Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medications and Birth Control

I am preparing for Lap Band toward the end of January. I have met with my primary care doctor to inform her of the procedure and to discuss my meds. My doctor was so excited for me and proud of the decision I was making.

We talked about medication options. I am taking 1000mg. of metformin twice daily, norvasc 10 mg. for blood pressure, and a huge prenatal Vitamin (can't remember it's name right now). My doctor told me to talk to the pharmacist about options and have them call and request the change. The pharmacist suggests Riomet, a liquid form of metformin, and a chewable prenatal vitamin. She thought my norvasc was small enough to swallow as is.

Does anyone use Riomet? How does it compare to Metformin? Was it easier/harder to take? Was it as effective/less effective?

Also, I have a doctors visit with my ob/gyn mid month to have my annual exam. I need to discuss birth control options with her. I haven't been on birth control pills since I was 25 and am now 39. As my husband and I always wanted kids, we never used any birth control. PCOS and my weight has always stood in the way. It seems really strange to be discussing BC now. It seems counter productive. However, I know I need to take this year to get myself healthy by loosing weight before we try to move on. The surgeon said at the seminar that they like for you to focus on weight lose for the first year and to be on some type of birth control. At 39 can I even take the pill? For some reason I though they didn't like to use oral contraceptives after 35.

I was taking metformin for PCOS, during preop liquid diet, I had to stop because I was dropping my blood sugar. I had also started taking birth control about 3 months prior to surgery and the surgeon told me to stop because of an increased risk of blood clots after surgery. He said that I could restart in a couple of months. I was difficult for me to start the birth control with the side effects, then just to stop them. What I would suggest is "safe sex" until after surgery, then start the birth control.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BetterLeah

Woohoo! I have 7 more days till surgery, So far I am already down a total of 20lbs since I started this journey. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Well done! I'm 9 days away from surgery! Keep us updated!

• Ladiva04

Hello,
      I had my surgery on the 25th of June of this year. Starting off at 117 kilos.😒
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Congrats on the surgery!

• Sandra Austin Tx

I’m 6 days post op as of today. I had the gastric bypass 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 2 replies
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife Core are by far the best. They taste just as they are - chocolate milk. You can either get the 26 grams or the 42 grams (harder to find and more expensive). For straight protein look at Bulksuppliments.com ..they have really good whey proteins and offer auto ship plus they test for purity. No taste or smell...

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife has strawberry, vanilla and of course chocolate. No more calories than other protein drinks. Stay away from Premiere, they're dealing with lawsuits due to not being honest about protein content.

• Doctor-Links

HGH For Sale
      hgh for sale at our online pharmacy

Human growth hormone (HGH) is a small protein which is made in part of the brain called the pituitary gland. It travels in your bloodstream all over your body to make your body grow.
      HGH is very important in the body. It is needed for children to grow normally. It helps make sure there is enough muscle and fat in the body. It keeps our bones healthy.
      Buy Rybelsus online, Rybelsus tablets
      You can order for wegovy at our online pharmacy
      Check for the prices of 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg at our online pharmacy and buy ozempic.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches