Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Presurgery decision

I am struggling with whether or not to have surgery. I keep telling myself that I can do it on my own, only to gain more weight. I have been reading post on this forum for almost a year and am scared by the complications and problems I read. So I am miserable with all of the problems I have due to weight, high cholesterol, high BP, sleep Apnea, back pain, and the list goes on. I just do not know why I can not do what I need to do on my own.

I am so sick of being miserable but afraid that this wont work for me. I would be self pay and financially I want to make sure that I can continue to pay for what ever comes with this technique. I have considered going to Mexico to help with the cost, but I am so worried about am I healthy enough to undergo the procedure. If I knew that I am healthy enough, I would do it in a heart beat.

Any advice from anyone else on the fence of decision?:)

Is there any way you can set up a consultation appointment with a Dr. in your area? I know you won't be able to have the surgery with that person, but at least someone qualified will be able to evaluate you and let you know if you are a good candidate or not.

I know several people who met with 2 or 3 surgeons before deciding on one so seeing someone and not doing the surgery with them shouldn't be any big deal. It did cost them more out of pocket, but it helped them feel very secure about making a decision to go forward (or not!) :)

Good luck to you-

kagead

Well, my first thought is that you obviously have health problems that should necessitate regular doctor visits. Have you considered discussing it with your primary care physician? That's what I did first and my doctor was very helpful with a lot of information...including that he felt that I was an excellent candidate for lap band surgery as all my health problems were weight related.

That is good advice. I will make an appointment to see a couple of surgeons in this area. My PCP feels that I may be a good candidate, so perhaps she can help schedule some of the tests that are generally done here in the states. I have been reviewing posts all day. Thanks for your feedback!

Not sure where you live, but there are some good doctors who don't charge an arm and a leg right here in the US for self-pay patients. One is located in Denver, Dr. Kirshbaum (sp?). From what I understand, he's around 9k-10k. I too am self-pay, but used a surgeon in my home town, so that I wouldn't have to take time off work to travel to Denver for my fills or any other appointments with him.

What I did to finace it was take a $5k distribution from my IRA, $5k loan from my 401(k) and then financed the rest through www.surgeryloans.com using a Health One Visa. I only have to pay back the 401(k) and Visa loans.

I think that you will see such an improvement in your overall health if you decide to go ahead with the lap band that your medical costs will be cut significantly, which will help pay for your surgery.

Just because past diets have failed does not mean that the band will fail. You've got to go into this with a positive attitude, and know that each and every one of us here are behind you and will give you all the support we can.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!