Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my Lap Band surgery on 10/24/2009. I was doing great until the holidays hit. I have cooked and fixed all the old favorites and done really good, until I realized I could not eat anything. Then the worst part. My family had had pizza and cheesesticks on christmas Eve my whole life!! I tried to eat 1/2 a piece and I thought I was going to die. I was praying to God to help me. I am a little depressed about this. I am staying on goal, but I really thought every now and then I could have a little something. Is anyone else feeling this way. I could use someone out there to talk to that feels the same way.

Hmmmm how many fills have you had? My husband was banded on 10.21 and is able to eat a smal silce of pizza with no problem. I was banded 11.25 and can also get a very small slice down just eating slowly and chewing a lot. Funnny I guess some can eat anything just in smaller amounts and some have problems?????

Everyone is different, therefore some can eat a lot and others cannot. The main thing you have to do is eat slowly & chew really well. You may also find that you can eat pizza one day and a couple of days later, you can't. This band thingy is really fickle. It doesn't stay on a constant line. I can eat chicken but can't eat cheese. Don't be discouraged. Work with your band to try different things but be aware that your body will accept some things and reject others. Don't give up. It may take you several months to really learn what your body will allow.

I know it's hard but try not to be discouraged. When I have trouble after eating certain foods it is usually because I ate to fast and didn't chew well enough.

Be patient and you may find you can eat some of your old favorites again just in much smaller portions.

Yes Grandma is right! I have problems when I eat to fast every time AND I dont even have my first fill yet.

I also find that if you make sure to get all your Water in that its not always so hard to eat. I myself have not even tried to eat pizza. I can not eat bread at all. I also can not eat Pasta. If I dont stay hydrated I feel like crap. So I make sure to drink as much as I can. And I have had many times that I felt so jealous of everything everyone else can eat and I could not get anything down. My mother cooked prime rib for christmas. Guess what couldnt touch it. Sucked big time. I am so glad to get back online to read these posts makes me feel not so alone.

i was banded on 11/17/09 and thought i was dong pretty good - although avoiding all of the heavy carb stuff -- i have been able to eat SMALL amounts of filet , chicken, and prime rib -- but on xmas eve i picked up the honey baked ham and when i brought it home i tried a mall piece and low and behold --yea the band does not like ham ---- it didnt matter how small i cut it up or how much i chewed it -- the band won that fight and i havent even had a fill yet - that is coming Monday ... so i agree with everyone - your band will tell you what it will allow you to eat and what it wont :blink:

I am staying on goal, but I really thought every now and then I could have a little something. Is anyone else feeling this way. I could use someone out there to talk to that feels the same way.

You will...in time. Stay focused on why you got the band and just be committed to keeping a good attitude. I had an additional 2 cc's put in my band 2 days before Christmas (for a total of 8). At this point in time, I pretty much can only drink liquids and I've decided to be 'okay' with that until the clinic opens next week...despite the fact that I'm missing out on the 'traditional' foods. They'll always be there next year.

You can still enjoy the most important part of the holiday (family and friends) without the food. If you can't, this is a good time to re-examine your attitudes towards food. This is what I have to do on a regular basis.

I am on a preop diet now. Christmas eve was the hardest day for me. My Dad invited us oner for our traditional pizza dinner and Cookies and hot chocolate. Yes I wanted them but I want this surgery more. That wasn't the hard part. The hard part was feeling like my Dad tried so hard to restore our tradition and I felt like I let him down. We haven't had a normal christmas in years because he has been in the mist of a divorce. He was very supportive though, said he was proud of me for turning down hot chocolate and marshmallows. We had a great time though and hopefully this will be the begining of our new family without his ex. So I am choosing to focus on the positive and be proud of myself for sticking to my diet through the holidays. We haven't choosen an easy road but it is a road we must continue to travel.

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I was just having a bad day and looking for some comfort. I lost a very close family member at Christmas and it has been hard for me. I have learned my lesson and I do not think I will ever eat pizza again. I do think I need another fill so I am going to call my Doctor tomorrow and put this behind me. Again, thanks for the info.