Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New from Mississippi/Minnesota

Hello, everyone! I'm new here. I have my first surgeon consultation on 01.11.2009. I already have psych appointments set, too.

I'm SO ready/nervous/anxious to get started.

Is there anyone else here from Mississippi? If so, I would love to hear from you. I'm originally from there, and I go home every chance I get. I still have family there.

Is there anyone else here from Minnesota? If so, I would love to hear from you, too. I currently live in the Twin Cities area. Does anyone recommend a certain physician in the Fairview - University family? I'm planning to go with Dr. Leslie, but I haven't committed to him, yet.

I would LOVE to hear about your hospital/surgeon/clinic experiences to assist in making my decision. My insurance covers a wide range of facilities, so before I get locked into a "horror", I'd love to hear from you.

I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!!

Hi there-

I grew up in Desoto County, Mississippi and have lived here in California for almost 10 years. Was banded 12/15/09 so please feel free to ask questions

Hello, everyone! I'm new here. I have my first surgeon consultation on 01.11.2009. I already have psych appointments set, too.

Is there anyone else here from Mississippi? If so, I would love to hear from you. I'm originally from there, and I go home every chance I get. I still have family there.

Is there anyone else here from Minnesota? If so, I would love to hear from you, too. I currently live in the Twin Cities area. Does anyone recommend a certain physician in the Fairview - University family? I'm planning to go with Dr. Leslie, but I haven't committed to him, yet.

I would LOVE to hear about your hospital/surgeon/clinic experiences to assist in making my decision. My insurance covers a wide range of facilities, so before I get locked into a "horror", I'd love to hear from you.

I'm barely in Mississippi (on the coast) Diamondhead

Thanks for your responses, Tina and Dee!!

Tina, I grew up in Quitman County, so I wasn't too far from you. :-) My dad works at Arkabutla, but I'm not sure if that's DeSoto or Tate County.

Anyway, thanks again for responding.

Hey there! I am from Minnesota, but live in Hattiesburg, Mississippi now (going to school at USM)! That is funny your story is the opposite of mine:tongue2:! I am currently in month 4 of my 6 month program, haven’t ran into any problems yet (knock on wood) and am getting more & more excited to get banded. I have my initial consult with the surgeon on Thursday. I am having the surgery in Dallas, TX, because I plan on moving there when I graduate, in May. I had my psychology apointment yesterday, and it went really well. I posted a list of books she recommended to read on LBT under the "introduction" group.

Good luck

Meg,

It's a SMALL world!! My cousin goes to USM, or he may have just graduated. He's a hard one to keep up with. Get this -- I'm graduating in May, too! How coincidental?!?! I go to St. Thomas, and I'm graduating with my Masters in May. I'm looking to relocate after graduation, too.

What's your major, and what made you pick Dallas? I'd love to get to the Carolinas, but I have to find a job first. My major is Software Engineering, so hopefully I can find something. I don't know if I should start looking now, or if I should wait until closer to graduation.

I went to high school in Quitman County - Delta Academy - but I live in AZ now. Small world - I often felt like I was the ONLY person in Quitman County, surprised to actually meet another person from there!

Good luck in your journey, feel free to ask any questions you'd like. I'm 7 months in, so I have a little bit of experience, but the band reminds me every single day that I still don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks! WOW, it IS a small world!! I didn't think I'd find another Mississippian, let alone someone from The Q. I graduated from QC, which is named something else now. How long have you been in AZ? Do you go home often? I've been in MN for 11 years, but I'm hoping I can relocate when I graduate in May.

So what's your LapBand experience been like? I go for my first psych eval tomorrow afternoon, then I meet with my surgeon on Monday. I know that's probably backwards, but I already had the psych eval scheduled because I had planned to go with another clinic. Then I talked to my doctor, and she HIGHLY recommended the clinic I'm going to on Monday. Since I know I'll need a psych eval anyway, I just kept my original appointments.

How long was your process from seminar to surgery? How long was it before you could go back to work? Did you tell anyone before hand that you were getting the surgery? If so, how did that go? I think I'm keeping mine private for the most part. I know everyone is different, but are there any foods that you can't eat since the surgery?

Thanks for the good vibes, and for letting me ask you questions. I'm sure I'll have more as time passes. :thumbup:

Nice to meet you Toni! I've been in AZ for 20 years. My family only lived in Marks for a few years, so it never really felt like home to me. They moved to Biloxi after I left, so I don't go back to Marks at all. It's funny that the rest of the world doesn't realize that the south is still literally divided by train tracks.

I started the process in March of 09 and had the surgery on June 4. I nagged everyone constantly so my paperwork never got lost in the shuffle. I was off work exactly one week per doctor's instructions. I had surgery on a Tuesday (I think) and had the 1 week followup appt on a Monday and was back to work the next day.

I kept my surgery private. I did finally give in and tell my boss - just in case of emergency. Other than that, I told a few VERY close friends, but I am a very private person in general.

I haven't found any foods that I can't tolerate at all. I did notice that when I am under significant stress, my band feels a lot tighter. When that happens, it gets difficult to eat most things, but it passes as soon as the stress lets up a little.

The biggest change is that I literally cannot eat the portions I used to eat. Occasionally, I really would like to keep eating, but the band tells me no.

Feel free to keep the questions coming.

Yeah that is crazy! That is great you go to St. Thomas! That is a really good school (too expensive for me) ha. I moved to MS because I have a lot of family in NO and on the coast, and because tuition was a lot less expensive. I am getting a BS in architectural engineering, then working twoards towards another BS in construction engineering!

I am moving to Dallas because my parents moved here and LOVE it! I come every change I can. I think it is the perfect place for me, the economy is still OK, the unemployment rate is the smallest in the US so I am confident I will find a job. Also, the cost of living is similar to MS, and a lot lower compared to MN!

So, how is the LAP-BAND® progress going? I am so ready to get banded! Hopefully, it will be at the end of March (thats when i get done with my 6-month diet). My whole view on life has changed since I started this process. I feel like I have a second chance.

Hi i'm from the ms/tn area.had my lapband @st francis;dr. Weaver 12/23/8

Hi i live in desoto county.i guess i didn't realize that so many people were getting banded.yet so many insurances will not pay for the procedure.i wanted it so bad that i paid for it myself/credit cards.iwent thru the whole ordeal weigh ins consults. Nutritional classes