Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 weeks post op ~ feeling discouraged

I do limit myself to 1/2 cup of food at a time, twice a day. I have Protein shake for Breakfast and MAYBE a snack at night (sugar free pudding or a yogurt or a protien shake) and that's it. I'm taking 600 calories MAX a day and exercising 1/2 hour every night

Studies have proven that if you restrict your calories too much, your body will lower your metabolism in response and burn Protein from your lean muscle because it thinks it is starving.

Women who eat less than 1200 calories a day will lose more slowly than women who eat 1200 calories a day...and the lower you drop your calories, the slower your weight loss will be.

When I was 18, I went on an 800 calorie a day diet. I walked for an hour every day and at the end of the month, I'd only lost 3 pounds. This was before their studies so of course everyone thought I was lying about sticking to the diet.

My most successful weight loss attempts were when I stuck to 1200-1400 calories a day. I'd drop anywhere from 2-4 pounds per week. Of course that was when I was younger and weight comes off faster.

two weeks after my lap band surgery my weight loss totally stalled until I got a fill eight weeks later. That was 4 days ago and I've lost 2 pounds.

two weeks after my LAP-BAND® surgery my weight loss totally stalled until I got a fill eight weeks later. That was 4 days ago and I've lost 2 pounds.

That's discouraging. lol But it makes sense! I'll be 2 weeks out on Wednesday, but the doctor has cleared me for the treadmill starting tomorrow. Luckily, I get my first fill on the 27th!! I'm sure we will all hit a point where our weight loss slows down, I just dread when it happens because you can't help but get discouraged.

I'm trying to increase my calories but I just don't know what to eat to do that and don't want to overeat. My husband doesn't seem to have any problem and is losing like crazy!! I suppose I'll have to try to sneak in another snack or maybe have an oatmeal for breakfast and have my Protein Shake mid morning. I'm just not hungry and don't want to eat if I'm not. KWIM?

I can so relate. I'm four weeks out. I have no restriction but I do limit myself to 1/2 cup of food at a time, twice a day. I have Protein Shake for breakfast and MAYBE a snack at night (sugar free pudding or a yogurt or a protien shake) and that's it. I'm taking 600 calories MAX a day and exercising 1/2 hour every night with either Wii fit or Wii Biggest Loser. Nothing too strenuous but enough to get moving and burn some calories. I also work full time during the day and try and get up from my desk as many times throughout the day as I can to keep moving. Since my surgery day I have lost 13 pounds but but lost 9 of that the first two weeks. The past two weeks I have lost only 4 pounds. I do notice my clothes fitting looser and my face is thinner. I am addicted to the scale. I weigh myself several times a day and I work at a medical office so we have scales there and I use them. I am going to have to stop doing this because it is becoming a problem. I get my first fill on the 13th and I'm hoping for some restriction and some more positive results after that. I am discouraged so I can relate to how you're feeling.

The 600 calorie thing is a mistake. You will put your body into famine control in a couple weeks time. You should be eating three times a day and taking 1000 to 1200 cals a day. If you do this and drink your Water, you will lose at least 1 lb a week. Best of luck with your weight loss.

Keep in mind I've gotten 2 fills already. I'm up to 4ccs. I'm scheduled for another fill Jan 24th.

I'm finding myself weighing everyday. It's cruel to do that to myself, but it is addictive. I think I may have my husband lock the scale up! LOL:laugh:

I was thinking about purchasing a scale, but after reading these posts, I am going to put that off. I have always found out my weight whenever I visit the doctor. I will probably keep it that way. I have noticed my clothes getting looser, but I also notice I am getting hungrier!

Keep up the good work! You have lost 20+ pounds. If you are working out, you are gaining muscle, which does weigh more. I would get a measuring tape and keep track of your progress that way! :blush:

That's discouraging. lol But it makes sense! I'll be 2 weeks out on Wednesday, but the doctor has cleared me for the treadmill starting tomorrow. Luckily, I get my first fill on the 27th!! I'm sure we will all hit a point where our weight loss slows down, I just dread when it happens because you can't help but get discouraged.

You lucky! My doctor is making me weight until the 17th of February to get my first fill. I am keeping my calories to 1100 to 1200 a day, but it is a struggle. Keeping a food diary is helping though. I miss bread. LOL

Hi there - I'm a slow loser so don't know if my experience will be helpful..but I didn't even get on the scale after surgery unless I was at the dr's office. I think I must have (and be) passive about the weight loss. I wanted to let the band do it's work. I was banded Feb. 16 09 - and didn't start really losing until around April and May. A few here and there but only around 15 up until April and yes it was very frustrating. The fills started to 'kick' in a bit in the summer...and when I was able to get 50 lbs off by Sept..I started at the gym. I am glad to report I am at a loss of 85 lbs. Yes I wish it were more! Who doesn't? But I'm glad it's gone. I will also tell u that when I don't eat enough my body goes into starvation mode and I gain. It's INSANE but Friday and Saturday I just didn't eat much and yesterday I weighed 188 lbs...tmi but also hadn't pooed in 4 days. I upped my eating a bit yesterday and today as well as some help from senna caps and today I'm back to 179. Good luck and hang in there!

Hi there - I'm a slow loser so don't know if my experience will be helpful..but I didn't even get on the scale after surgery unless I was at the dr's office. I think I must have (and be) passive about the weight loss. I wanted to let the band do it's work. I was banded Feb. 16 09 - and didn't start really losing until around April and May. A few here and there but only around 15 up until April and yes it was very frustrating. The fills started to 'kick' in a bit in the summer...and when I was able to get 50 lbs off by Sept..I started at the gym. I am glad to report I am at a loss of 85 lbs. Yes I wish it were more! Who doesn't? But I'm glad it's gone. I will also tell u that when I don't eat enough my body goes into starvation mode and I gain. It's INSANE but Friday and Saturday I just didn't eat much and yesterday I weighed 188 lbs...tmi but also hadn't pooed in 4 days. I upped my eating a bit yesterday and today as well as some help from senna caps and today I'm back to 179. Good luck and hang in there!

I am interested in knowing about Senna Caps. I have issues with this too and don't want to use chemicals.......

I have been at 35 down since 10/23. I Just had my 3rd fill and I feel as though I have decent restriction finally but It has been a real struggle. I am hopeful I will start losing again,

Greg

You lucky! My doctor is making me weight until the 17th of February to get my first fill. I am keeping my calories to 1100 to 1200 a day, but it is a struggle. Keeping a food diary is helping though. I miss bread. LOL

I am trying to take in 1000-1200 calories but I just can't eat that much at a meal. I don't know if I'm so scared of getting stuck now or what. I know I don't have restriction because my doctor does not put any Fluid in the band at surgery. We went and ate Japanese food tonight. I got salmon, and didn't eat the rice or noodles, but I did eat some zucchini because it mushed really well. I know I didn't eat half a cup, but here I am hungry again. So I ate some SF pudding. I'm at a stall at 232, so I'm starting slight cardio tomorrow.

Btreiger... My dr. told me that we should graze more and not eat only 3 meals. He told me 3 small meals with Snacks in between. You're quite the "expert" and you haven't even had the surgery yet.

Anyway...I feel the OP's frustration because I got banded a week before you and according to the dr's scale, gained after my first fill. Oddly, 3 scales in my house say something different. I'm stuck at around 15lbs and have been here for at least a month....I never could get past 15lbs when I dieted and excercised before.

I also have to believe/know that the band is meant to restrict your food intake and make you feel full faster so you eat less. Why have the surgery if the band did little to nothing, Btreiger? Yes, healthy food choices and excercise are a part of this too.