Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conservative VS Liberal

What and who we value as a society is everyone's business because it is what drives the economy. :thumbup:

YOU can't tell ANYONE who to value! If I choose not to 'value' sports players, that's my business. And if I choose not to 'value' movie stars, that's my business. No one can tell others who to value. That's my point.

YOU can't tell ANYONE who to value! If I choose not to 'value' sports players, that's my business. And if I choose not to 'value' movie stars, that's my business. No one can tell others who to value. That's my point.

Where did I say that we should "tell" people who or what to value? I said that who and what they value is what drives the economy and is very telling about the things people find important. And that is MY business.

Unfortunately, our actions tell people who/what to value. We worship sports stars, to they make millions. If we didn't put them on that pedestal, they wouldn't make millions per game, have $200 shoes, endorse EVERYTHING. We tell celebrities they are worth multimillion dollars per movie/song/show by following their every move in tabloids, blogs, and TV. How sick is this country that we idolize those who do very little while treating those who do so much (teachers, nurses, social workers, military, police, firemen, etc) like crap?

Unfortunately, our actions tell people who/what to value. We worship sports stars, to they make millions. If we didn't put them on that pedestal, they wouldn't make millions per game, have $200 shoes, endorse EVERYTHING. We tell celebrities they are worth multimillion dollars per movie/song/show by following their every move in tabloids, blogs, and TV. How sick is this country that we idolize those who do very little while treating those who do so much (teachers, nurses, social workers, military, police, firemen, etc) like crap?

That was exactly my point. All the things you stated are what drives our economy and that is my business and everyone's business because it affects all of us.

when i see these old, stooped over people bagging groceries i look at them and think "that's the republican's retirement plan for the rest of us".

amen, sister!

I'm also going to state, for the record, that I consider myself a conservative. That doesn't mean I'm a glenn beck-loving uneducated moron. Just for the record :thumbup:

Laura--Some of my good friends are Republicans and I respect their opinions, if they are well thought out. But when someone just reposts outright lies and slander that they have accepted at face value because it came from Fox news or the like, I take offense.

And on a side note, my stepson is a high school coach and my other stepson's wife is a junior high principal, and I agree that you deserve lots more money. You couldn't pay me enough to do your job. You spent the time to get a degree and you deserve to be compensated for it, unlike some people who just get some continuing education class and feel they should make as much as you do.

Don't you think I would move if I could? I would be making well over $40,000 a year if we lived in our home state of Texas. However my husband is in the airforce, and we are stationed here. He is also not getting a raise this year. We are barely above the poverty line. He is working over 70 hours a week and doesn't get bonuses or overtime. The military tells him to work 14 hour days, 6 days a week, and he does it.

You are making around $13.00 an hour, and your husband gets a paycheck. I would not call that barely above the "poverty" line. This is what is so sad about people in our country. They don't know what poverty is. I make $2.00 more an hour than you do, but I only work 16 hours a week. My husband gets a paycheck just like yours does. We are very comfortable financially. Poverty is a lack of food, clothing, and having to go without cable, telephones, cells, internet, a car, etc.

I've asked for donations from parents, but guess what? I don't get anything. I work in a title I school, which means most parents can't afford to pay for their kids' lunch, let alone books for the class or mittens for other students. I work long and hard, well beyond the 8a-3p most people think teachers "only" work. I've worked weekends and holidays, preparing lessons, grading, making home visits to kids to make sure they aren't getting into to trouble over the summer (especially important when they are living with drug dealers). Please tell me what other job you are expected to invest so much time, money (both in the classroom and before in education), love and passion and then paid crap? Why are CEOs, congress, jocks and celebrities given the "ok" to get multi million dollar paychecks and raises (often to themselves) but teachers and the military (and I'm sure many other professions, those are just the closest to home) are expected to "suck it up" or look elsewhere?

CEO's, Jocks and Celebrities get multi million dollar paychecks because they are not being paid by force from the American peoples hard earned money. They are in their own businesses. Congress gets grand paychecks because they choose to. They line their own pockets with our money and make it difficult to change their paychecks with the laws they enact. Those jobs that the public pays for are subject to the rule of the public. Like teachers, for instance. When the public pays your salary for you, you need to be subject to them. If they can't get a raise from their own employers because the economy is bad, then what makes you think that you should get a raise from them?

This whole debate was because here in CT, where the teachers are making betwwen $64,000. and $84,000. a year, they were pissed that they were even asked to forgo a raise this year because the budget wouldn't allow it. The nerve!!!! Come on now! They make THAT much money and they complain???!!! They have the gall to say that we don't care about the 'children'. "It's for the children." They say. What? You mean the children are going to get a lesser education because you're going to make the same pay as you got last year?:rolleyes:Right!

When I see these old, stooped over people bagging groceries I look at them and think "that's the republican's retirement plan for the rest of us".

This is just like a liberal. Expecting the government to ensure your retirement or make a plan for you. MY plan is to work hard and put a fair percentage of my funds away to SAVE for my retirement. Yes, SAVE. That dirty word. "You mean we have to prepare for our retirement ourselves?"

We have invested in multi family rental property so that when we are at retirement age we can collect rents and upkeep the apartments and get paid for renting them out. We have a savings account. We have a 401K. My husband has invested in stocks. We have an insurance plan. My husband has a pension plan. We may even get some of the Social security we are forced to pay in, but we're not counting on it. In other words, we didn't put all our eggs into one basket, and we PLANNED. We are not depending on the government to provide for us. This is the problem with liberals. They feel the need for dependency upon the government for everythiing they should be doing for themselves as grown, mature adults!

I don't. I believe that all people are to be treated equally, no matter what you do for a living. I don't care if you're a movie star, I don't watch many movies. I don't watch sports or purchase anything that promotes entertainment.

Why do you feel that teachers, nurses, social workers, military, police, firemen,etc. are treated like crap? I don't think they are. I see people respecting these professions.

Do you feel that the amount of your paycheck determines your respect? If you do, then you are wrong. The amount of your paycheck is what you get for the job you do. Period. Should we put your picture on a cup and hand them out with happy meals at McDonald's because you are a teacher? I work in a nursing home caring for the elderly, and I feel it is an honorable job, yet I don't feel as though I am treated like crap because of the amount of money I recieve. I understand that the money has to come from somewhere. For every dollar that you earn, someone else had to work hard at their job to pay you it.

and, there's just not enough money out there anymore for the government to take from us. They are draining us dry with their programs and give aways and projects. The number of government jobs are quickly growing greater than the number of private sector jobs, that are out there to pay for them. It is becoming unsustainable. Greece, here we come!

This is just like a liberal. Expecting the government to ensure your retirement or make a plan for you. MY plan is to work hard and put a fair percentage of my funds away to SAVE for my retirement. Yes, SAVE. That dirty word. "You mean we have to prepare for our retirement ourselves?"

We have invested in multi family rental property so that when we are at retirement age we can collect rents and upkeep the apartments and get paid for renting them out.Let's hope your tenants don't leave without paying rent. With the economy the way it is, depending on other people to pay you is risky. We have a savings account.Your savings account is insured by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT for $250,000 per account. We have a 401K.So do a lot of people and they tanked and lost about 50% of their value due to the reckless wall street behavior which was due to de-regulations by bush. My husband has invested in stocks.Again, same thing as 401k's. We have an insurance plan.Well, you have to die to get that one. My husband has a pension plan.A pension plan from work? I think you called it a perk when teachers got it. We may even get some of the Social security we are forced to pay in, but we're not counting on it. In other words, we didn't put all our eggs into one basket, and we PLANNED. We are not depending on the government to provide for us. This is the problem with liberals. They feel the need for dependency upon the government for everythiing they should be doing for themselves as grown, mature adults!

All of those things that you planned could go up in smoke in a minute. Your husband's pension plan could be lost if where he works goes out of business or files for bankruptcy. The insurance company (like AIG) could have sold you a policy that they don't have money to back up (they actually did this). The 401k and stocks could (and did) tank. You could find yourself with no renters due to the economy. The only think guaranteed is your savings in the bank and that's because it's guaranteed by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

So, quit being so smug. Just like a neocon. Your plans could fall apart like so many american's.

and, there's just not enough money out there anymore for the government to take from us. They are draining us dry with their programs and give aways and projects. The number of government jobs are quickly growing greater than the number of private sector jobs, that are out there to pay for them. It is becoming unsustainable. Greece, here we come!

That's because the rich have been getting a free ride for too long. It's time to tax them and then tax them some more. The millionaires and billionaires in this country don't need a tax cut or a 5th home (I think mccain has 8 but I could be wrong). They need to pay more because the middle class is paying for them. Very wrong.

But trust the conservatives to defend the rich.

What exactly is it that you do to make $15 an hour?

I don't. I believe that all people are to be treated equally, no matter what you do for a living. I don't care if you're a movie star, I don't watch many movies. I don't watch sports or purchase anything that promotes entertainment.

Why do you feel that teachers, nurses, social workers, military, police, firemen,etc. are treated like crap? I don't think they are. I see people respecting these professions.

Do you feel that the amount of your paycheck determines your respect? If you do, then you are wrong. The amount of your paycheck is what you get for the job you do. Period. Should we put your picture on a cup and hand them out with happy meals at McDonald's because you are a teacher? I work in a nursing home caring for the elderly, and I feel it is an honorable job, yet I don't feel as though I am treated like crap because of the amount of money I recieve. I understand that the money has to come from somewhere. For every dollar that you earn, someone else had to work hard at their job to pay you it.

Disregard what I asked earlier about what you do, as I just saw this.

I have seen people disrespect those in "lowly" positions. I have seen people mock the military members (not the politicians, the war, the president, etc, the military itself). I don't get respect. For whatever reason, people don't consider elementary education (including third grade, the age I teach) to be important, but to be "babysitting". No one seems to respect the police, and seem to think they're all dirty or crooked.

Do I want my picture on a cup? Hell yeah I do, but not for teaching- I just want a cup with my face on it. What I want is for the government (note I didn't say anything about either party, the president, or anything offensive) to stop voting themselves in raises, for special pet projects (on BOTH sides) to receive millions while schools can barely afford crayons (last year I had to buy my own for my class).

And don't even get me started on the "other people have to work to pay you" shit. We all work in one way or another to pay everyone else. We buy stuff, eat at restaraunts, pay mortgages/rent, etc. Every dollar that is spent is going to pay someone else.