Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In case of an emergency...I did this last night.

Hey guys! I did this last night and thought that I would share with everyone. One of the first things the nurses told me at the surgi-center when I had my surgery was to put this card in my wallet that said I had the Lap-Band. This way, in case of an emergency the ER staff or EMS would not put a gastric tube in if I needed one. Well, I thought about it and decided that what if I didn't have my wallet with me? How would they know I had it. It isn't a guarantee that my husband would be with me to tell them. So...I went online and did a search for custom medical I.D. bracelets and found some really nice ones. Not the ones that your grandma would wear but ones that were stylish and hip. I was able to put my name, Gastric Band, date I had the surgery, doc's name and office phonenumber. And the engraving was free. So, I thought that I would pass along this information if anyone is interested. It just really put my mind at ease knowing that I ordered a Bracelet that I would wear because it was nice and stylish AND informative! smile.gif

www.americanmedical-id.com

I have had mine for several months now. It does put my mind at ease also. Mine says "Gastric Lap-Band, if tubing required must use scope, More info in wallet" on the front it has my first name. with a little red medical emblum. I was told by my brother that is EMS that they don't look in wallets unless told by patient. If you were knocked out then they would not look in wallet. so that is why I put it on by Bracelet to look in my wallet where I have all my info and dr. info.

I got mine a fiddledeeids.com They were priced really reasonably. I got a child's size that was $20 cheaper and I just make my own bands. I have about 15 I made to match different outfits.

I'll have to get one when I get back tomorrow. I think I would feel comfortable with it as well.

Terri, I like what you put on yours. I'm gonna do the same.

THANKS !

Does anyone know of a place to get the same kind of tags/bracelets as these, but only without the medical snake sign on them? I know that the little star looking thing should be just as acceptable as the snake one in the medical world.

And in case you're wondering, it's for religious reasons that I don't want the snake one. That's why it's kind of important to me.

Kelly, I understand how you feel about the snake but there's got to be some sort of symbol on the ID Bracelet that the EMT people can recognize that its an emergency bracelet and not just a fancy piece of jewerly.

Let me know if you find anything, I'll look too.

That is a great idea...except for the fact that my local hospital (and doctor) have never heard of this procedure! I had to go to the ER two weeks ago for a kidney stone (ouch, ouch, ouch) and when I told them about my band, they had never heard of it. (My doctor doesnt even know what it is) My husband even described the whole concept and process and they were still clueless! I live in somewhat of a small town, but this is ridiculous! Any suggestions for this sort of situation?

Does anyone know of a place to get the same kind of tags/bracelets as these, but only without the medical snake sign on them?
My mother takes coumadin so I bought her one for xmas. It has the star shape (called the "star of life"), but no snake/staff (called a caduceus). The Bracelet is gold and the star is engraved/etched in the gold. There are also options to get the star in red enamel. I stuck with the gold/gold for hers, it looks much better.

Hers was around $425, but you can get them cheaper with different sizes, gold hardness, and e,blem options.

I bought my actual tag off af a seller on Ebay his user name is clicktags.com and he was really great to deal with. I bought 2 tags that have the following on them:

Adjust. Gastric Band

w/ abdominal port

No Blind NG

Emergency number

allergy info

I went to the mall and bought a silver necklace and had it cut to make a Bracelet and I had enough leftover to make a matching anklet. The whole thing cost me less than $50. If I had gone with gold it would have been around $150. I was able to select my emblem and exactly what was laser printed on my tag. It is nice and has held up very well. I bought an extra for a backup in case I break this one. Also avon has a nice set for around $20 that needs to be engraved, that can be expensice though so check out engraving prices before you go that route. The avon set has a blue beaded bracelet and a charm looking bracelet that connect to the medical charm.

My paramedice friend said not to get one that is too fancy as they over look most true jewlery and only look for medical symbols. ~Mandy

I got my tag from diabeticdrugstore.com - for just the tag it was $16 with shipping. I have been making my own bracelets and also selling them on ebay. If you would like me to make some bracelets for you just email me and I will send you the link to my web site (still working out some of the bugs with the site)