Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take to get approved by BCBS?

I know that there is no set amount of time and that every state is different but I'm just kind of curious about how long everyone ended up waiting for their approvals.

I've completed the three month pre-op diet and all my info was submitted to insurance on 12/21. It's only been a week and I know that they say it could be 4-6 weeks before I hear from anyone but, like I said, I'm just curious.

I'm excited to get this show on the road and stay positive!

Thanks for any feedback!

It depends on your group/policy. I was approved in one day.

I am in California, and have BCBS. I believe my info was submitted in late November/early December and I heard mid-January. I -think- I remember someone in my surgeon's office saying they have 30 days to approve or deny.

But that could have been my appeal to even see the surgeon.

Best wishes!!

Denise

I am in California, and have BCBS. I believe my info was submitted in late November/early December and I heard mid-January. I -think- I remember someone in my surgeon's office saying they have 30 days to approve or deny.

But that could have been my appeal to even see the surgeon.

Best wishes!!

Denise

Every BCBS plan is independent so it depends on which plan you have. I would suggest that you get a tentative date from your surgeon and call the insurance company yourself. I have BCBS GA and was approved in less than a week. Even though I did not have a definite date, I asked for a tentative date to get things moving. Furthermore, I called the insurance company every other day just to let them know that I was waiting.

I have BCBS NC and it took less than a day. After all the preop test were done and they had the results the dr's office told me one afternoon it was being sent in and by the next morning I was approved. From what I've read this is atypical. Good luck to you!

I have Fed Blue and i was approved the same day my paperwork was submitted.

Still in the early stages of the process, but when I called BCBSIL with the CPT code to make sure (for the 1,000th time) that WLS was NOT excluded from my policy, the woman I spoke with in the approval dept. told me that if everything is submitted to their specifications, they usually get the approvals out in 5-7 business days.

kagead

I have BCBS Anthem and was approved in 4 days.

I have Personal Choice BCBS in IL and i think it took bout 3-4 days to be approved after my 2nd appeal. Would've been GREAT for BCBS or even my surgeon's insurance coordinator that I had to have 6months of supervised diets by my PCP! My surgeon's insurance coordinator was "out of the office" the day of my very first consult, and the person I spoke w/ at BCBS didn't know her butt from a hole in the ground I've decided, telling me all i needed was a letter from my doctor of medically necessary. Boy was she wrong. :) So start to finish for me, just under a year.

I have BCBS/AL and it only took a few hours.