Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Advice wanted!

Hi ya'll - I need your words of wisdom please...

I was banded on October 1st and from then until November 17th, I lost a whopping 25 lbs! I got my first fill on that date (Nov 17th) and since then have lost NOTHING! Not even a half pound! I haven't gained either, which is great, but NO weight loss?! Seriously?!

It's been 5 wks with no loss.

Is this normal?! I'm feeling a little frustrated and have been so careful about what I eat - hardly any carbs (only oatmeal in the morning) and the rest is Protein and veggies.

Any ideas? Is this the way it's going to be? I'm kind of panicking...

I blog my journey too, if you want to follow along: Following my Dreams, One by One Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom. Good luck to you all! :biggrin:

Journal exactly what you are eating and check it over carefully. You may be getting too many calories or not enough w/o realizing it. Are you drinking your Water (64oz daily) Are you doing any exercises at all and how much. Just don't give up...you can do this...it just might take more work than you thought.

Hi Adrie!

I think this is a normal part of the journey. I too lost quickly at first. About 15# then it just stopped!! I didn't start losing again until last week when I got my 2nd fill. Finally I feel a little 'something'. I don't think I'm there yet but getting close! I too was thinking that I would be one of the few the band didn't work on. Not to mention, there were quite a few homemade treats floating through the office that I sampled!:biggrin: (Thank God the treats are gone...until next year!)

I talked to my doc about all of this & he assured me that I am doing great. He said that most people gain a little until they are properly filled. He said to be patient because we are still in the process of 'turning on' my tool! As much as we have researched & learned about lap band I think we still think (hope) that the weight will just fall off instantly. I was hoping I wold be the girl who never needed a fill!

Just hang in there! Your not alone! I think it's time to schedule your second fill!!:smile:

When is your next fill? It sometimes take several fills to get to the sweetspot. Don't be too hard on yourself. Follow what your Dr. has told you and it will pay off. Water, excersie and journal are very helpful. Try not to be obsessed with the scale. Inches also count. Call your Dr. and be proactive, I have heard of some Dr.'s wanting to wait several months between fills.

You are going to be ok.....Keep us updated.:biggrin:

Calories in/Calories out. It takes a specific amount of calories to maintain a specific amount of weight at a specific amount of energy expended.

You're now 25 lbs lighter so in order to start losing again, you need to either decrease your calories and/or increase your energy expended from what it was previously.

If you've been maintaining for 5 weeks then you are eating and expending exactly what your body needs to maintain that weight.

This is all assuming that you don't have a metabolic disorder (e.g. thyroid) or other medical conditions that would prevent weight loss.

It's very common for weight loss to slow down or stop completely in the first few months. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will start up again.