Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not thin yet--only 1/2 way there

Even at 285lbs, I didn't think that I was really so fat--you know how anorexic women can't see themselves properly? Well, I don't think that I see myself properly either--just in the reverse. I'm down over 70lbs and I am really enjoying my thinner body, but I'm beginning to worry that I'm enjoying it too much. I feel myself sort of "slipping"--like now that I've lost so much weight, I'm done. I feel so much thinner than I really am. I have to remind myself that just to get out of the "obese" BMI range, I've still got another 50lbs to lose (and 30 more on top of that for "average" weight)! I posted my most recent photo for two reasons: 1. Because I am proud of having lost so much weight 2. Because I need to see that I really am not thin yet and that this is no time to be resting on my laurels. I'm pretty good at self-deception, so I'm posting mostly just to be honest with myself.

post-250312-13813138984187_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you are falling into the same trap I have many times. Becoming complacent after losing a bunch of weight and reverting right back to my old ways.

This is exactly the reason I am getting the lapband. I am hoping it will keep me from reverting back.

May I ask how you are slipping if you've got good restriction?

Sounds like you are falling into the same trap I have many times. Becoming complacent after losing a bunch of weight and reverting right back to my old ways.

This is exactly the reason I am getting the LAP-BAND®. I am hoping it will keep me from reverting back.

May I ask how you are slipping if you've got good restriction?

Don't get me wrong, getting the lapband was one of the best things I've done for myself. But it is still just one tool (the others being good food choices and exercise). I have good restriction--thankfully! But good restriction doesn't garantee good food choices ("oh just a little bite won't hurt" "just this once" "but i'm so tired and hungry" ) and it sure doesn't make me get on my exercise bike or go for a walk. So I guess by "slipping" I mean that I feel myself becoming complacent just as you said. And because I feel so much thinner than I really am, it's even easier for me to lie to myself about how much work there still is to do.

Thanks!

You look great and you are doing a good job. Checking in here will keep you on track.

You can gain inspiration from the success folks and remind yourself where you came from with the newer ones.

Btreeger, you can eat around ANY weight loss surgery. With the band, you can only eat a certain amount of food at one time, BUT you can certainly eat way too much of "slider" foods -- ice cream, candy and stuff like that. You can eat as much as a full meal in between meals. Oh, yeah, you can sooooo slip. You can revert to higher fat meals, more carbs. And that addes up very quickly.

Willowcat, I'm down 78 pounds with 56 to go, so about in the same place as you and I've been feeling the same thing lately. I've done so well, yada yada yada. I think the holidays have contributed to it. I've been to parties where people who haven't seen me in ages went on and on about how good I look, etc. and it's easy to fall victim to the praise. But the holidays are OVER now. I'm not going to be tempted to eat bad stuff that seemed to be everywhere for the last 6 weeks and I'm going back to what I was eating when I first went back to real food. I have old food journals and I'm just going to repeat. I haven't walked much lately either .... Here in Atlanta, we are within about 2" of the wettest year we've ever had and are likely to surpass that record with rain predicted for Wednesday and Thursday. I read that Wii Fit is actually considered a mild workout by fitness experts and that EAS Sports Active is much more of a workout so I think I may invest in a Wii and the EAS Sports Active when I get my tax refund and in the meantime, will push to get out and put in my miles.

Maybe we can support each other on this? Feel free to email me at parr0thd51@aol.com

Willowcat, I'm down 78 pounds with 56 to go, so about in the same place as you and I've been feeling the same thing lately. I've done so well, yada yada yada. I think the holidays have contributed to it. I've been to parties where people who haven't seen me in ages went on and on about how good I look, etc. and it's easy to fall victim to the praise.

Maybe we can support each other on this? Feel free to email me at parr0thd51@aol.com

Yes, you got it Kathy--we started believing our own press! Of course we look good--compared to the 70+ lbs people we were not so long ago! "Good" is really a relative term--this "good" has been great, but now it's time for an even better "good"! So...onward and downward! ;)

Well, at least the holidays are OVER! Now, we can get back to the business at hand. I was down a little more than 2 pounds this morning from Sunday...and we both know that was Water. Probably more to follow soon.

The hardest thing to do is to get back out there at 5:00 AM in the cold and start walking again.

It is so refreshing to see that I am not the only one who has fallen into this trap! I totally have stars in my eyes, being down a bunch of sizes and getting compliments left and right. You would think that would be the motivation to keep eating and exercising right, but for some reason it has had the opposite effect for me. Thank goodness the holidays are over!!

OMG -- I fall into this trap every single time I lose weight!! This is the closest I've come to a goal, and yet, I've found myself right back where I've been so many times before, "Oh, I've done so well. I can have a little of this. Oh, I look good enough. This is fine. Maybe I don't need to get to that goal, etc., etc."

I thought I was the only one who did that! It's been my downfall for years! :thumbup: