Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks for Sharing

Hi All,

I am being banded in NYC on Dec. 29th by Dr. Kurian. I just finished reading all the posts that occurred after I posted and it made me feel so good and so postive (until I got to Jimmy's unfortunate episode). I was wondering if anyone knows the numbers on surgery problems? Is it common or a fluke if the band slips or a person becomes totally blocked? Does it depend on the experience of the surgeon. I guess you have figured out that I very nervous--not about the surgery, but about being able how to figure out how to eat without PBing. Is PBing just unpleasant or can a person actually choke? I have read twice on these posts that no questions are dumb, and please forgive me if this is not so UP! Really, I am excited about the thought of REAL and lasting weight loss. I have another question: I take lots of Vitamins and three medications. How do you take pills that need to be taken with food if you don't drink while eating?

Many thanks for all of your encouragement. It is admirable that those of you have already seen your way to living successfully with the band take the time to guide the rest of us.

Sultana

Sultana : Please dont let my expeience scare you. My Dr. told me 1 month bfore surgery , the first time I met him , that I would most likely have a blockage. After an examination he pointed out to me that because of where my fat stores are I had interior fat build up around my organs. This would cause the band to not only surround my stomach but also additional fat cells that were already around the stomach itself. He did cut a little away during surgery but could not remove it all. ** Besides - I had absolutely no pain ,went home 3 hours after surgery and was honestly not hungery for 13 days and lost 18 lbs.. Every story has a happy ending and what I experienced is ver very rare.

" DONT'A WORRY BOUT IT " JimmyC

Hi Jimmy and all,

Thank you so much for your reply! I am sorry that you had to have that problem, and I am glad that you are now doing well. I am a very positive and take charge kind of person, and therefore the only thing that scares me is the unknown. I just have to keep telling myself that this too is something that I will be able to master (typical overachiever!!) Thanks again.

Sultana

You'll do fine with all of it. It is a learning experience. Two weeks after my second fill, I am still eating too big of a bite!! :D

My PB's are not gross. The food churns in my stomach for about 2 minutes then it creeps up in my throat. I either chew it some more or spit out. Depends on where I am.

RE: your pill question. I do not take a lot of viatmains but do chew the Flintstones Vitamins. I got a pill cutter and cut up anything larger than the end of a pencil eraser (I.E. Tylenol).

Good luck!

P.S. Don't worry about the port flipping, it's rare.

Hi Again,

Thanks for the info about the PBing and the pills. I am going to a support group session on the 11th of Dec. before I am banded on the 29th. I plan to attend afterwards too. I'm hoping I can get some of my questions answered there too. I live in the Phila. area, but am traveling to NYC for my surgery because my doctor (Kurian) is so top-rated and has MUCH experience. I could not find a surgeon in this area who had performed more than two lap bandings, and Phila. is a big area??? Again, thanks.

Sultana