Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i think i'm starting to hate my band.

seriously.

for about 6-7 mos now, i've had nothing but problems... i get sinus infections and upper resp infections often due to my allergies. once i get sick, my band get tight and i have to get Fluid out. then once i'm better, i get it back in.

it seems like i'm there every 6-8 weeks doing this. i am getting sick of it.

like now for instance. i went in the week before xmas due to being very sick and had fluid taken out. went in this past monday to have it put back in since i felt 100% better. did fine after the fill and did fine yesterday (tues). got up this morning and tried to drink a protien drink and have been sick all day long. i cannot keep anything down - including liquids.

called the doctor and will have to go into the office tomorrow around 4. so that means nothing to eat/drink until tomorrow evening.

this is getting frustrating and i just dont know what to do anymore. i want to keep my band because when it's all good, it works perfectly! i just dont know what to do.

when i voice my concerns to my surgeon, he just says that i must be sensitive.

anyone know what could be going on or what i could do? maybe i should just have everything taken out and start completely over with my fills?? ugh!

It really sounds like you should not hate the band, but you should hate the allergies and sinus issues. Is there anything you can do to get those under control ?

seriously.

for about 6-7 mos now, i've had nothing but problems... i get sinus infections and upper resp infections often due to my allergies. once i get sick, my band get tight and i have to get Fluid out. then once i'm better, i get it back in.

like now for instance. i went in the week before xmas due to being very sick and had Fluid taken out. went in this past monday to have it put back in since i felt 100% better. did fine after the fill and did fine yesterday (tues). got up this morning and tried to drink a protien drink and have been sick all day long. i cannot keep anything down - including liquids.

called the doctor and will have to go into the office tomorrow around 4. so that means nothing to eat/drink until tomorrow evening.

this is getting frustrating and i just dont know what to do anymore. i want to keep my band because when it's all good, it works perfectly! i just dont know what to do.

anyone know what could be going on or what i could do? maybe i should just have everything taken out and start completely over with my fills?? ugh!

I am sorry to hear you are having these issues. I have heard of people who have this problem when they have the sinus issues. It seems the mucus "plugs" your band or something like that. Also if you are that sensitive when you get fills and sick (I am also like that), then when you go back and get your fill put back in, don't get the full amount back. You stomach probably swells easily and you should ask them to take it a little slower so you can adjust more easily. I get too tight when I am stressed, tight in the mornings and was overly tight after my hysterectomy for about a month. That is why after 18 months I have only had two fills and a total in 2ccs in my bad.

How frustrating!

Have you tried taking one of the OTC meds containing guaifenesin. Mucinex (plain, not D--D contains dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant; if you're not coughing, it's just an extraneous drug) and Robitussin (again, plain) are two choices.

Guaifenesin loosens mucus secretions. Along with plenty of Fluid, something simple like taking this twice a day may help you out, band-wise.

I had a huge problem this summer. I had Poison oak...the steroids and other medication I was given to get rid of that reacted weird to my body...My band was either super loose or super tight. from one day to the next. I kept hopping my body would regulate itself. But it didnt. I finaly went back to my Dr to get an adjustment. and He took some Fluid out and told me to give my body time to adjust. Then we will add a bit back.

So...your not the only one who is sensitive. lol But I still love my band. I lose slow...and that is ok with me...because I am still losing.

seriously.

like now for instance. i went in the week before xmas due to being very sick and had Fluid taken out. went in this past monday to have it put back in since i felt 100% better. did fine after the fill and did fine yesterday (tues). got up this morning and tried to drink a protien drink and have been sick all day long. i cannot keep anything down - including liquids.

what is your weight loss been like? If you have been been closer to the 8 lbs a month average I would just take some fluid out. Do you not have restriction? It sounds like you do... and you will never get it so that it is perfect every day - because all of us here have mentioned that one day we are tight the next we are loose so I look for the average calorie intakes. There are many things that affect the band, sinuses, stress, PMS etc.

it seems like i'm there every 6-8 weeks doing this
Quick question: how far out are you from banding? I ask, because on second reading, the statement I've quoted stands out a little. I'm freshly banded, and I expect to see my doctor every 6-8 weeks for the first year--I've been told to expect that, for fine-tuning, and that visits will then taper to 1-2x/year.

I know it's very frustrating, especially if you've got other issues gumming things up. But maybe if you just accept this as part of the game plan, it will be less so.

Hi folks, I'm almost 4 years out with my band and I can tell you from experience....you most definitely can be sensitive to fills and unfills etc. I've finally gotten my provider to listen to me and NOT be so aggressive with my fills. I've had revision surgery due to issues and this bigger VG 10cc band has been in a little over a year and I've yet to get the restriction right. Fills, unfills to total unfills with the last episode being a fill 12/16 of 3.5...ok for two days kinda sorta..my usual only being able to drink Water until the swelling goes down..but then trouble hit. (perhaps stress from the holidays or pms Water retention?) I tried to have very watered down cream of wheat and got that nice golfball feeling in my chest...this was at lunch time. By dinner that golf ball really hurt and no supper for me and threw up before bed. The trouble began...short story I lost 8 pounds from 12/16 10am to 12/24 10am and another 9 pounds from 12/24 to morning of 12/27. Ended up in the ER dehydrated and complete unfill UGH! A weeks rest...and having to demand more attention from my bariatric center because I was tired of the fill, unfill solutions especially since I've already gone through revision surgery and knowing how I felt before that. I was getting there again and afraid I slipped the band again. Anyway.....FINALLY...got my provider to realize I can't have aggressive fills. My body will allow me to drink the water in the office after the fill but, a day or two later it swells and lets me know otherwise so another fill for me this time 2.5. I'm paying VERY close attention to when I feel satisfied (not full!) when eating, slowing down when I eat (1 baby size bite every two minutes) and not drinking at all 15 min before or 30 min after a meal. I'm really really trying to keep the band eating rules so we know for sure what fill levels and how much I'm eating so I'm working with my provider and we're FINALLY on the same page with my fills and working together to find that sweet spot.

Sorry for the long post but, YOU know your own body, just take the time to listen to it and then get your provider to listen too. Make a chart together of your fills and unfills....you'll find an average of where you felt comfy and was losing :(

Good luck!

Being sensitive myself I am also big on charts. I am not the best about logiong what I eat BUT I do log a 1-10 scale on HOW I am eatting 1 meaning I am stuck on Water...10 meaning I can eat a huge meal.

My Dr is impressed with me being able to keep track that way. then he can see how many bad days I have...what time of the month it is falling on...I also log PB's so we can chart when I am stuck and when I PB. Charts are great way to keep track of more then just food.