Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im wondering if anyone has found a digital food scale helpful in post banding? I have a regular one, but was wondering if it was something you find you def use and would be more beneficial to get a new digital one?

Im wondering if anyone has found a digital food scale helpful in post banding? I have a regular one, but was wondering if it was something you find you def use and would be more beneficial to get a new digital one?

I don't use a scale...too much like dieting. Instead I use the visual guideline of 1 cup, recommended by my doc. Occasionally, I'll get out the measuring cups to make sure my visual interpretation is still on target, but usually I just eye it.

I do use a scale often at home. It reinforces my idea of what a proper portion should be. It also helps me know if I'm able to eat more than I should - so I use it as a gauge more than anything.

I use a digital WW scale. I weigh and measure ALL of my food (except when I go out to eat). I don't find it like dieting because I never did weigh my food when I was dieting. I just cut down on everything.

Even 18 months out and in the maintenence mode, I still use my scale once in awhile. It is so good to get into the routine of using one and KNOWING what your portion sizes are. You will get to the point that you can "eye" portions and know. But in the beginning, it really helps. I purchased a Salter brand and love it. It was $59 at Herbergers but pretty sure you could find one for less online at Amazon, etc. Model #1440.

I bought a digital scale years ago when I was on WW. Its very useful to have, whether you are dieting or not. Even just for cooking, you can put a bowl on there, zero it out, and add liquid ingredients without a measuring cup (8 oz = 1 cup). So, if a recipe calls for one cup of this and half a cup of that, you can just pour straight into the bowl and zero out in between.

Its also good for learning what a serving size is so you can figure out how much Protein you are getting. For example, the first few times you eat cottage cheese, measure to see how much you normally eat and then you can calculate how much Protein is in the serving YOU eat (since what you eat may be different than the serving size on the back of the container). Same w/meat... you can figure out how much protein you are getting in the amount of chicken, fish, etc. that YOU are eating.

I am definitely averse to weighing and measuring everything since I have done WW so much. And, my dietition says she would not want us weighing and measuring everything w/the band because the whole purpose of the band is Portion Control. Its the one thing that the band DOES do very well once it is adjusted right. But, a digital scale is a very useful tool in any kitchen I think. (you can even use it for weighing small packages to calculate postage yourself)

Even just for cooking, you can put a bowl on there, zero it out, and add liquid ingredients without a measuring cup (8 oz = 1 cup). So, if a recipe calls for one cup of this and half a cup of that, you can just pour straight into the bowl and zero out in between.

Just remember that not all liquids are the same and 8 oz does not always equal 1 cup. For example, 8 oz of oil does not equal one cup...it's more. A cup of molasses is actually less than 8 oz. Has to do with the specific gravity. It can make a huge difference in a recipe.

Only with Water can you be certain that 8 oz = 1 cup. :smile2:

When using scales to measure liquid, you have to be careful, as a liquid ounce by volume is different than the weight of an ounce. Let's think about it.

A US gallon of Water weighs 8.3454 pounds. It contains 128 Fluid ounces. If you divide the 8.3454 pounds by the 128 Fluid ounces, that equals 0.065198. Which means each liquid ounce weighs 0.065198 ounces.

So when measuring for a recipe, you must make sure if it's calling for a fluid ounce (which you should measure in a liquid measuring cup) versus an actual weight where you'd use a scale.

Hope this helps!