Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on the 17th. The amount of gas I have is crazy. All I do is burp or............ I can't stand it .Is this normal? I am taking gas-x and pepcid.How long can I expect this? Is it because I have no solids in my system? Help!!!!!

I was banded on the 17th. The amount of gas I have is crazy. All I do is burp or............ I can't stand it .Is this normal? I am taking gas-x and pepcid.How long can I expect this? Is it because I have no solids in my system? Help!!!!!

The Gas is actually from the air that they pump inside of you during your surgery. This is to move everything out of the way so that the surgeon can get around better. The gas should go away in about a week from your surgery date. It's good that you are pushing it out though. For many people it stays inside. Just excuse yourself..hah you'll be ok.

Congratulations to you.

I'm not sure I agree that it's the gas from surgery. I was told by a surgeon (not my LB surgeon) that the gas they pump you up with will not pass, it has to be absorbed by the gas.

However, I will share that my first words in recovery were "I need to burp". I still burp a lot - and I'm 6 months post op. I'm not sure how all that air gets in my stoma, but it definitely does.

I also got banded on the 17th and I have felt bloated and gassy ever since. Yesterday, I actually woke up w/such bad sharp shoulder pains that I was shaking and crying. It hurt soooooo bad. I had to wake up my husband so he could get the heating pad set up for me and measure out my pain medication for me. Well, that scared me enough to realize I really need to get walking a lot more. This is what they kept telling me after surgery and I was good while in the hospital, but put it off when I got home. Yesterday, I started walking for 10 minutes every hour on the treadmill (slowly) and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY! I didn't need ANY pain med this morning and I am passing a lot more gas and feel a lot more comfortable. As for burping and farting, consider each one a blessing because this is what will help get all the gas OUT of your body so you can start feeling back to normal. When I first started farting, my husband was like 'Whhhhaaaaattt???' and I told him to just deal w/it because every time I fart, I feel a little better. LOL

Edited by adagray

Me too, Ada! My shoulder pain is killing me. I really need to get out and walk more. I've been walking around inside my house, but that's only for a couple of minutes. But now my tummy, which was numb while I had the pain medicine pump in, is now hurting like crazy. Ugh.

Me too, Ada! My shoulder pain is killing me. I really need to get out and walk more. I've been walking around inside my house, but that's only for a couple of minutes. But now my tummy, which was numb while I had the pain medicine pump in, is now hurting like crazy. Ugh.

When do you get to eat some food? My stomach was seriously hungry last night and sore. Luckily, my doc said I could start food today. After the first serving of cottage cheese, my stomach feels so much better. I think the walking has helped the most, though. Force yourself to get out and walk or if you don't/can't walk outside, try to do Wii Fit if you have that or see if you can rent a walking video (like Walk Away The Pounds') from the library. I'm lucky I have a treadmill at home. And, I'm lucky it still works even though I haven't used it in a couple years. LOL

I'm supposed to have Clear liquids 3-5 days post surgery, so if I don't count the day I had surgery, and go for 5 days, then I'll be able to eat full liquids on Wednesday. I'm going tomorrow for a follow up visit with the surgeon, and I'll ask then about moving forward.

Although he has told me in the past that I can progress through the stages as my hunger warrants, but so far, I'm really not hungry, just thirsty. Once I'm finished with my morning coffee, I'm going to switch over to some apple juice. I'm really wondering if I should have got full sugar juices, as the juices I'm drinking have very few calories, as are the broths. I know I'm not concerned about total number of calories, but I'd like to at least know that my body is getting some nourishment.

If it involves belching or farting, it is not from the gas pumped into your abdomen. What AdaGrey describes is gas pain from the gas pumped into the abdomen. It's ENTIRELY DIFFERENT. Walking (heck, moving around period) is the best thing for that kind of gss.

A couple of possibilities. Are you drinking a milk-based Protein shake? You could be a bit lactose intolerant and are taking in more dairy that you used to. You can buy a shake powder and mix with soy milk or lactaid milk.

It could be the liquid diet. My my post-op liquid diet was only 10 days so I didn't really have much adverse reaction other than runny stools (liquid in, liquid out).

Basically, move around, use Gax-X regularly and it should get better. However, I will say that I belch (no lady-like little burps for me) now, usually when I am hungry, LOL.

Hello,

I was banded on Dec 8th, I had a ton of belching for the first week. It has slowed down but I still burp alot. It may be something I have to live with but its worth it! Best of luck to you!

When do you get to eat some food? My stomach was seriously hungry last night and sore. Luckily, my doc said I could start food today. After the first serving of cottage cheese, my stomach feels so much better. I think the walking has helped the most, though. Force yourself to get out and walk or if you don't/can't walk outside, try to do Wii Fit if you have that or see if you can rent a walking video (like Walk Away The Pounds') from the library. I'm lucky I have a treadmill at home. And, I'm lucky it still works even though I haven't used it in a couple years. LOL

I also had that same shoulder pain. I took two tylenol it helped. I can eat soft foods om Christmas. I am really supposed to wait the two full weeks but my doctor gave me the go ahead and told me to go slow

I constantly feel like I need to burp but can rarely get the burp to come out. Has anyone experienced that? Talk about painful, I feel pressure building under my breastbone.

Surgery gas can last up to 6 weeks but 1-2 weeks is normal.

Your gas is from surgery, while the gas-x etc relieves some of it, although it's gross it's better to just get it out.

Passing gas of any form is my pet peeve, so I'm utterly disgusted with this stage. But it'll pass and I'm staying really active to help it move around and disapate.

I remember HORRIBLE gas pain, and feeling it churning inside me, but never did it come out either ends B). So Gas-X didn't help me. What did help me was walking. Keep moving! Pretty sure it has to get absorbed by your body. Goodluck.

Oh and sidenote for all the belchers, maybe drinking/eatting too fast? Also- my dr says no straws, they add air, & make you burp ;)

Edited by TwilightLover83