Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Pep Talk or even a chewing out

I need my LapBand peeps. I was banded May 2007. I have lost around 80 lbs and was trucking along good. In November I got a slight fill, I so want to hit my goal by the 3 year mark. Two days after receiving the fill I got real sick with the flu, it was later determined that I had H1N1 and I later developed pneumonia and spent 3 days in the hospital. I had to have an emergency unfill due to being severly dehydrated, and the Doc wanted me to stay unfilled for at least 6 weeks. OMG, so I have been unfilled during the Christmas holiday food fest. I tried to reign in my desire to eat hamburgers and Pasta, but heck a little bit will not hurt right. Oh what that little voice in our heads tells us. I also felt very sick and tired during this time and soothed myself with food to try to make myself feel better. On top to everything else I did not have the energy to exercise. (love the excuses)

Long story short - I went back to the Doc yesterday and got a fill. I am up 14 lbs and disgusted with myself. The upside to all of this is that I have really learned that I need my band, and I have really bad food addictions.

So I am trying to be back on track. I have moved from the town where I got my surgery and there is no support group here, SO I am turning to you guys. I need you....... HELP!!!

THANKS SO MUCH

Laura

first of all, good for you for going back and getting that fill after the unfill. Glad you are feeling better too... in regards to the support groups, are you sure there are no other supports groups in your area? Contact your local bariatric surgeons and ask them if they hold support group meetings and if they do, are you welcome even if you aren't a patient and explain your situation... I know my surgeon welcomes everyone, his patient or not...second, if there truly isn't any support groups in your area that you can attend in person, the Bariatric Eating website does host an online support group... check out their website... www.bariatriceating.com

good luck!!

I need my LAP-BAND® peeps. I was banded May 2007. I have lost around 80 lbs and was trucking along good. In November I got a slight fill, I so want to hit my goal by the 3 year mark. Two days after receiving the fill I got real sick with the flu, it was later determined that I had H1N1 and I later developed pneumonia and spent 3 days in the hospital. I had to have an emergency unfill due to being severly dehydrated, and the Doc wanted me to stay unfilled for at least 6 weeks. OMG, so I have been unfilled during the Christmas holiday food fest. I tried to reign in my desire to eat hamburgers and Pasta, but heck a little bit will not hurt right. Oh what that little voice in our heads tells us. I also felt very sick and tired during this time and soothed myself with food to try to make myself feel better. On top to everything else I did not have the energy to exercise. (love the excuses)

Long story short - I went back to the Doc yesterday and got a fill. I am up 14 lbs and disgusted with myself. The upside to all of this is that I have really learned that I need my band, and I have really bad food addictions.

So I am trying to be back on track. I have moved from the town where I got my surgery and there is no support group here, SO I am turning to you guys. I need you....... HELP!!!

THANKS SO MUCH

Laura

No chewing out offered! What happened to you could have happened to any of us. To have it happen at the time of year where usually-normal behaving people feel suddenly compelled to put out plate after plate of ridiculous amounts of rich/sweet/tempting food is just sad.

The good news is that some of those 14 pounds is Water. Some (heck, probably MOST) of that food had more salt in it than you usually cook with. So the first thing to do is increase your Water intake to AT LEAST 64 oz. a day (or more if you can). You'll wear a track between your chair and the potty but you'll probably lose about 2 pounds the first day by just releasing the retained water.

The rest, well you know what you have to do. I know you're still getting your strength back from being so sick, so I'm not going to tell you go run 5 miles every day. But get what exercise you can. I know that it's absolutely FRIGID here so getting outside is probably not likely for you for at least the short term. Go to the mall; lock your purse in the trunk before you get there. Just take in your car keys. That way, walking in the mall won't turn into shopping, LOL. Some malls even open up the common area to walkers before the stores open! Check with the management company for the mall nearest to you. And let your band help you tackle those pounds you've picked up.

The average person gains around 10 pounds over the holidays and you really are within the "average" range so while you're upset at that gain, it's not a terrible thing. It's just something you have to work on. This is a time of year with little in the way of events so not so many food temptations for a while.

Personally, I picked up about 5 pounds (and have lost 2 since Sunday morning weigh-in) and I'm at my sweet spot. We're all in this together. You probably saw the posts from others who gained a bit over the holidays.

Georgia Tech (my school) is playing in the Orange Bowl tonight. I deliberately didn't buy tickets because I knew that a trip right after the holidays would be weight loss suicide. I'll miss the excitement of the live experience but I'll be watching and enjoying my carrots and celery and a little lite chipotle ranch salad dressing to dip them in.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!

This is called being human. Your allowed you know. Just dust yourself off and go back to what you were doing prior to this set back.

Your initial loss is awesome and I'm sure you'll be at goal sooner than you think :smile2:

untfluter - thanks for the website - I had not been to that one. I loved the recipes that they had.

cathy - you may be right about some of it being just Water. Got on the scales this morning and have already dropped 6 lbs since monday. Now to get the rest off.

nkara - thanks for your kind words.

Good luck all,

Laura

you are welcome Laura... yeah.. it's a good site.. I live in S. Florida, that is where they are based.. they have a store and everything.. I know one of the girls, Teresa White... I'm sure you saw her on the site... At one of my surgeon's support group meetings, which by the way, he separates the band pts from the bypass/sleeve patients, but for one meeting, he had the head chef from the hospital he does his surgeries at come in and he fixed a few of the recipes from the site and Teresa was also there w/samples of some of their products... I have not done one of their online support groups but I understand that they are very good...good luck and I hope you can find a support group close to you!!

untfluter - thanks for the website - I had not been to that one. I loved the recipes that they had.

cathy - you may be right about some of it being just Water. Got on the scales this morning and have already dropped 6 lbs since monday. Now to get the rest off.

nkara - thanks for your kind words.

Good luck all,

Laura

Everyone here is being really polite and supportive.

So just in case you need some different motivation:

HEY FATTIE, SHUT YOUR GOB AND MOVE YOUR ASS! :(

<special thanks to Jachut's sig, all copyrights reserved>

Everyone here is being really polite and supportive.

So just in case you need some different motivation:

HEY FATTIE, SHUT YOUR GOB AND MOVE YOUR ASS! :(

<special thanks to Jachut's sig, all copyrights reserved>

OMG YES - LOL - I need tought love!!!

Thanks

Laura,

I think we all (bandsters) need little doses of reality here and there to remember how and why we got to be obese. I think you learned a very valuable lesson of how easily you can gain back your weight should you not eat as you are suppose to. I'm sure you will get back on track and back to business as soon as you feel up to it but in the meantime, eat only the foods you should be eating and leave the burgers alone girl.