Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you all deal with the information in the required reading. I was really surprised at such a high statistic. It scares me.

The lapband info. A surgical aid in the treatment of morbid obesity. Labband system information for patients. pg. 7.

"In the study 25% of the patients had their Lapband system removed, 2/3rds of which were following adverse events."

This is their official literature that I have to sign to read, and sign read.

I think a lot of the statistics are skewed. 25% of people may have had to have their band removed, but was it a slippage caused by constant puking because of overeating? Statistics mean nothing unless they come with information behind them. Just like the statistic that you'll only lose 30%-60% of excess weight - what was the diet like of these people who only lost 30% of their excess weight? Sometimes stats like these are useless.

I figure that these ones, put out by the manufacturer, are not skewed negatively. Why would they do that? This is the study they funded. It is probably skewed in their favor, rather than against. That is the reality of stats.

Yes, I do work with stats for a living. I know how they can be manipulated to say what you want to say.

I take it, then, that denial is how people get past it. That and blaming the victim. I am just more prone to think things through.

I don't know about the studies or the denial but I have lost 87 pounds in the past 8 months with my band and hope to make goal at 12 months. Guess I beat the odds!

well, the odds are with you. Good job. I hope to do as well after my banding on Monday.

I was just terribly shocked at their numbers because I know how numbers are used.

My final surgeon appt. is this afternoon. I know he will just give the standard "risks to every procedure' speech. I wish there were some real reassurance.

Edited by MissyMS

There are no guarantees in life. We all take risks but this risk is much better then the known outcome of obesity :tongue:

well, the odds are with you. Good job. I hope to do as well after my banding on Monday.

I was just terribly shocked at their numbers because I know how numbers are used.

My final surgeon appt. is this afternoon. I know he will just give the standard "risks to every procedure' speech. I wish there were some real reassurance.

I believe the patient's attitude is 90% of it. There are a number of people and some who post here that can not see the bright side if it struck them in the face. Most Doctors will say the same thing. From this and other forums I have read, I can tell that one of two things happened to those who had to have them removed. ( My literature has different statistics by the way) Either they were not informed or did not seek out the information they needed from the beginning, or they did not use the tool they paid to have inserted. Of course some have serious health issues and I am not blasting anyone. My point is that if you decide it is going to work and adopt that mind set, it will work. It is a learning experience and a very beneficial one if you decide to see it that way. Best of luck to you and I promise it will be fine!!!!

Hmmmm. Interesting that you have different stats. That makes next to no sense.

Surgeon didn't have much he could add to the info. I'm still scared. But I am sure it will be fine.

Hmmmm. Interesting that you have different stats. That makes next to no sense.

Surgeon didn't have much he could add to the info. I'm still scared. But I am sure it will be fine.

Well I had the benefit of my daughter getting banded first so I knew a lot of what to expect. It still pays to read read read everything you can get your hands on.. She is not one to follow directions. She pushes the limits often. I figured that since I am a rule follower and a direction folower, I would do better than she did. That turns out to be the case. She is starting to regain and has scheduled another fill to remedy the situation. Time will tell with me, but I don't have as much nerve as she does so I am abolutely sure I will be fine.

I didn't see that stat either. Interesting.

I'm curious to know how many of that 25% is allergic to the materials, how many of those got their bands by a so-so surgeon and how many of those people didn't follow the rules or protacol. There are so many other circumstances. And I do appreciate the companies honesty of their study. That has sparked my interest about it.

Although to late to change my mind now since I got banded yesterday. LOL I hope that my band stays in and I'm sucessful.

Oh and speaking of other circumstances, do you all know of people who weren't successful with the band and that's why they had it taken out? I personally know like 5 people, all women who've had the band but almost killed themselves because they stuffed that pouch until it almost exploded. That's shocking to me and scares the hell out of me. I don't want to be that person. :)

that is terrible. I have far too great a fear of dying to riskk the stupid thing at all!

I don't think they have a choice really about honesty. I suspect it is a legal issue, rather than moral.

I hope that all goes well for you! Are you feeling ok?

I really like that my doc sees it as a tool for weight loss. He has required a diet, but it is reasonable, and doesn't seem to be based on his reputation for success, but on a healthy, maintained weight loss. I'd rather quick and easy, but i've learned that deosn't work for me!

Edited by MissyMS