Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I know this seems weird but I have a question about PB's. How does it work?? I mean are you given a warning....like do you know you are going to and have time to get to the bathroom or does it just come up?? Is it like throwing up with heaving or just like a hick up that food comes up with??? The reason I am asking is I am terrified of having it happen at work and not getting to the bathroom. Also, how much comes up? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks!!!

Ok I know this seems weird but I have a question about PB's. How does it work?? I mean are you given a warning....like do you know you are going to and have time to get to the bathroom or does it just come up?? Is it like throwing up with heaving or just like a hick up that food comes up with??? The reason I am asking is I am terrified of having it happen at work and not getting to the bathroom. Also, how much comes up? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks!!!

hey NewMe!

Okay...this is how it usually goes down...for me anyways.

When I eat something and it gets stuck, I immediately know bc it feels uncomfortable. This feeling doesn't always hurt, it just feels like I have a chunk of food setting above my band trying to push through. (The most unlady like comparison I can think of is when you are trying to poop and it kinda hurts bc it doesnt want to come out) lol...

anyways, this is my warning to stop eating and wait. Sometimes it passes. PB avoided. If it doesn't, usually the slobber starts to back up. My nose starts to run. And usually within 5 minutes or so, I have to go PB. Sometimes, all that comes up is a slobbery stretchy foam. This is rarely enough to get the food unstuck. More slobber comes up until finally that stuck bit comes up too!

If whatever is stuck is REALLY stuck, or if I got stuck and kept eating, then sometimes it can take 3-5 rounds of throwing up to get to the unstuck bit.

For me, it is NEVER like throwing up when you are sick or making yourself puke. I don't lose everything...and the stuff that has already passed through the band doesnt come up. I have never had to put my finger down my throat or anything...by the time I make it to the bathroom all I have to do is open my mouth. You usually have a little warning.

Some people hardly ever PB. With good restriction, if I eat to fast or eat the wrong food, I might PB once a week.

Hope all this helps! If not, feel free to ask me more :smile2:

Amy

Amy described it perfectly!! That's just what it's like. I don't PB very often (maybe once a month, if that), but when I do, I know far enough in advance to calmly excuse myself and get to the restroom.

I was scared about this too -- but I've only gotten stuck twice in restaurants and it was fine both times. Normally, when I go out (espec. with people who don't know about the surgery, I order foods that are low-risk for getting me stuck (e.g., fish instead of beef or chicken -- which is fine b/c I love fish) and I chew relatively carefully. So, the chances of getting stuck are pretty slim.

Hope that helps!

Catherine

Excuse my ignorance but I am a newbie. I get the jist of what PB is but what does "PB" actually stand for?

Oh Ok....That's much nicer sounding than I thought it would be. Thanks so much!

I have moments where I do just what PB sounds like, I burp productively, and unexpectedly. Not a huge amount. But sometimes a mouthful.

It isn't always associated with sliming or being totally stuck on something. I just think an air bubble is coming and surprise! There is some food along with it. Or liquid or whatever just went down.

My surgeon says he gets a kick out of his band patients' list of types of burps. Productive, juicy, slimy, bubbly, gurgling...and so on, so on, so forth...

Denise

Thank you all so much for your help!!! I feel a little better now. I am not telling a lot of people about my surgery so I don't want to be PBing unexpectedly at work. I am also one of those people that will go to the ends of the earth to avoid throwing up so PB's not being like actual throwing up makes me feel better about my choice to go with the band. After I made my choice I was second guessing because of the PB issue.

Thank you!!:smile2:

I have plenty of time, I actually do burp a number of times, then I will chew a couple Papaya Enzymes. If it doesn't go on down, I will make it come up. I do this by swallowing a couple big drinks of Water. Then it comes up and all is well.