Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

spirituality and the band

Hey there all you spring chickens:) I am 28 and set to be banded on the 15 of Jan. I have struggled with my weight as long as i can remember..but Here is my issue. I consider myself to BA a spiritual person. I believe in karma, massage and herbs and breathing and have been healthy and active for most of my life. I am scared to put this band in my body. Part of me feels like this surgery is invasive and an afront to my body, but then i also know the extra weight is hurting me too. I am afraid i am copping out... But then i look at the reality of my situation and know that it is not getting any easier to lose the weight.. Just working through the mental part of this process. Western medicine vs Eastern Medicine??

Does anyone have or had similar thoughts??

Thanks

Jadeite

Hey There!

You might be struggling a little because of nerves. I know I was very nervous the weeks before my surgery and started to really question the idea of putting a foreign object inside of me. The reality is that this is no way as invasive as it could be. I knew that it wasn't permanently damaging my stomach and that heaven forbid if in ten or twenty years I need to have it removed I can.

I am nearing my one year anniversary and have been a very slow loser (not for a lack of trying) but because I realized I had a whole bunch of other stuff to deal with as well. Mentally I am in a much better position now than I was a year ago (and I thought I was good then). My relationship with food and my body has improved. I know that eating well and working out is how I love my body. I know that I am worth the time and energy and effort that I spend on myself. I know that in taking care of myself I am better able to take care of those around me. I do yoga and meditation and feel closer to being wholly healthy than I ever have in my life. There is nothing wrong with using a tool that will enable you to find that balance. Embrace it and get excited about discovering the new you!

Meilwriter,

Thank you so much for responding to my post. I am struggling to make this surgical decision. I felt that the surgery center was just pushing me through like cattle. They were going to do all the meet and greet, psych eval and all that jazz, and then do the surgery the next day. This may still be the right thing for me to do but I need to make sure the operation and risks are worth it.

What was your experience like? Do you feel a great connection with the nurses and surgon? Did you have to go through some proper screening and evals before the band date or was it more like 1,2,3???

Also how long did it take you to be physically active and doing yoga poses after the band?? Again thankyou so much for your support!! it means alot to me..

Jade