Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bipolar type II

does anyone have experience with bipolar type II?

One of the psychiatrist that i saw for my psych eval talked to me for about 20 minutes, had me fill out a couple one pages questionnaires and then told me that he thought i suffered from bipolar type II and put me on Lamictal.

Originally i fought that diagnosis. On my fourth appointment i flat out told him i thought he had jumped the gun on this diagnosis and that all i really wanted from him was my approval so i could get on with the processes of getting approval from my insurance company. Which he gave me.

i've had on going issues with depression and anxiety and have taken some sort of anti depressant for the past 12 years or so. so it's not like i'm in denial about those issues. but for whatever reason i have an issue with being labeled as bipolar.

my primary care doc recently added in wellbutrin (i currently take cymbalta) as i've been having increasingly ugly pms weeks. I guess i'm not sure what i'm looking for, lol. maybe just some insight from people who've had this diagnosed. I do want to get the nasty PMS under control but i would like to do it without having to take mood stabilizers. I'm hoping the wellbutrin will help with that, but what if it doesn't? What if bipolar II is really the issue? and how would i know? how do you know if what you are experience is the result of bipolar type II or just a crazy, busy, stressful life (combined with a creative perfectionist that like to be in control, lol!!!)?

I went through this when I was first diagnosed. Really It should take more than 20 minutes to diagnose Bipolar. Can you see another psychiatrist and get another opinion? I spent atleast and hour and a half with a nurse and Doc.

I was devastated when they diagnosed me BP I. At the same time I was relieved that help was on the way. I thought everything would be better with just the lamictal. Since then my diagnosis has changed and I am on 4 meds. I hope you don't have this but if you do your life is not over. I am now going back to school to be a nurse and taking care of myself and my family. I can drive again and haven't felt depressed in probably 6 months. If you wanna do some research on it you can go to NAMI.org. Plus, I am always here if you need support.

thanks. i do have an appointment with a new therapist this coming week. My primary care doc sees her and recommended her. We'll see how it goes i guess.

my argument was always that i'm high functioning but i guess that is common in bipolar type II. i typically try to blame stress for my "symptoms". I work 40-50 hours a week where i have to make decisions constantly, I run my own photography business where i can work anywhere from 5-20 hours a week, i have two great kids (11 & 9) who are involved in school things and music lessons, a husband (who probably takes more work than the kids, lol), a house to run, bills to pay, i'm an elder at my church. oh and i have friends and like to have a bit of a social life. how is it possible that i can be bipolar yet manage all of that? I would say that 90% of the time all the craziness is contained within my head. but then maybe i'm kidding myself about that. maybe my moods are more obvious than i realize.

I know i'm a control freak and maybe that's why i don't like the label. it feels like being bipolar means that i don't have control over things. my pms seems to have become pmdd. and this last month was the first time that i felt like my thoughts were actually coming out of no where. It was almost like i was asking myself "where did that idea come from?" though i still felt like i had control over what action i took in relation to the thoughts, what happens when i don't have control?

Bi-polar is more catchy than "manic deppressive"

Diagnosed bi-polar about 10 years ago and was taking Wellbutrin and Lamactil up until 2 years ago when I moved and stopped taking all medication.

Needless to say it wasn't a bright idea as far as my health goes. I am back on all health related meds and Wellbutrin but haven't seen a shrink so I never restarted the Lamactil.

So far so good as far as being edgy of moody.

The Lamactil is not an antidepressant. It is a mood stabilizer supposedly to keep you somewhere between manic and depressed.

It worked wonders for me in traffic but I think I just grew out of going mad in traffic and learned to accept it.

I can't help you with the PMS. Never been there, never will. :smile2:

You can't have control over everything that is going to happen to you. With Bipolar sometimes you can't even control your reactions to it. You can regain control with meds and therapy. The therapy will help you to learn when your in an episode and how to handle it. It will teach you about Bipolar and how to accept it and oneday move on from the shock of being diagnosed. When I was diagnosed I felt like I was in a whirlwind. I have manic episodes where I am ocd and this really knocked me off my feet. I had lost control. I had a great therapist though who challenged me and I feel like I have my footing again. I have found a middle ground where I have some control but also I can handle things outside of my control. I don't rant and rave anymore or lie around depressed. My mood swings have evened out. If you do have Bipolar, it will take time and work but you can get back to your normal life. Maybe even a better one.

I've been Bi Polar II for years now. I was relieved with the diagnosis because before that I was just clinically depressed and none of the meds I was on were helping. With the diagnosis came proper care and meds. What a difference!

Rachnet, if this new doc concurs on the bi-polar diagnosis, the question arises: Are you afraid of the label? The symptoms are what they are no matter what you call it. If putting a label on it gets you the treatment you need, then can you accept the label?

My granddaughter, who is 21, lives with me, has a nearly 2 year old daughter (some of those really bad decisions that people with bi-polar disorder make caught up with her) but is in school and is a good mommy. She railed against the label, swore she couldn't be bi-polar, etc. She finally saw another doc who said she was borderline and she is finally taking her meds regularly. Nobody wants to have anything wrong with them that sounds so terrible. But the label is worth it if it helps you get control/ownership of your life again!

Good luck!

thanks. i do have an appointment with a new therapist this coming week. My primary care doc sees her and recommended her. We'll see how it goes i guess.

my argument was always that i'm high functioning but i guess that is common in bipolar type II. i typically try to blame stress for my "symptoms". I work 40-50 hours a week where i have to make decisions constantly, I run my own photography business where i can work anywhere from 5-20 hours a week, i have two great kids (11 & 9) who are involved in school things and music lessons, a husband (who probably takes more work than the kids, lol), a house to run, bills to pay, i'm an elder at my church. oh and i have friends and like to have a bit of a social life. how is it possible that i can be bipolar yet manage all of that? I would say that 90% of the time all the craziness is contained within my head. but then maybe i'm kidding myself about that. maybe my moods are more obvious than i realize.

I know i'm a control freak and maybe that's why i don't like the label. it feels like being bipolar means that i don't have control over things. my pms seems to have become pmdd. and this last month was the first time that i felt like my thoughts were actually coming out of no where. It was almost like i was asking myself "where did that idea come from?" though i still felt like i had control over what action i took in relation to the thoughts, what happens when i don't have control?

Dear Rachnet: I was reading your post and felt compelled to post back.

I am BIPOLAR Type I, the more sever form than what you've been diagnosed with. 1st what did your primary care Doctor think of this diagnosis? Surely he sees you on a more frequent basis, spanning many years???

If indeed you are Bipolar, don't get to freeky about the LABEL, it is a manageable illness. I was diagnosed in 1990 at age 34. I had had several bouts of severe depression but never any mania until the first episode in 1990. There is a strong genetic link with bipolar, look back in your familys history, is there anyone else with a diagnosis?

I have raised a family, married 35 years, had a career (2 actually) and several promotions along the way. There is no need to think that with a diagnosis people don't 'function' that couldn't be further from the truth.

I also ran a support group for bipolar folks for 10 years. You might want to try one of those too - it may help you to accept your diagnosis.. much like Diabetes or Asthma it is a chronic illness but very manageable with medication(s).

I must confess that before MEDS i started many jobs, and then later Quit them... because of depressions or I just couldn't 'play well with others' LOL... it was ALWAYS someone else's fault... not my moods...

But alas, I am much more EVEN tempered now, as my long marriage will attest. It is not easy accepting a diagnosis... there is a greiving period that I went thru. But never a disbeleif... I think I knew deep inside that there was something 'different' about me but I could never put my finger on it.

Diagnosis and medication and a good shrink have IMPROVED my life, not taken away from it. I hope this helps somewhat...

Peaches9:mellow:

Thanks, it all does help! i knew i could get some feed back here :rolleyes2:

My primary care doc wasn't buying the bipolar II diagnosis. She herself deals with depression so she is very familiar with what i'm going through. She's seen me on up days and down days, that's for sure. I'm really hoping that my appointment with the new therapist is helpful. I'm optimistic!

I must say the wellbutrin seems to be helping, though it's hard to tell if it's that or just the fact that it's not pms week (that's when it's the worst). i guess time will tell if this combination of meds is going to do the trick.

Thanks, it all does help! i knew i could get some feed back here :(

My primary care doc wasn't buying the bipolar II diagnosis. She herself deals with depression so she is very familiar with what i'm going through. She's seen me on up days and down days, that's for sure. I'm really hoping that my appointment with the new therapist is helpful. I'm optimistic!

I must say the wellbutrin seems to be helping, though it's hard to tell if it's that or just the fact that it's not pms week (that's when it's the worst). i guess time will tell if this combination of meds is going to do the trick.

1) do you ever suffer from irratability, more than most folks?

2) how is your sleeping patterns, do you spend a lot of night where you just can't seem to shut off your brain from racing thoughts?

3) How is your Sex drive? has it increased lately?

4) can you stick to a financial budget, or do you spend recklessly and put your family finances in jeapardy?

Depending how you answer the above questions it may give you some more insight into your diagnosis.;)

1) i would say i'm probably more sensitive at times hence more irritable. You know how an infant can become over stimulated from being passed around, etc. I feel that way sometimes, like i just need absolute quiet and less activity around me. keep in mind i'm an only child.

2) normal my sleep is good. This last month i had some issues with waking up very very early and not being able to go back to sleep. but that is the first time i can remember that happening.

3) my sex drive is pretty low but has been for a long long time. so really there has been no change there in the past 6 years or so.

4) i would say i'm fairly financially responsible. We have no credit cards so that helps. I do know i can't manage credit which is why i don't have it. We pay our bills, and we live with in our means. There are times when shopping is indeed a high though. I love to shop! i think i love to shop more than i like to eat, lol!!

I have to tell you i had an appointment with a new therapist last night. i was crying about 10 minutes into the appointment and she talked more than i did. But wow, I love her. We primarly dealt with my parental issues but she said things that clicked in my head. I felt so much better when i left. I really think she is going to be able to make a difference. I'm already looking forward to my next appointment. and she said what you've said too, what difference does the bipolar II lable make? i'm very optimistic that i can make things better. oh she was just marvelous!

thanks to you guys too!! it really helps to be able to talk about all of this!!

1) do you ever suffer from irratability, more than most folks?

2) how is your sleeping patterns, do you spend a lot of night where you just can't seem to shut off your brain from racing thoughts?

3) How is your Sex drive? has it increased lately?

4) can you stick to a financial budget, or do you spend recklessly and put your family finances in jeapardy?

Depending how you answer the above questions it may give you some more insight into your diagnosis.:)

so glad u found a therapist u can work with...so important!!

Best of luck to you,you'll b fine!!