Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help, have some questions!

For those of you who have gone through the process. My husband and I are going to do this journey together. We have already spoken with our family physician and she documented our BMI and has given up lab slips. We are going through our insurance for coverage.

I have found 3 doctors so far who take our insurance and do the procedure and the problem I am finding is they want us to quit smoking 3 months prior to filling out the application. Which I don't mind at all, anything to do this the successful way but I am wondering, if I wait the 3 months, take all the necessary tests and loose the 10% weight I am required to loose BEFORE my consultation would that set me back?

As in, if I go to my consultation appt in 3 months after having quit smoking, will they require me to loose another 10%? (That would be about 40 lbs if they do- with the first 10%):thumbup:

Also do they expand your stomach (during the surgery) with gas?

These are questions I'd probably get to ask in a consultation, but they won't even talk to us until we quit smoking.

How often do you go in for fills? How do you determine how often you go in?

Thank you in advance!:thumbup:

Yes they do expand your stomach with gas during surgery. I don't really know about your other issues. Good luck!

For those of you who have gone through the process. My husband and I are going to do this journey together. We have already spoken with our family physician and she documented our BMI and has given up lab slips. We are going through our insurance for coverage.

I have found 3 doctors so far who take our insurance and do the procedure and the problem I am finding is they want us to quit smoking 3 months prior to filling out the application. Which I don't mind at all, anything to do this the successful way but I am wondering, if I wait the 3 months, take all the necessary tests and loose the 10% weight I am required to loose BEFORE my consultation would that set me back?

As in, if I go to my consultation appt in 3 months after having quit smoking, will they require me to loose another 10%? (That would be about 40 lbs if they do- with the first 10%):thumbup:

These are questions I'd probably get to ask in a consultation, but they won't even talk to us until we quit smoking.

Thank you in advance!:thumbup:

Idk about the smoking, n yes the do fill ur stomache with gas

They fill your abdomen with gas to expand it so they can find their way around in there. It isn't actually the stomach. That does create some discomfort after the surgery but they give you meds for it. This is the first I have heard about a quit smoking requirement. It is interesting. I have never smoked so I did not have to do it, but they do worry about blod clots after the surgery so that is probably the reason they require it.

I had my first fill after 6 weeks and so far have not needed another one. I am thinking maybe in another month I will need one, but that will be a full three months after the last one. I still have restriction and am only estimating this one. A fill is decided by how hungry you are and how much you can eat. Be advised that hunger is not wiped out by the band. Hunger is normal and is ok. Being hungry all the time is not ok. You are likely to experience quite a bit of hunger after the inintial swelling goes down and until you reach the proper amount of restriction for you. This could take a few months and it takes some people a year to reach it. It depends on your Doctor and his approach to the fills. These are good questions to ask when you go for your consult. It is good to know ahead what his philosophy is on fills. I went to Mexico and got a small 4cc band so that is why I have only needed one fill. The bands inserted here in the states are typically larger and require more fills to get to restriction. This will pay off down the road as these state side bands are supposed to last longer.

As in, if I go to my consultation appt in 3 months after having quit smoking, will they require me to loose another 10%? (That would be about 40 lbs if they do- with the first 10%):eek:

Thank you in advance!:tt1:

Hi Ellie,

I am not sure on the 10% question, but my argument and advice would be this: document your progress with your PCP and also the smoking thing. When you see the surgeon, be sure he knows where and when you started and that you have lost during the 3 months prior while working with your PCP and have quit smoking. I don't feel that they should require you to lose an additional 10%. I would appeal that request. If we could be that successful without the surgery, would we need it?

What are your insurance requirements vs. your surgeon's requirements? Once you get in to see the surgeon a lot of these things will be answered.

I had to fight to get a consult, including an appeal because I did not have a 6 months medically supervised diet. I won the appeal with weight watchers records and journals and did not have to wait 6 months. Once I got the consult, I just had to get the required testing and all was good.

Also, do these surgeons offer any seminars? I went to a couple of them prior to choosing my surgeon. All of them included a question and answer period. These might give you a chance to ask a few questions prior to being able to have a consult. The more informed you are, the better armed you are!

You could also call the surgeons' offices and ask a few questions.

As to the gas question. They fill your abdomen. They do this to puff things up so they can move about in there and get the band under the liver and around the stomach. Sort of like pitching a tent.

Fills, I am nearly 2 years post-op. My surgeon would not do a fill before 6 weeks out. I have now had 4--i think. And one slight unfill. I decide when I need one based on how much I can eat and how hungry I generally am. In the last year, I have had one fill and am now starting to toss around another.

For me it is an internal debate. Hunger level vs. how much I can eat and how often I have trouble eating. Also, I gauge based on my DH's reaction when I mention it. If he strongly disagrees, I rethink the decision. If I get a nod of approval, then I figure perhaps I am eating more than I previously was. He has become a fair judge of my appetite, rather than the food police as he previously was!

Best wishes in your journey!!

Denise

Darn it, JoJo, you beat me to the abdomen thing! :tt1:

I did want to add about the smoking thing. My surgeon requires patients to quit pre-op. (I cannot remember for how long patient's had to be done before surgery, it did not apply to me) and does a blood test to be sure it is clear of the system.

If the patient fails the blood test, the surgery is cancelled.

Denise

Edited by Cocoabean
Because I -hate- boo boos that make no sense!

Darn it, JoJo, you beat me to the abdomen thing! :tt1:

I did want to add about the smoking thing. My surgeon requires patients to quit pre-op. (I cannot remember for how long patient's had to be done before surgery, it did not apply to me) and does a blood test to be sure it is clear of the system.

If the patient fails the blood test, the surgery is cancelled.

Denise

So do you know why? Is it the blood clot issue?

no, i doubt they would require you to lose another 10% of your weight if you have already done it. that would be excessive. they probably are making sure that you diet so your liver is not too large during the operation [this would require it to be an open surgery, as opposed to a laparoscopic]

as for quitting smoking, they do that because during the surgery and, shortly after, you are intubated and a machine is breathing for you. if you are still smoking when you have your surgery, breathing afterwords will be very very difficult, and very painful. your lungs need to be in the best possible condition.

& yes they expand your stomach with gas during the surgery, so that it is easier for the surgeon to see what he is doing.

for fills, at least with my surgeon its about 6-8 weeks after the surgery, and then you go in every month to 6 weeks after that, after the first 2 years you go in every 3 months. gradually, as you have the band you go in less and less for fills because you have found your sweet spot by then.

I was told to quit smoking pre-op, but was not given a timeline. They said "quit immediately and for at least six weeks post-op." Smoking slows your body's ability to heal.

I had surgery yesterday (Thursday) at 2:00pm and had my last cigarette on Wednesday at 4:30pm...and I'm sitting here with a LapBand in my belly, drinking a Protein shake with my antibiotic :tt1:.

I wouldn't recommend NOT quitting - I'm quit now and don't want to start again. I'm looking forward to healing quickly, without cigarettes. Just giving you another take on it...

I was told to quit smoking pre-op, but was not given a timeline. They said "quit immediately and for at least six weeks post-op." Smoking slows your body's ability to heal.

I had surgery yesterday (Thursday) at 2:00pm and had my last cigarette on Wednesday at 4:30pm...and I'm sitting here with a LAP-BAND® in my belly, drinking a Protein shake with my antibiotic :tt1:.

I wouldn't recommend NOT quitting - I'm quit now and don't want to start again. I'm looking forward to healing quickly, without cigarettes. Just giving you another take on it...

I wondered if different docs had different requirements. You just answered that for me. Congratulations by the way, and best of luck to you.....

Sorry I'm a non smoker so this reply is non related to the Original post... It's a reply to one of the replies...

Cocobean, Your mention of your DH's habit of being the food Police gave me a chuckle and brought back memories... My Ex used to be my food police. He would comment on the amount of food on my plate and say really nasty things if I even thought of having seconds... However, that didn't stop me from gaining the extra 80 pounds during our 21 years of marriage... He just never understood my battles and hunger since he has avery high metabolism and has always been very thin... He would eat very little during the day and after work (at midnight) I would fix him his big meal and that still didn't make him fat....

However, I think he helped sabatoged my weight anyhow because he felt that as long as I was fat no one would look at me... He would suggest drives to the all night taco place or hamburger stand and convince me to have one with him even if I tried to decline... He was very mixed up... He would police my food but then convince me to eat after midnight when all I was going to do was go home and go to sleep so I could get up with the kids at 6am. In 96-97 I went on Phen Fen and lost 80 pounds and he loved how I looked but we had such a terrible fights every day that I gained it back.. He would interrogate my every move and made me dress shabby so that no one would look at me and steal me away from him... If I was at the grocery store for more than an hour he would accuse me of cheating on him... I told him if I was gonna cheat I would be several hours late coming home not 15 minutes... I also told him if he was so worried about someone stealing me away then he should treat me better so I would not be tempted by someone who might come along and treat me good. He was a complete "dic"tator! However, since our divorce 3 years ago, we get along fine and he calls me and we talk about our three grown children and their lives and I see him twice a month when he brings me alimony checks... Once he lost legal marital control over me, our whole relationship changed and he treats me like a normal human being now...

Karma is a funny thing though. His GF is not so nice and easy to manipulate as I was and she'll eat twice as much as I did and he gets so mad and gives her dirty looks yet he has learned theres no point to say anything to her because she'll just yell at him to shut the F up... He's quite the different man now.. Almost like reversed roles and she is bigger than I ever was. Bwahahahahahaha... Now he gets treated like I did all those years... Ohhh and in the last few years, he's gotten quite the grampa beer belly going on and he hates it and complains about trying to get rid of it and it won't go away... Karma....

Sorry I'm a non smoker so this reply is non related to the Original post... It's a reply to one of the replies...

Cocobean, Your mention of your DH's habit of being the food Police gave me a chuckle and brought back memories... My Ex used to be my food police. He would comment on the amount of food on my plate and say really nasty things if I even thought of having seconds... However, that didn't stop me from gaining the extra 80 pounds during our 21 years of marriage... He just never understood my battles and hunger since he has avery high metabolism and has always been very thin... He would eat very little during the day and after work (at midnight) I would fix him his big meal and that still didn't make him fat....

However, I think he helped sabatoged my weight anyhow because he felt that as long as I was fat no one would look at me... He would suggest drives to the all night taco place or hamburger stand and convince me to have one with him even if I tried to decline... He was very mixed up... He would police my food but then convince me to eat after midnight when all I was going to do was go home and go to sleep so I could get up with the kids at 6am. In 96-97 I went on Phen Fen and lost 80 pounds and he loved how I looked but we had such a terrible fights every day that I gained it back.. He would interrogate my every move and made me dress shabby so that no one would look at me and steal me away from him... If I was at the grocery store for more than an hour he would accuse me of cheating on him... I told him if I was gonna cheat I would be several hours late coming home not 15 minutes... I also told him if he was so worried about someone stealing me away then he should treat me better so I would not be tempted by someone who might come along and treat me good. He was a complete "dic"tator! However, since our divorce 3 years ago, we get along fine and he calls me and we talk about our three grown children and their lives and I see him twice a month when he brings me alimony checks... Once he lost legal marital control over me, our whole relationship changed and he treats me like a normal human being now...

Karma is a funny thing though. His GF is not so nice and easy to manipulate as I was and she'll eat twice as much as I did and he gets so mad and gives her dirty looks yet he has learned theres no point to say anything to her because she'll just yell at him to shut the F up... He's quite the different man now.. Almost like reversed roles and she is bigger than I ever was. Bwahahahahahaha... Now he gets treated like I did all those years... Ohhh and in the last few years, he's gotten quite the grampa beer belly going on and he hates it and complains about trying to get rid of it and it won't go away... Karma....

I loved this story!! Sounds like you are much better off without him. I have an ex much like him, but his thing was money. Always blamed me for us not having any, and now he is still broke as ever. I'm not!! LOL....

I did have a friend years ago, though, who would always make comments about my weight. She was thin, and smoked so I was often enraged about her attitude about weight. She would say things like she could not understand why people could not just push themselves away from the table a little earlier. Then go on and on about her own methods of watching her weight. Our friendship disolved after a failed business partnership and I did not see her for over 15 years. Then I ran into her at a seminar, and lo and behold!!!! She was fat!!! Karma!!!

JoJo...I am not exactly sure about the smoking, I believe it has to do with post-op healing.

Jens--First off, how you feeling, doing OK after your fill?

My hubby has had to work hard on the food police thing. Bless him.

He also has never understood my battle, like your ex. If he is hungry, it was OK if I ate. If he is not, I should not be. Just like that! Pat answer, that is the way it should be, DANG IT! WHAT is your problem, woman! Sheesh.

Funny story, as I was losing, when I got close to going below his weight, it really bothered him for some reason (I think it was to teach me about control). So he started cutting down on his food intake. The turkey started losing weight he didn't need to lose. Lost 7 lbs in two weeks! Dang. Made me so mad, I could spit!

Anyway, I showed him and kept with it and got below him!

Oh and for sad Karma..the fellow in my past that used to tell me to push away from the table and put down the fork. A smoker. Died of lung cancer in his mid-50s. Truly a shame.

Denise

JoJo...I am not exactly sure about the smoking, I believe it has to do with post-op healing.

Jens--First off, how you feeling, doing OK after your fill?

My hubby has had to work hard on the food police thing. Bless him.

He also has never understood my battle, like your ex. If he is hungry, it was OK if I ate. If he is not, I should not be. Just like that! Pat answer, that is the way it should be, DANG IT! WHAT is your problem, woman! Sheesh.

Funny story, as I was losing, when I got close to going below his weight, it really bothered him for some reason (I think it was to teach me about control). So he started cutting down on his food intake. The turkey started losing weight he didn't need to lose. Lost 7 lbs in two weeks! Dang. Made me so mad, I could spit!

Anyway, I showed him and kept with it and got below him!

Oh and for sad Karma..the fellow in my past that used to tell me to push away from the table and put down the fork. A smoker. Died of lung cancer in his mid-50s. Truly a shame.

Denise

Love those Karma stories!!!

Thank you for your input!!! I called to ask questions to the two surgeons. I have a consultation TODAY to speak with one of the two we are interested in. They told me as well, don't loose weight yet. Because it has to be documented by them and they have no requirement to loose weight before the surgery as well.

Ahhhh the loads of info lol thanks again!!!