready to loose this weight so even if I'm nervous I HAVE to do this! Good luck with your surgery and I'll post after mine to let you guys know how it went.

Yes headaches and sometimes just drained of energy

Don't worry . . the post-op pain isn't that bad. . and you'll have painkillers so it really won't be a big deal. You can read my post-op account on my blog if you like (it's at the beginning).

A few pointers. . .

1. Take your measurements TODAY if you haven't already!

2. Take a "before" photo or 10 to have later on -- you will want this for sure!

3. Bring lip balm to the hospital (I was so happy I had mine. . was a bit thirsty and had slightly chapped lips after surgery).

4. WALK AROUND AFTER SURGERY. . it gets the gas moving out.

5. Your worst pain after surgery (and it was so nothing compared to what I had expected) is from the gas they use during surgery. My shoulder hurt on and off for a while, but the pain faded quite a bit each day. And, it was nothing compared to the pros of finally -- for the first time ever, getting my weight under control and feeling great about how I look (instead of beating myself up mentally every single day about my weight).

Best wishes for your success!

Catherine

Catherine, thank you so much for the info. My surgery went great, I do have some gas pain but like you said, it really isn't that bad. I was up and walking 4 hours after my surgery but I still can't pass gas. I'll post about how my surgery went when I feel a little better.

Don't worry . . the post-op pain isn't that bad. . and you'll have painkillers so it really won't be a big deal. You can read my post-op account on my blog if you like (it's at the beginning).

A few pointers. . .

1. Take your measurements TODAY if you haven't already!

2. Take a "before" photo or 10 to have later on -- you will want this for sure!

3. Bring lip balm to the hospital (I was so happy I had mine. . was a bit thirsty and had slightly chapped lips after surgery).

4. WALK AROUND AFTER SURGERY. . it gets the gas moving out.

5. Your worst pain after surgery (and it was so nothing compared to what I had expected) is from the gas they use during surgery. My shoulder hurt on and off for a while, but the pain faded quite a bit each day. And, it was nothing compared to the pros of finally -- for the first time ever, getting my weight under control and feeling great about how I look (instead of beating myself up mentally every single day about my weight).

Best wishes for your success!

Catherine

You have done a great job and you look fabulous.

Ditto on the gas pain. It is the worst part of the whole thing but it fades each day. They gave me meds to help. It is tolerable. So don't be afraid of it. Walk around after surgery. It helps.