Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I know what "food getting stuck" means

Seriously, it's that easy!? 2-3 bites of food without chewing throroughy (a bad habit for me!) and I will be sliming and PB'ing in public, at work, and the episodes can last over an hour? Really? I can't just take a sip of Water if I want to to "go" through? This sounds truely horrible. I'm afraid! And I assume under the circumstances, the "PB" also should be spit out?

Hi pmommy,

Don't be scared! But these are events of banded life about which you need to be aware. You will learn to minimize them in ways that work for you.

I'd like some other veteran bandsters to put their experiences on this thread, most seem to be mine, but here we go... :frown:

You will need to work on the big bites and not chewing habit. I had the same habit. If you are not banded, start practicing now. Once you are banded, you will learn quickly! I did.

First off, the second you feel any discomfort with a bite of food STOP!!! If I do that and wait a few minutes I can often finish my meal. If it doesn't clear right away, it will be a minor episode instead of a major one. If I ignore it because I am enjoying my food and want to eat, then I am setting myself up for trouble by piling food on top of the jammed up spot.

Taking a sip of Water will not make it go through. I wish it would. :w00t: When something solid is blocking the hole to your stomach it will take more than that to make it move. But, I have found that swallowing a few gulps of water will bring the offending item UP. It isn't really vomitting or burping. More like reverse gravity. Gulp it down, a wave of slight nausea and bam, up it comes. Yes, in a case such as this, you don't want to swallow this stuff back down. Nor could you, because ususally it is surrounded in the slime your body has created trying to help move things along. As far as a minor PB where you burp a little mouthful of stuff, that can be swallowed.

That is the fastest way I have found to end a stuck episode. The relief is immediate. I can also sometimes just work my stomach muscles to bring it back up. Early on, I'd be miserable and sliming for an hour or two waiting for it to clear itself. For me, I'd rather bring it up and be done. If I do that, I can be done with a stuck episode within minutes. Others have different ways of dealing with it.

Walking helps ALOT if it is a minor episode it seems to help shift things around and get them moving. I have worn a path in my hall carpet.

Strange as it sounds, most of my troubles with PB and slime happen at home. At work, I eat at my desk, alone. So I am able to take my time and I don't talk. When with a group, I choose foods I know are easier for me to eat, and if I feel ANYTHING odd, I stop eating to evaluate. If I can't finish, I take the food with me if at all possible. At home, I am relaxed and talking with my DH. I guess it is sort of like how most accidents happen close to home.

All of this comes from two years' experience with my band. But you know what, it has been TOTALLY worth it. I am off my blood pressure meds. In fact it is low normal now. My blood sugar is normal. My cholesterol is greatly improved, and I look awesome in my size 10 jeans! AND I have not yoyo-ed in weight in two years.

Yeah, I'll take some slime and PBs for that anyday!! :)

Best wishes your journey!!

Denise

Edited by Cocoabean
Cause I can spell "veteran" --really!

Thanks Denise!!

I don't think we need more veterans. You explained it pretty clearly. Great job!

I still need to experience it for myself but now I am more prepared.

Thanks Denise!!

I don't think we need more veterans. You explained it pretty clearly. Great job!

I still need to experience it for myself but now I am more prepared.

I can't wait to start reading your experiences, and have you passing along words of wisdom!!

My first slime happened at the county fair. Yeah, that was fun! NOT! (I am not admitting what I ate!)

Denise

Congrats!!

I can't wait to get banded so I can get stuck, slime and PB. I've read so much about them I need to experience them so I know what it was all about.

ROFL...lately you've been providing me with quite a few laughs.

WELL, we wont be doing that again anytime soon....Ouch...........ps...The wierd thing is, I could feel it as soon as it passed, so at least I know what to expect now.....

Wanna bet? :)

Seriously...I think sometimes we have this spot in our brain that blocks out these memories of pain for awhile (probably the only reason women have more than one child) because we repeat these things until we 'learn'.

I've only had restriction for a week and a half, but think I've finally learned to take small bites, chew well and put my fork down between bites and take my time.

I've also recently learned that I can't pick up a food and just take a bite off it (like a chili dog or chicken wing) because it's too hard to monitor the size of that bite...resulting in a stuck episode. It's less painful if I just eat the chili dog with a knife and fork and pull the meat off the wings and eat them with a fork.

I had my second fill on June 14 th. I am on Clear liquids and find that if I take more than a baby sip, it hurts like hell.

I am three days in and decided to have some watermelon. The pain in my chest is horrible and the slime is really gross. I am having trouble drinking a whole glass of Water during the day.

Any advice, I think maybe my band is too tight.

I had my second fill on June 14 th. I am on Clear Liquids and find that if I take more than a baby sip, it hurts like hell.

I am three days in and decided to have some watermelon. The pain in my chest is horrible and the slime is really gross. I am having trouble drinking a whole glass of Water during the day.

Any advice, I think maybe my band is too tight.

It sounds to me like you are definitely too tight. Drinking Water should not be a chore. It's been 4 days, any trauma from a fill should have cleared by now.

Call your doc and get his opinion.

Thank you, I am going back on Monday for a tiny unfill! This is really uncomfortable. And my stomach feels really swollen and gasy

omg... tonight was my first episode. I thought I was gonna die! lol Thankfully, it only lasted for about 15 minutes or so. I have never prayed to throw up before. I was so grateful that it wasn't like 'normal' vomiting. The lack of stomach acid seemed to make it less violent and much more tolerable. Y'all described it perfectly - this thread should be required reading for all new bandsters!