Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling some frustration...need encouragement.

I was banded 12/30. Lost 10 lbs. on pre-op diet, but when I sneak a peek at where I am now on the scales, it isn't showing any additional loss. I'm doing everything by the book, but its frustrating when you see others who were banded at close to the same time and yet they are melting away. I know I can't expect it to all come off at once, I just want to see the journey begin I guess. Ideas?? Encouragement??

If you cant get satisfaction from the bathroom scale, look for it in other areas. Start walking or running or lifting weights and set goals to either lift more or go father. Meeting those goals will help you feel some satisfaction.

I was banded on 12/21 and I got on the scale two days later and had gained 6 pounds!! I cried!! Then I followed up with my doc 1 week post-op and I was down 7 pounds from the surgery day weight. I go up and down one to two pounds every couple days. I currently sit between 226 and 223, I'm ending my mushie stage and heading into soft food. The doc told me this is to be expected and to make sure I'm making good food choices, getting in my Protein, following the diet to a tee. And, getting my exercise. He said I may even gain weight before my first fill because I haven't been eating anything of substance for weeks! So, I make sure I avoid all slider foods (and believe me I love my ice cream :unsure:) and follow the diet plan too a tee. I eat my 4 oz, and thats it.

It will come off, I know, I've seen it happen. Best of luck to you!!!!

Hi I myself was banded on 12/28/09 and I was on my pre-op diet for 10 days and I lost 8 pounds. I weighed myself today to see how it was going and to my surprise I am at the same weight of the day of my surgery. I had notice a difference with my stomach going a little down but I guess we are still with the added weight from the IV fluids. I know how you feel but we just have too keep moving forward and know sooner or later our weight will come off too....have a great day

I am in the same boat you are in! Banded 12/16 and up 1 lb since surgery day! It all started when I went off liquids. I keep thinking--I can't live on liquids forever--i need to eat!! It is very frustrating and I too need some motivation to exercise at the moment. I joined a group on here that is commited to all its members walking at least 1 mile a day. Hopefully this helps and i see changes in me and it will motivate me to keep doing more and more! Trust me you are not alone in this!! :unsure:

Thanks for the support! It means a lot to me. I'll be going back to work tomorrow for the first time since surgery so I am hoping to see an increase in activity level and get this journey started! :unsure:

Congrats to all you recent bandsters.....be patient.

Your bodies have just undergone surgery, it takes it a while to recover. The weight will come off. I did not lose anything the first few days because I was so bloated from the surgery, but everything really moved after that.

I also gained after I went off liquids, but that too settled down...this is not a lose weight quick plan, it's a tool to help you learn to eat slower and less food. You have to make good choices about what you eat, just like a diet, but if you do that, the weight comes off.

Be patient, play by the rules and you will see results. And it helps if you weigh weekly and not every day. It's so tempting to weigh every day, but truly the weekly weigh in really does keep you from tweaking about a pound gained one day.

Good luck everyone.

Weighing yourself too often can be sabotage. Take it from this hypocrite.

Your weight will fluctuate depending on the time of day; how much you've eaten or drank; where you position your feet on a cheap scale; riding the cotton pony; etc...

If you are burning more calories than you are consuming the weight will come off but sometimes it takes times to accumulate.

My nutritionist said to try and keep it to once a month. I weigh myself almost every day but am trying to get it to a week.

I also had my banding on the 12/30. I lost 6lbs pre op. Post surgery I was 264 this morning I was 253. I am afraid that maybe I am not eating enough. I am not hardly hungry. Today was the first day that I actually have felt hungry:) I am mostly just getting my Protein Shakes and my minimum amount of liquids in. It is very hard, but I know that it will all be worth it in the end.

In the pre-op class I took, they warned us that we could gain 10-20 pounds from the IV fluids and swelling alone so not to freak out at your weight right after surgery. I'm so glad they did tell me that because I left the hospital 10 pounds heavier than I went in AND it took a full week to just lose that Water weight and swelling before I saw any real weight start to come off. Then, for a few days I dropped like crazy (10 pounds less than my pre-op weight) and then it slowed down a bunch and I've only lost one pound in the past few days now. But, this is also to be expected since my swelling is gone now and I have absolutely no restriction. So, I might not lose anymore before my first fill on 1/21. But, my doctor said not to worry about how much I lose this first month anyway. She said this month is all about healing and not to worry about actually losing until I get a fill.

I was banded on !2/14/2009. I lost 20 pounds the first week and today I weighed and have gained 2 pounds back... I am frustrated. I sort of knew that once I started eating... I would have to have some gain.. but I am so afraid that I am going to gain it all back before my first fill on 1/27. I feel hungry all of the time and sometimes wonder if the band is even in there.... I try not to get depressed, but I expected that I wouldn't be hungry. I am following the diet that the doc gave me, and it says that I may not be able to finish each meal, but I am finishing everything and I am still hungry. I am walking 2 miles a day... and still no loss... I need encouragement. I don't know anyone who has had this surgery and I am wondering if maybe I should have had the gastric by-pass instead!:blushing:

Edited by suzepersh
spelling errors

I was banded on !2/14/2009. I lost 20 pounds the first week and today I weighed and have gained 2 pounds back... I am frustrated. I sort of knew that once I started eating... I would have to have some gain.. but I am so afraid that I am going to gain it all back before my first fill on 1/27. I feel hungry all of the time and sometimes wonder if the band is even in there.... I try not to get depressed, but I expected that I wouldn't be hungry. I am following the diet that the doc gave me, and it says that I may not be able to finish each meal, but I am finishing everything and I am still hungry. I am walking 2 miles a day... and still no loss... I need encouragement. I don't know anyone who has had this surgery and I am wondering if maybe I should have had the gastric by-pass instead!:blushing:

You will not gain all the weight back if you follow the recommended eating plan. Track your calories and your activities and you will be fine. The weight battle is exactly that, a battle and you are going to lose some and gain some...but overall, you will lose weight. Everyone I know on this forum has fears of gaining the weight back, but you have a tool now that should help you control the amount you eat. You still have to make the decision to eat correctly, not eat high calorie sliders, but you can do it.

I am battling my food addiction also and it is very hard for me. I keep putting stuff in my mouth that I shouldn't. HOWEVER, I am not gaining weight overall, I just am not losing and I'm working on my issues. Do what ever it takes.

The woman I chat with have lost 100 lbs or more and have kept it off from months so far to years. They battle with their weight too and the desire to eat more than they should. Other women are still working on their weight loss and they are a year or more out. Please be patient with yourself and understand this is not a rapid weight loss program. The weight will come off, it will be slow, but it will come off.

Suze, You had this surgery for a reason. It is a journey that you are going to have to go through. No easy fix. Dealing with our demons and why we over eat is the challenge. You had this surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. You should be introducing mashed potatoes, sugar free pudding, low fat yogurt. Remember slow and steady wins the race. It's not glamorous but it gets us where we need to be. If you don't know any one who has had this procedure, try to find a local support group in your town. Sometimes churches will sponsor the groups as well. I had my surgery 6 months ago, my first fill three months ago and my second fill will be on January 7. I lost 52 pounds and then gained back seven over the October - December time frame. I have succeeded in losing those added seven before my fill. BUT...It is the journey. Get support and educate yourself. Good Luck!