Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

timeline after surgery

I am going thru the process of getting the labband. I have been reading posts and see a ton of ranges of weight loss. Some have lost ALOT quickly or reached their goal quick and others seem like it's taking along time considering the band. What can of weight loss can I expect? I figured at first it will be alot b/c my eating will be so different. I am now 290 and want to weigh 150. I would like to do that in a year...am I aiming to high?

Everybody is different and there is no real answer to you question on what to expect.

Of course you can lose 140 pounds in a year but it has nothing to do with the lapband. It has to do with how much work you are willing to put forth to attain that goal.

Weight loss occurs when you burn more calories than you consume. The lapband makes you feel full faster. Hopefully, that will keep you from consuming an abundance of calories.

In order to lose 140 calories in a year you'd have to burn an average of 1346 calories a day more than you eat.

To figure out how many calories you burn every day, you can use this calculator BMR Calculator and add calories burned during exercise or you can purchase a Bodybugg or Gowear Fit device.

Wow, that is alot of calories MORE then I eat! Ok, so now I know 140 in a year is probably not an option. I guess for now I will just do my absolute best! Thanks for the info....it's much appreciated!

Keep in mind it took you a while to get to 290...it'll take a while to get it off. The lap band will help but don't set yourself up for disappointment by expecting too much. Take care and good luck!

How long did it take you to lose the 24 so far?

140 is very possible but you'd have to be ready to work out 4 or 5 times a week for an hour or more.

Did you use the calculator? It tells you how many calories you burn daily just being alive. For the measurements in your profile, that would be 2,072. Add 400 to that for walking around and exercise and it is 2,472.

Meaning it you kept your intake to 1,172 calories a day, you'd lose 3 pounds a week.

I probably lost you in the bunch of numbers but losing 140 pounds is definitely possible.

I'm a newbie. I'm 2 weeks post-op today, lost 12 pounds in the 2 week pre-op liquids and 12 pounds post op so far....Granted, that will slow down now that I'm actually "eating" (sort of). I'm not saying 140 pounds in a year isn't possible, but everyone varies (and as you've seen it can vary a lot) and I hate to see you on here a couple months post-op feeling frustrated because you haven't lost as much as you're hoping for. Again, good luck! (my doc recommends 1-2 pounds a week FYI)