Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Locs/ dreadlocks/ dreads

Has anyone had their surgery and had their hair locs for awhile? I am beginning the long journey towards my surgery and my hair is locked and has been for about 2 years. I want to know how was your hair during the "hair loss/shedding" part. I am not sure how this would work because shed hair is what makes the locs dense. Did you lose any locs? Did you end up cutting your hair? Did nothing change? I would hate to lose any locs but I couldn't imagine cutting my hair and starting over.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Have you thought to let your hair just "breathe free" so it can get some direct nutrients and moisturizers--maybe use Motions, Design Essentials or other [products with NO ALCOHOL, that dry hair]--and give your hair a break from that stuff and possible more entanglement (plus the weight of the added hair)?

Hair loss happens to most; it will need the most direct care, moisture, nutrition, scalp massage you can give it. Not through those materials. Good moisturizers, a flat Iron on low...you're good to go. Stylish. Maybe loosely braid it at night/bedtime; silk scarf or pillow case. Just a thought. Good luck.

Have you thought to let your hair just "breathe free" so it can get some direct nutrients and moisturizers--maybe use Motions, Design Essentials or other [products with NO ALCOHOL, that dry hair]--and give your hair a break from that stuff and possible more entanglement (plus the weight of the added hair)?

Hair loss happens to most; it will need the most direct care, moisture, nutrition, scalp massage you can give it. Not through those materials. Good moisturizers, a flat Iron on low...you're good to go. Stylish. Maybe loosely braid it at night/bedtime; silk scarf or pillow case. Just a thought. Good luck.

This is good information for someone with loose hair, but i have locks and make my own hair products from all natural ingredients and do not apply heat to my hair at all because it is locked...I do not manipulate my hair other than a monthly retwist (if that) and washing every two weeks.

Not sure she understands the loc concept. But there are answers to your question on another thread its a a long one so you will have to search it. its a thread for African american sleevers. I did the big chop and am starting my loc process in jan by that time hopefully and shedding would have come and gone. i am 3 months out from surgery and nothing other than the regular shed after detangling

Hi. I have had my sister locs for over 6 years and recently sleeved August 22, 2016. Keep doing your natural care for your hair and start taking Biotin ASAP. I have not lost any hair yet and hope I don't. With the locs growing as they do, we may not lose hair like everyone else..I'm not sure. But in the paperwork they gave me the Biotin Vitamin was mentioned to possibly curb the Hair loss. I am not going to cut off my locs unless I start losing sections of locs... Wishing you a great journey!

I have new sisterlocs as of February. I wish I had known about the risk of losing hair prior to getting them installed. My surgery was August 3. After I found out about the possibility of Hair loss, I googled. I found a few places where people mentioned losing whole sisterlocs and traditional locs. There is at least one youtuber who documented her loss of sisterlocs and decided to cut them all off due to the bald spots/short hair Patches. Let's hope this doesn't happen to us!

Hi. I have had my sister locs for over 6 years and recently sleeved August 22, 2016. Keep doing your natural care for your hair and start taking Biotin ASAP. I have not lost any hair yet and hope I don't. With the locs growing as they do, we may not lose hair like everyone else..I'm not sure. But in the paperwork they gave me the Biotin Vitamin was mentioned to possibly curb the Hair loss. I am not going to cut off my locs unless I start losing sections of locs... Wishing you a great journey!

I will have to try taking biotin once I get my surgery. I do not want to cut my hair, but if I have to that does give me to opportunity to make my locs thicker like I now wish they were.

I have new sisterlocs as of February. I wish I had known about the risk of losing hair prior to getting them installed. My surgery was August 3. After I found out about the possibility of Hair loss, I googled. I found a few places where people mentioned losing whole sisterlocs and traditional locs. There is at least one youtuber who documented her loss of sisterlocs and decided to cut them all off due to the bald spots/short hair Patches. Let's hope this doesn't happen to us!

Wow. I have only seen one person that has posted in multiple places about losing her locs. And it was thinning on the edges so it looked like something she could have possibly caused. Others I have seen said theirs broke off in the middle, which could also be from poor hair care. I don't really see too many people take this journey with locs and I'd love to see/hear from more people.