Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Puke or Not to Puke, that is the question

I would have posted this as a poll, but I couldn't figure out how to. Anyways I'm wondering what the puke percentage is. Sick question I know, but I'm just trying to figure out what to expect....

How long have you been banded and,

Have you thrown up...

Everyday?

Every few days?

Maybe once a week?

When trying new foods?

Only when you've accidently eaten wrong, like too fast or too much

You haven't thrown up since you've been banded, knock-on-wood

I was banded March 25, 2008

Yes I have thrown up! I would throw up occasionally the first six months when I would try new foods or eat improperly - meaning not chewing each bite enough, eating too fast, etc or attempting a food I simply knew I couldn't consume.

However, I developed a concentric pouch dilitation after another abdominal surgery almost a year post op. When that happened, I threw up daily, just about every meal, or anytime I put something in my mouth. It varied. I couldn't pinpoint exactly anything, it was very fickle and not normal or predictable. I thought it was normal for awhile, but it was not. throwing up like that is not normal. once the problem was identified, I went through months of trying to fix it nonsurgically with fills and unfills. Got sick alot. Finally had to have a revision. Hope this helps!

I have thrown up twice since being banded in july '09.

Both times it was food that my stomach couldn't handle.

There was no holding back or trying not to throw up .... it just came and that was that.

I've been banded 4 years and probably only really pb'd 10 times or so.

It always happens to me due to eating too fast and not chewing enough. I'm very prone to it when I'm starving hungry, or when I'm eating with others and not concentrating. There isnt a food my stomach cant handle, only certain foods I have to be more careful with than others. Oh, and potato chips which give me foul, painful acidy heartburn. I dont eat those, ever.

Some of those times have been surprise pb's when I've been unexpectedly tight in the week before my period arrives.

I had only PB'd twice until my last fill this past Tuesday which was too tight and I could't even keep down my morning Protein Shake. It was crazy. I had the ridiculous thought that oh, I'll just hang in there with the restriction because of the holidays coming up it will help me maintain. How stupid can I be? I called my surgeon yesterday morning and she said come in NOW. So I did and she took out .4 cc's. What a relief. I am still tight and it is doing the job but I can swallow with no problem. I will be on liquids for a couple of days to give everything time to settle down and the swelling to go away and then work back into my solids, but it is really no fun being that way and in the end ruins what you are trying so hard to accomplish which is to eat in a normal way and live a healthy life at a normal weight. So, I learned my lesson the hard way but a lesson I won't soon forget and won't repeat. Before my "incident", I was able to eat normally and make healthy choices which is what I will go back to. It has worked for me so far.

I was banded on Aug 11th this year and haven't actually thrown up yet. However, I have had some slimming but no food comes up yet. This is b/c I ate too fast.

have not puked at all...I am very afraid..i am also very conservative on my fills due to this so it is taking longer for me to get the full effect of the band. But I am happy, down 47 pounds which I think is great! good luck