Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I know what "food getting stuck" means

This morning I had my first "food stuck" episode. I felt instant very impressive :tt1: chest/back pain and I was at the point of throwing up when it suddenly passed. My own fault for not chewing good enough. WELL, we wont be doing that again anytime soon....Ouch...........ps...The wierd thing is, I could feel it as soon as it passed, so at least I know what to expect now.....

Congrats!!

I can't wait to get banded so I can get stuck, slime and PB. I've read so much about them I need to experience them so I know what it was all about.

Congrats!!

I can't wait to get banded so I can get stuck, slime and PB. I've read so much about them I need to experience them so I know what it was all about.

That's too funny!

I felt the same way. Yet, when I had my first episode, I was like, WTH?? What is this? This is the strangest thing ever!! OMG! I have never seen anything like this. Where IS all this goo coming from! I need more paper towels! Yikes! Oh man, make this stop!

Oh crap! This is SLIME!!! Ok, then, never want to see THAT again.

Yeah, well, I have seen it again, and again, and again..

And as the DH says, I can be taught, but I'll never learn!

:tt1:

Denise

Can someone please tell me what SLIME is?

Newbie!

Unfortunately, I am not speaking from experience. Slime is that saliva that we used to blow bubbles in when when were kids. The spit we used to let drip out of our mouths a few feet and then suck it back up.

I guess that builds up when you are stuck or eat the wrong thing.

Unfortunately, I am not speaking from experience. Slime is that saliva that we used to blow bubbles in when when were kids. The spit we used to let drip out of our mouths a few feet and then suck it back up.

I guess that builds up when you are stuck or eat the wrong thing.

Yes, that, but WAY thicker. I swear it could be used in nuclear science or on the space station. I am sure there are some wonderful applications for it somewhere!

Your body manufactures it when food is stuck in the hopes to help facilitate the removal of the offending object. Since that object is blocking the route to your stomach, the mucous has no place to go but up. You cannot swallow it, so out the mouth it comes. Great, big boodles of the stuff. This continues on until you manage to get unstuck.

It is quite the experience to behold.

As a note, use a cloth towel. Paper towels are not abosorbent enough, and they are too rough on the skin. They work in a pinch, but cloth is much, much better!

I tend to just hang out over the kitchen sink and let it pour down the drain. Quite lovely, let me tell you! Along with the faces I make while stuck....yeah, it's beauty in its purest form!!

Denise

It's nice to see you all have a sense of humor about it! It is no fun for sure, but it will make you realize really quick that whatever you did was a big no-no!

Good luck to all!

It's nice to see you all have a sense of humor about it! It is no fun for sure, but it will make you realize really quick that whatever you did was a big no-no!

Good luck to all!

My DH, who really hates blood and spit, once observed the slime running into the sink with all the bubbles running down and said, "oooh, look, it looks like a string of pearls!"

You have to laugh about it. Or you'd go nuts. Ok, you aren't laughing at the time...

I'd imagine we could all write a very funny book of our experiences!

Band Groupie's PB Blog had me in tears last week it is sooo funny!

Denise

Okay - now I know what sliming is - what is PB?

Seriously, it's that easy!? 2-3 bites of food without chewing throroughy (a bad habit for me!) and I will be sliming and PB'ing in public, at work, and the episodes can last over an hour? Really? I can't just take a sip of Water if I want to to "go" through? This sounds truely horrible. I'm afraid! And I assume under the circumstances, the "PB" also should be spit out?

I had to search PB....it's "productive burping". AKA a small amount of vomit.

Ah, my future looks soo bright!

Oh, that is another joy of banded life. It stands for Productive Burp.

For many, it is the most often outcome of a stuck episode. "What goes down, must come up."

For my way of thinking, it is just that, when I burp and it produces something more than just air. It can be liquid or solid--that is a productive burp.

If I get stuck and need to bring it up more forcibly, I don't consider that a PB, I consider that a forcible bringing up of stuck stuff. I suppose PB would be an easier label :tt1:

To get unstuck, many walk to help move the food. Walking definitely helps the pain.

Some drink pineapple juice to break down the stuck food (this did not help me). Others use papaya enzymes, I have not tried this one.

I often drink some gulps of Water, sometimes mixed with some baking soda. Do be near a sink or toilet if you try this, as it often brings the offender immedately back up. For me, it is not vomitting, nor is it burping, it just comes up. It is hard to describe.

Ah, gotta love banded life, yes I do!!!

No blood pressure meds, normal blood sugar! All is right with the world!!

Denise

Edited by Cocoabean
Because spelling is not my strong point today!

Don't worry you will know. I have had one stuck episode and I never want another one. I have never had a PB and I think I will just pass on that one.

Someone could write a great book on this.

Lol thank you so much for this thread because for the longest I've wondering what PB meant and now I know. Well today was the first time that I experienced the foam and I can't believe the pain I had in my chest, I guess I just forgot to chew more carefully. I thought to myself what is happening to me and where is this all coming from.....I had tears in my eyes make up was running down my face. Trust me it wasn't a pretty site so needless to say I don't ever want to experience that again. :tt1:

Lol thank you so much for this thread because for the longest I've wondering what PB meant and now I know. Well today was the first time that I experienced the foam and I can't believe the pain I had in my chest, I guess I just forgot to chew more carefully. I thought to myself what is happening to me and where is this all coming from.....I had tears in my eyes make up was running down my face. Trust me it wasn't a pretty site so needless to say I don't ever want to experience that again. :)

It is astounding isn't it? I had read about it before it happened, but it did not prepare me for the reality. And when it did happen, I did not identify it for what it was until well into the event!

The knot in the chest is quite painful, that is for sure! After a bad one for me, that area can stay tender for a while.

Chewing well will definitely help minimize these events, as will paying attention when you eat. I have problems when I am in a group and having a conversation. I get distracted and want to say something. Well, my mother always said it is rude to talk with your mouth full, so I swallow quickly to say my thought...and DOH!!!

But I do warn you, a PB will occur from time to time. At least the burp that brings stuff up kind. Whether you eat in the proper manner or not. I'll just be going along chew, chew, chewing and feel a burp and daaaannngg... here's a mouthful of gunk.

Those are really very minor though and no one would notice. They are very similar to the kind that happen to non-banded folk.

The BIG PB events, those may happen and are no fun, but chew chew chew, and this will help to minimize them. Also if in a group or public place, you have enough warning to get to a restroom.

Denise