Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holiday Weight Gain

Banded on July 7, 2009. Lost 52 pounds but holidays hit and I've gained back 7 and am scared to death. I've had one tiny fill and I have to keep reminding myself that there is a reason I had the surgery. If I could have done it myself...am too embarrassed to call surgeon but I don't want to slip slide back into old habits either. Some uplifting words would totally rock right now!

Don't feel bad I gained 3 lbs and I too was dissapointed in my behavior. I ate somethings I had no business eating but let my emotions rule over what I ate.

But today is a new day and I am going to return to the right type of thinking and follow the rules just like I did for the last 5 months. Forgive yourself and take it one day at a time until it seems normal again. Good luck to you. You can get back on track just remember probably a lot of us are doing it along with you. You are not alone!!!!

Cheri

Some of that could be Water retention, especially if you've eaten a lot of meals that you didn't prepare. Even if the calories were pretty much in line, other people (like restaurants) use more salt than you would at home. It happened to me...when I gained 6 pounds but lost it in three days after going back to strictly home prepared meals, it reminded me that I often add no salt when I cook but that's not true of others.

Don't beat yourself up over it! Figure out why you did it and take action to make sure you learned from it and don't repeat the same mistakes.

The holidays have been tough for me as well. I'm actually afraid to get on the scale after eating everything I wanted over Christmas weekend. Today I will get right back to business and work it off and make corrective efforts not to repeat the same actions.

Don't be embarrassed to call your surgeon up if you need to. You have paid alot of money and put in a ton of effort to make sure this thing works. If you need to talk to him do it. If your still nervous about talking to him just call and talk to his staff and get their opinion. Remember they work for you. Don't beat yourself up. Focus on what you have accomplished. Also, Don't expect to do this perfectly. We are all gonna slip up but that doesn't mean we are outta the fight. Get back in there champ!

I don't care how tight you are sweets slip right on thru...

It's done - it's over - get back to eating healthy and add a couple of extra days of phsyical activity the lbs will come off again...

Don't beat yourself up over it! Figure out why you did it and take action to make sure you learned from it and don't repeat the same mistakes.

The holidays have been tough for me as well. I'm actually afraid to get on the scale after eating everything I wanted over Christmas weekend. Today I will get right back to business and work it off and make corrective efforts not to repeat the same actions.

Hi, I'm glad I'm not the only one. My problem is that I only had surgery on Dec 2nd, I lost 20 ponds prior to surgery on Boost, and 8 ponds since. I gained back 5 since the holidays. I'm so upset, I'm scared that my old habits are creeping back up on me. I threw out all of the holiday "garbage" food that was in the house, and am hoping that tomorrow is a new day and the will power will return.

The holidays are a GREAT training session to remind us to keep on our daily discipline, and to continue to recognize that "eat" IS a healthy response to "hunger"....and that "satiety" is the healthy response to 'eating'....

Most of us in the Tribe of the Morbidly Obese somehow missed out on the notion that we SHOULD eat to vanquish the hunger.....and then STOP when the hunger is gone.

I was raised with the notion "eat til FULL" or "eat until it's GONE"....

we all know how well those bad habits work....

and sparring with the remains of an old bad habit in the face of training in our new GOOD eating habits becomes easier each season.

As we recover from our old Obese Lifestyle, we don't have to fear the same way when 'diet of the week' was the catch-phrase. Bandsters live a lifestyle that simply learns to adopt new healthy eating behavior.

When we finally learn to RECOGNIZE 'satiety' and know the difference between 'hungry' and 'NOT hungry' we are well on the Path.

Fears are one thing; behavior is another. The more practice we have in healthy eating behavior based on 'satiety' awareness instead of 'hunger aversion phobia' we have made another step away from fear controlling our lives.

Cheers to all of us.

I was so happy to read your post, you make total sense.

Thanks everyone for your support