Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Genepro- 30 grams of protein/serving untrue?

Hi everyone. I'm 14 months post-op at goal and looking for ways to increase my Protein intake to increase my muscle weight as I exercise. I came across recommendations for GENEPRO on this website but the claims of one scoop having 30 grams of protein seemed too good to be true. After a bit of research on Amazon reviews and searching here it seems others have caught on too. It seems the label is possibly misleading and never states what a serving size is. one scoop may only have 15 grams of protein. I don't have the product so I'm hoping someone out in Bariatric land can confirm the facts and let me know! Can someone also tell me how many calories are in a scoop?

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/330098-Genepro-Users-check-this-out%2E/page__view__findpost__p__3730842

Edited by Bluesea71

It's not physically possible to get 30 grams of Protein from 15 grams of product. Their *claim* is that it's the equivalent of 30 grams of protein, because it is more fully absorbed and utilized by the body than other whey isolate protein powders. I never bought into it. If I were to ever use it, I would treat it as though I was still only getting 15 grams of protein and not count it as 30 in my daily total calculations. It is nice that it mixes so well into other liquids and is pretty flavorless. So I might use it for those advantages, but I'd only count it as 15 grams.

I have been using it for aproximately 10 months. I have read all the negatives but I can tell you I love it and it works for me. A gentleman that worked for the company contacted me after reading I was having a hard time getting my Protein in after surgery. Stated his mother inlaw used it after her surgery....he even sent me some samples. With GENEPRO I have been able to keep my Protein level up to the 120 that I need with a DS. I still have a real hard time with most meats. Since I have been able to keep my protein up and have kept up with my Vitamins I have not lost any of my hair (I was expecting to since I did lose all of my hair with a previous surgery). My hair is back thick like it was when I was young and it is curly and I have never had curly hair!!! Just stating this has worked for me I have no complaints.....I count it as 30gm of protein....I mix it with Crystal Light Lemonade and keep it on my desk and sip on it all day....If I'm a little short at the end of the day....I mix another one and take it to bed with me and sip on it all night.....I get Water in at the same time.

I use this product daily and it says right on the front of the package. 30 g of Protein in 1 tbsp. serving. I am 7 months out and all my tests have come back flawless so I am going to keep using it.

~LA

I buy it from Amazon. I am a Prime member and the shipping is free and comes in 2 days. Plus it's only $38 and is flavorless. I bought unjury and half of the container is still sitting in my cupboard. I should just throw it out as it is awful.

I put one scoop of GENEPRO in my coffee every morning religiously. If I have oatmeal I add it in before I heat it up. It mixes better. I don't count my grams,calories, carbs, Water etc. I just always have Protein first and Water to drink as often as I can.

Good luck-

LA

@@SeahawksFan - thanks I am looking for an unflavored Protein and that sounds like what I am looking for.....

@@SeahawksFan - thanks I am looking for an unflavored Protein and that sounds like what I am looking for.....

You will love it!! It mixes well and you don't have all those nasty yucky clumps...no running through a blender. As stated if you are going to heat it...ist is better to mix before heated. You can sprinkle it dry on salads or anything!! I buy mine from Amazon....I'm not a Prime member....but I usually get it in a few days....no freight charge.

Think of it like gasoline in a car....... put the same one gallon in two cars and one might get 30 miles on it while the other might only get 10. How it is absorbed by the body definitely makes a difference, so I'll consider their claims until I hear definitive information to the contrary.

I have been using GENEPRO for over a year and only tried it after I could not find a single other Protein powder I could stand. :wacko: (And I tried them all)

It has worked very well for me, so I keep using it. To each their own. ;)

I was poking around on the web about this and found this on one of the body building boards:

LARGEbagFrontWEB.jpgHey there guys. I am the Doctor/Genetic Bio-Scientist that invented GENEPRO and am the owner of Musclegen Research. Serving size is 1 Tablespoon = 30g of Protein.. Here is a little about the product and the difference between GENEPRO and any other Protein on the market. We are working with bodybuilding.com to carry Genepro as well as out other products..

What makes Genepro so unique is that we are able to reduce the protein molecule to half the size of normal protein through a process called Electrophoresis. This is a reverse electrical polarity method of extracting pure protein. In essence we take protein molecules that, for reference, are the size of a baseball. We push these baseball sized protein molecules through a Polyacrylamide gel (the gel stays below 87 degrees F) and introduce electricity through the gel. This process removes hydrogen ions, allergens and any fillers or binders so we are able to then bind the protein with a strand of six amino acids called a Hexapeptide which stabilizes the molecular structure. This hexapeptide increases shelf life of the protein as well as balancing the bitter taste that is present with the protein after electrophoresis and actually gives the protein a slightly sweet undertone. The protein is pushed through a filtration system and into a centrifuge which results in a pure protein molecule that is now the size of a golf ball (for reference). You may not be able to fit 30 baseballs into a shoe box but you can fit 30 golf balls. Thus giving us the ability to get 30grams of protein in a 1TBS serving size. This process also changes the caloritic count as well to 3.2 calories per gram of protein. The process as well at the hexapeptide are patent pending and have never been used before in nutrition (it's a genetic process that is used primarily in forensic science). The other interesting fact is that most protein supplements digest in the lower GI and whey is absorbed at only 31% so if you're "taking" 30g of whey, your body is only taking in 9g. Genepro is digested in the upper GI which eliminates gluten, lactose and bowel sensitivity and absorbs at a rate of 94% which makes it 3 times more effective than any other protein on the planet (medical or open market). Flavorless and odorless and can be mixed instantly in any food or beverage (hot or cold) without changing the taste or consistency. Truly the most complex and advanced protein on the planet. Each 1pound container comes with 3 empty, re-useable travel pouches that make it super convenient to use anytime, anywhere and in anything.

I've been using GENEPRO for several months now and absolutely love it! The package does say 30 gr Protein per scoop which is equivalent to one tablespoon. I also have heard some folks say this may be a physical impossibility as well. Here's what I do because the powder is literally tasteless and mixes into anything hot or cold. I mix a little scoop into my coffee in the morning, then one more into each meal during the day. Now if I were getting the full 30 gr of Protein technically I would be eating 120 gr of protein each day. But often I cannot finish a cup of coffee or a meal... and I do think about the claim that it may not really be a full 30 gr of protein... so in the end of the day I estimate I probably eat around 60-90 gr of protein which is exactly where my doctor wants me. This is in addition to any other protein sources I might get during a day which isn't a lot because I am a vegetarian. I just had my 6 month follow-up visit yesterday and all my lab-work came back awesome, I feel great, My dr and nut are on board with my eating plan... so I will keep going. Good luck everyone!

Edited by Debbieduck4

Just to clarify: this can be mixed into HOT things like freshly brewed coffee or hot Soup? TIA

Does anyone know where sample size can be purchased?

Edited by gigito2

I went ahead and purchased a package of GENEPRO on Amazon yesterday morning. With the same day free Amazon Prime time shipping, it was delivered by 7pm.

I was initially shocked how small the package was for $38. It holds one pound (30 servings.) For you visual types, this is about the same power volume you get in one container in powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder. I was also questioning why they charged tax. Isn't this considered a food? Lol. Maybe it's so engineered they can't consider it a food any more ????

On the front of the package it states, "30G Protein* per 1 TBSP serving. Please note the asterisk. Below the asterisk states EQUIVALENT. I am not a scientist, but came across some reviews questioning what exactly this stuff is made out of. The package claims the product has not been evaluated by the FDA and isn't meant to diagnose, treat or cure any disease. I was unable to locate any independent research studies online backing up the company's claims, so the only information I have to go on regarding the products reliability is BP user reviews who claim their labs came back awesome. Still, I have to wonder, if this stuff is so awesome, why is it only available on the company website and on Amazon? Wouldn't GNC and gyms be crawling all over each other to stock up on this stuff? I personally found unflavored Unjury disgusting... But there is peace of mind knowing it is medical quality Protein used in hospitals. For comparison, a scoop of their product has 21 grams of protein.

Taste and performance wise I will give this stuff a 10 out of 10. It is a fine powder and I can't taste it at all. I poured a scoop into my morning coffee and it mixed right in. Not a clump in site. Not one aftertaste. I took a sip to confirm before adding in my flavored Creamer to be sure! I am likely to use it because it doesn't taste bad. I will continue to use it in my coffee for that reason. I have 3 unopened containers of unflavored Unjury in my cabinet one year later. That stuff clumps up in your coffee and leaves a horrible after taste. I ended up not eating/drinking whatever I added it to.

I am 14 months post-op at goal and looking to add more protein as I want to add more muscle tone to my body. I've become kinda lax with the protein the last several months so looking for easy ways to increase it. I will let you know if this helps!

I miss using GENEPRO, I ran out and don't have access to it here. I bought Quest unflavored and it's disgusting, so is Syntrax matrix unflavored. I'm going to repurchase when I head back to the states, it mixes easily in my food (esp cottage cheese), and couldn't taste it. If you are going to buy unflavored, stick to GENEPRO.< /p>